• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pro Football Talk on Matt Rhule

Toker Smurf

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

sunk cost fallacy

If Rhule doesn't have it, which he clearly doesn't look to have it at all.....there is no point wasting more time with him.   

Parting with a HC after two years isn't some crazy and ballsy move in the NFL.   That is actually pretty normal in the NFL when a team gets stuck with someone he clearly isn't going to work. 

I might believe it if it were JR running the ship. He always refused to fire a HC preferring to just let his contract expire. Tepper in the other hand let's Rhule stay without a strong finish says he's really not committed to winning long term. With a new stadium in the works I can't see him staying with a dud HC. 

Rhule has done enough to get fired already, all that is left are some games to prove why he shouldn't be fired.

If he can't do it now what could he do to do better next year? Study? Practice? Hire an experienced OC thats going to teach him how the NFL works and how to be an NFL HC?

The 3rd year isn't automatic, even Ron had to rally at the end of his 2nd year. It's not just wins and loses but showing reasons why we can't do better elsewhere. So far he has failed to do that.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

36 minutes ago, frankw said:

Yeah the whole "he wasn't available Saturday" thing is bizarre. All this time through the offensive struggles I assumed Rhule had to be in Joe's ear on the regular. But this is an example of what people have been talking about with lack of both accountability and clear vision.

That comment stuck out to me, too.

Also the comment earlier in the season about not having sat down with just Sam before until after the dude came apart... Seemed weird for an HC not to be more involved in a rehabilitation project at QB...

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

16 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

If Tepper decides Rhule doesn't have what it takes, he will not hesitate to fire him. I personally believe Rhule is a dead man walking unless we go 4-1 or 5-0 to close out the season.

I think the competitiveness of the team across all phases will be more important than record.  If we see a crazy offensive turnaround, and the D shores up vs the run even a bit, I could see him riding the Brady firing into next year.

• Beer 2

12 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

If Ruhle is the HC next year, this franchise could go to lows we haven’t seen before and fan morale will probably be at a place it should never be.  Ruhle is very uninspiring and I’m sure it’s even worse to observe him as a player. 

Bingo. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I think the competitiveness of the team across all phases will be more important than record.  If we see a crazy offensive turnaround, and the D shores up vs the run even a bit, I could see him riding the Brady firing into next year.

And we know that not only will neither of those things happen, it's more than possible we'll get shut out once or twice down the stretch, and we'll surrender more than 40 2-3 times down the stretch.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

And we know that not only will neither of those things happen, it's more than possible we'll get shut out once or twice down the stretch, and we'll surrender more than 40 2-3 times down the stretch.

For sure. I certainly don't think he's capable of coaching this team to competitiveness anymore.

We all know there is a learning curve leaping from college to pros. I think too many Panther fans overestimated this team heading into 2021. I didn't expect us to make the playoffs this year. I was hoping for a 9-10 win season, setting the stage for a strong playoff run in 2022.

However, I didn't think the team would play so poorly this season. Last year 8 of our 11 losses were by one score or less. We were soundly beaten 3 times last season (once to NO and twice by Tampa). Every other game was literally decided in the final minutes. This year we've had games where we couldn't score a point in the 2nd half. And, we got swept by the NFC EAST, a division that didn't have a team finish above .500 in 2020. And, arguably our worst defeat of the season was to the Giants, one of the weakest teams in the league. Our inability to score points in the 3rd quarter is mind blowing.

Our drafts and personnel decisions are highly questionable. Not coming away with at least one bonafide starter for the OL this past draft is inexcusable. Brady may not be the answer at LT, but we really don't know because Rhule refuses to play him there despite picking him in the 3rd round.. Drafting WR TMJ in round 2 may pay off down the road, but he really hasn't contributed anything this season. Jaycee Horn is hurt so he gets a pass, but he only played 3 games. You can make an argument that none of our 2021 draftees have had a strong impact thru our first twelve games. You can't have that for a team undergoing a rebuild.

Now, we don't have picks in the 2nd or 3rd round this year, so we only get to make selections on Day 1 and Day 3 of the 2022 draft. The CJ Henderson trade is a head scratcher. Even after Horn's injury we had DJ, Bouye, and Taylor. That was a trade we didn''t have to make. Plus, keeping TE Arnold probably would have helped our passing game.

I don't care if Rhule is gone at season's end. But, I can see giving him one more year. plus it may be hard finding a guy who can come in and turn things around immediately with the lack of draft choices in 2022. If he does return he needs to be on the hot seat. The current team performance is unacceptable.

• Pie 1