• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Blunders of Matt Rhule

davos

Just now, mc52beast said:

Can someone tell me who he benched twice? I can’t freaking believe this.

Cam Newton.  Today.  Benched him for PJ.  PJ struts in and throws a pick.  Comes out of the half, puts Cam back out there only to bench again with fans booing the move.  (Correct if I'm wrong here)

I'll provide a few Devil's advocate responses to keep the evaluation fair.  But some of these points can't be dismissed.

• Hires a OC w/ basically zero coordinator experience and was even more green than Rhule

YEAH, THIS ONE WAS A HUGE MISTAKE.  BRADY NEVER CALLED PLAYS BEFORE 

• Hires a bunch of yes men he's worked with in college.  Strangely leaned more heavily to his Temple days than Baylor.  

SNOW HAS DONE PRETTY WELL.  IT'S GOOD TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR TEAM

• Unceremoniously releases Cam after praising him publicly.  Can still argue this was a move we needed to make but handled poorly

HAD TO BE DONE DUE TO CAM'S SALARY DEMANDS.  STILL IT WAS POORLY HANDLED

• Drafts Derrick Brown.  I wouldn't classify a bust but he does not look worthy of that pick when we had the best OT in forever at our disposal. Puke.  He's playing no different than plenty of DTs taken from rounds 1-3 in the past few years.

BUILDING FROM THE LINES OUT IS A GOOD STRATEGY.  BROWN WAS SEC DEF POY.

• Notable QBs we've passed on: Gardner Minshew, Jalen Hurts, Mac Jones, Justin Fields, the list goes on.  I think we could've traded up for Herbert too if we wanted.

PROBABLY WANTED TO GO LT BUT PENEI SEWELL GOT TAKEN #7

SLATER WAS AVAILABLE AT #8 BUT HAS SHORT ARMS.  ANALYTICS DUMB

SLATER CURRENTLY IN THE OROY DISCUSSION.  

• Overpaid for Teddy Bridgewater hoping he and the OC were destined for great things, and bailed faster than hell

BRIDGEWATER IS WHAT HE IS.  FOR A BRIDGE QB, SHOULD HAVE BEEN FINE

MISTAKE WAS DUMPING HIM SO FAST FOR A LOTTERY TICKET IN DARNOLD 

• For some reason decided to reclaim Sam Darnold after failing to land Stafford and Watson. 

TOOK A RISK ON A GOOD PEDIGREE RECLAMATION PROJECT AND FAILED.  

• Has a weird pattern of just getting worse the more time goes by

OTHER COACHES GET TAPE ON HIM AND HE DOESN'T ADJUST.   JUST THE SAME STUFF

• Not to mention this whole Christensen debacle after they claimed they drafted him BECAUSE THEY COULD SEE TACKLE POTENTIAL

PICK G OR LT AND LET THE KID LEARN THERE.  THE MOVEMENT HURTS HIS DEVELOPMENT

• Today did a most bewildering thing in benching the starter twice in a single game.  His in game decisions are now getting straight up boo'd by the fans

MAJOR SNAFU - THIS IS NOT DONE IN THE NFL.  I GUESS RHULE NEVER GOT THAT MEMO

Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Pie 5
  • Poo 3

Just now, chknwing said:

I think this team could be in a very good position if they just kept cam.  

Yup. We may not have been playoff bound but could have rolled with Cam and Kyle Allen (or Heineke) until we found our next guy. And saved half of next years draft picks. The QB moves were a blunder at every turn. They’re continuously making the wrong move and then make a new panicky one to help make up for it. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I'll provide a few Devil's advocate responses to keep the evaluation fair.  But some of these points can't be dismissed.

• Hires a OC w/ basically zero coordinator experience and was even more green than Rhule

YEAH, THIS ONE WAS A HUGE MISTAKE.  BRADY NEVER CALLED PLAYS BEFORE 

• Hires a bunch of yes men he's worked with in college.  Strangely leaned more heavily to his Temple days than Baylor.  

SNOW HAS DONE PRETTY WELL.  IT'S GOOD TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR TEAM

• Unceremoniously releases Cam after praising him publicly.  Can still argue this was a move we needed to make but handled poorly

HAD TO BE DONE DUE TO CAM'S SALARY DEMANDS.  STILL IT WAS POORLY HANDLED

• Drafts Derrick Brown.  I wouldn't classify a bust but he does not look worthy of that pick when we had the best OT in forever at our disposal. Puke.  He's playing no different than plenty of DTs taken from rounds 1-3 in the past few years.

BUILDING FROM THE LINES OUT IS A GOOD STRATEGY.  BROWN WAS SEC DEF POY.

• Notable QBs we've passed on: Gardner Minshew, Jalen Hurts, Mac Jones, Justin Fields, the list goes on.  I think we could've traded up for Herbert too if we wanted.

PROBABLY WANTED TO GO LT BUT PENEI SEWELL GOT TAKEN #7

SLATER WAS AVAILABLE AT #8 BUT HAS SHORT ARMS.  ANALYTICS DUMB

SLATER CURRENTLY IN THE OROY DISCUSSION.  

• Overpaid for Teddy Bridgewater hoping he and the OC were destined for great things, and bailed faster than hell

BRIDGEWATER IS WHAT HE IS.  FOR A BRIDGE QB, SHOULD HAVE BEEN FINE

MISTAKE WAS DUMPING HIM SO FAST FOR A LOTTERY TICKET IN DARNOLD 

• For some reason decided to reclaim Sam Darnold after failing to land Stafford and Watson. 

TOOK A RISK ON A GOOD PEDIGREE RECLAMATION PROJECT AND FAILED.  

• Has a weird pattern of just getting worse the more time goes by

OTHER COACHES GET TAPE ON HIM AND HE DOESN'T ADJUST.   JUST THE SAME STUFF

• Not to mention this whole Christensen debacle after they claimed they drafted him BECAUSE THEY COULD SEE TACKLE POTENTIAL

PICK G OR LT AND LET THE KID LEARN THERE.  THE MOVEMENT HURTS HIS DEVELOPMENT

• Today did a most bewildering thing in benching the starter twice in a single game.  His in game decisions are now getting straight up boo'd by the fans

MAJOR SNAFU - THIS IS NOT DONE IN THE NFL.  I GUESS RHULE NEVER GOT THAT MEMO

Stopping at the first point because I see this slung around here a lot and nowhere else… Brady did call plays at LSU. They were all the 5-wide and any empty sets. So he called about 1/3 of the plays for LSU the year he was there. Plus it was his offense that was installed. 

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

Stopping at the first point because I see this slung around here a lot and nowhere else… Brady did call plays at LSU. They were all the 5-wide and any empty sets. So he called about 1/3 of the plays for LSU the year he was there. Plus it was his offense that was installed. 

I knew they used his offense but didn't know Brady was involved in any game play calling.  

Still the point is valid.  Brady was not even the LSU OC.  He was very inexperienced to take on an NFL OC role.  

• Pie 1