• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper's Next HC: Get a Search Committee

saX man

I like the idea of getting someone outside of the organization, but you have to remember that football is a good ol' boys network and people are going to draw from their own circles.  Gettleman worked with Accorsi, so its no surprise that Accorsi recommended Gettleman twice.  You can pull in a Tony Dungy, but he's going to be fixated on guys like Caldwell, Herm Edwards, etc.  I think you want to avoid having too many chefs in the kitchen, but it does seem like there needs to be at least 2-3 guys pulled together who have distinctly different circles they've run in.

Its crazy how interwoven things get when you start piecing together how certain people ended up getting certain jobs, based on who they knew.  

58 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

If you listen to people who are close to the organization, there are actually 3 different phases of Jerry's ownership of the Cowboys.  You can split up Jerry's ownership in the 2 parts that you just mentioned.  But they said that Jerry has quietly given power to others in the organization to make football decisions for the last 8-10 years.  Jerry is still front and center when it comes to the microphone.  But he's more of a figurehead at this point, while other people are making the actual decisions.

The change in approach has corresponded with the sudden uptick in wins and competitiveness over that time.

Haven't heard other names, but I do know recent years' improvements in the organization have been credited to the rise of Jones'son Stephen. Unlike his dad, Stephen actually seems to have a brain cell or two.

I know previously, after years of sh-t shows like Chan Gailey and Dave Campo, people convinced Jones to go with a football guru in Bill Parcells. But when Parcells failed to deliver a championship, Jones felt emboldened that "his way" was just as good.

Luckily for Cowboy fans like my significant other, there's Stephen.

Edited by Mr. Scot

51 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

I like the idea of getting someone outside of the organization, but you have to remember that football is a good ol' boys network and people are going to draw from their own circles.  Gettleman worked with Accorsi, so its no surprise that Accorsi recommended Gettleman twice.  You can pull in a Tony Dungy, but he's going to be fixated on guys like Caldwell, Herm Edwards, etc.  I think you want to avoid having too many chefs in the kitchen, but it does seem like there needs to be at least 2-3 guys pulled together who have distinctly different circles they've run in.

Its crazy how interwoven things get when you start piecing together how certain people ended up getting certain jobs, based on who they knew.  

One thing that should probably be distinguished here: There's a difference between search firms and individual consultants.

Guys like Accorsi, Dungy and Ron Wolf are individuals with individual connections. Search firms aren't necessarily tied to particular coaches.

Heck, the Texans used a firm in their GM search that actually have them some good recommendations. Unfortunately for them, Cal McNair tossed those aside and hired the guy Jack Easterby wanted.

• Pie 2

He all ready had one when he hired Matt Rhule. Now tell me how you think that same search committee would do any better. Plus every one of the negative people on this forum give up way to easy. I could tell Joe Brady  was a problem last year just for the fact that he had trouble when we were in the redzone. Good to great OC don't have less than a 60% conversation rate in the redzone. Coach Rhule has had lots of bad advice this last two seasons. Most of that bad advice came from the owner. Tepper thinks he can win yousing data what a joke. You can't miser how much hurt a man has. 

Just now, John2k2k said:

He all ready had one when he hired Matt Rhule. Now tell me how you think that same search committee would do any better. Plus every one of the negative people on this forum give up way to easy. I could tell Joe Brady  was a problem last year just for the fact that he had trouble when we were in the redzone. Good to great OC don't have less than a 60% conversation rate in the redzone. Coach Rhule has had lots of bad advice this last two seasons. Most of that bad advice came from the owner. Tepper thinks he can win yousing data what a joke. You can't miser how much hurt a man has. 

Tepper's "search committee" was Marty Hurney, PR guy Steven Drummond and himself.

18 minutes ago, John2k2k said:

OK so you think the new committee would do any  better. You realize Tepper would be the one who hires them. If you don't  trust his hiring of the Head Coach how could you trust the hire of his new committee 

Better than the worst coach we've ever had? I'd certainly like to think so.

To be clear, I'm fine with the search being trusted to Scott Fitterer and Dan Morgan. Or if we go outside to someone like Kevin Colbert.

Yes because I can name tons of resons Why Joe Brady was not going to work out. All you have is he hired Joe witch I don't  think he did. I no for a fact Brady is the reason we hired Teddy. I also believe teddy was right about our lack of practice in certain situations. You could say It's because of the Head Coach but you don't pay an OC that much not to coach it the way they see fit.

1 hour ago, John2k2k said:

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tepper's "search committee" was Marty Hurney, PR guy Steven Drummond and himself.

Yeah, that's not exactly what I would call a great search committee. It needs to be outsourced.

22 minutes ago, John2k2k said:

Yes because I can name tons of resons Why Joe Brady was not going to work out. All you have is he hired Joe witch I don't  think he did. I no for a fact Brady is the reason we hired Teddy. I also believe teddy was right about our lack of practice in certain situations. You could say It's because of the Head Coach but you don't pay an OC that much not to coach it the way they see fit.

Yikes 😬