• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Blunders of Matt Rhule

davos

1 hour ago, davos said:

Cam Newton.  Today.  Benched him for PJ.  PJ struts in and throws a pick.  Comes out of the half, puts Cam back out there only to bench again with fans booing the move.  (Correct if I'm wrong here)

It is a stretch to say Cam was benched today. Was Drew Brees "benched" everytime Taysom Hill came in last season?

• Pie 1

I started getting bad vibes when Luke K said he didn’t want to be a part of the staff anymore. That guy lives and breathes football. 

Fortunately or unfortunately…I think he’s gonna get canned at the end of the year. I think he probably loses out and with the number of moves that have been made to try and win now (even while rebuilding) I think Tepper is gonna be impatient. 

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Newton has more 2 minute drills run in his career than PJ Walker has years in existence.

Familiarity or not, I just don't buy that Walker was better suited to run anything than Newton.

100% Agree.  When you've got a guy that built a career out of it and knows to take accountability for his mistakes, benching him for a lesser player is just a poor move all around.  You're not proving anything or teaching a lesson.  Keep the best man for the job in there.

I will say, the changeup of Jeremy Chinn's role is also very high on my list of gripes.  

There's just too many at this point.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, unicar15 said:

I started getting bad vibes when Luke K said he didn’t want to be a part of the staff anymore. That guy lives and breathes football. 

Fortunately or unfortunately…I think he’s gonna get canned at the end of the year. I think he probably loses out and with the number of moves that have been made to try and win now (even while rebuilding) I think Tepper is gonna be impatient. 

I only briefly mentioned Luke because I didn't want to be to assumption based but that's my inclination as well.  He didn't get a good impression from these guys and bailed. He's too smart IMO.  He's taking time away from the sport but I can see him returning in a coaching capacity at some point, hell, maybe Vrabel style.

It may sound like a stretch but I'd be down for him to become a DC.  The way he could dissect pre-snap, his film junkiness to him..he loves the sport.  Imagine having that still as an asset, aiding our hopefully new young promising LB we'll pick up in this next year.  I honestly think he has an extremely bright future for whatever he does, and NFL coaching could be one of those things.    

3 minutes ago, davos said:

I only briefly mentioned Luke because I didn't want to be to assumption based but that's my inclination as well.  He didn't get a good impression from these guys and bailed. He's too smart IMO.  He's taking time away from the sport but I can see him returning in a coaching capacity at some point, hell, maybe Vrabel style.

It may sound like a stretch but I'd be down for him to become a DC.  The way he could dissect pre-snap, his film junkiness to him..he loves the sport.  Imagine having that still as an asset, aiding our hopefully new young promising LB we'll pick up in this next year.  I honestly think he has an extremely bright future for whatever he does, and NFL coaching could be one of those things.    

Luke leaves the staff and Chinn goes from a pro bowl/all pro level rookie talent to a role player. He’s playing like a jag. Chinn said his rookie year he worked with Luke one on one in film study. I know Chinn moved positions but what the fug. What is this staff doing relegating one of our most talented defensive pieces to this. If Tepper gives this staff another year that’s another year of our young players missing out on nfl level coaching. I’d even point to brown looking worse then his rookie year. We have one of the youngest rosters in the nfl. Get nfl coaching in here ASAP.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Luke leaves the staff and Chinn goes from a pro bowl/all pro level rookie talent to a role player. He’s playing like a jag. Chinn said his rookie year he worked with Luke one on one in film study. I know Chinn moved positions but what the fug. What is this staff doing relegating one of our most talented defensive pieces to this. If Tepper gives this staff another year that’s another year of our young players missing out on nfl level coaching. I’d even point to brown looking worse then his rookie year. We have one of the youngest rosters in the nfl. Get nfl coaching in here ASAP.

Chinn really is our most well-rounded and talented player of defense.  Burns is more on the splashy pass-rusher side but Chinn brings it all.  There is really zero excuse for him to have disappeared this much.  They've made him this safety valve and aren't even really using him to his strengths anymore.  I do wonder if we rely on analytics so much that they're actually not doing much of film study and strategizing week-to-week.  I don't feel they go detective mode against teams like Luke loved to do.  We were so lucky with Luke because he was coaching while he played.  Unbelievable.  QBs and OLs have attested to that being their least favorite thing about playing us.    

Luke leaving with the "stepping away from football" reasoning never felt right. He just loves the sport too much for it to be without other extenuating factors.   

15 hours ago, chknwing said:

I think this team could be in a very good position if they just kept cam.  

This just isn't a realistic option. 

Cam was on the last year of his deal. There were 2 options #1) Play out 2019 on the last year of the deal and franchise him for 2021 (this was never going to happen)  #2) Extend him prior to last year.. You'd be sitting on a 32 year old QB with presumably 3 years and 100 million left on his contract.. He wasn't taking a hometown discount. 

So the better shape thing I don't agree with.. You'd have a QB on the downside of his career behind a line (that you'd still not have much money to fix) and a franchise RB that can't stay healthy.. 

The best alternative would have been to let Cam walk (in a much more dignified way) and NOT have picked up Darnolds 5th year (roiling the dice on Darnold wasn't the bad play here, picking up his option before he took 1 snap was)... Imagine sitting here with 0 dollars tied up at QB going in to 2022?? Only having CMC's awful deal on the books is much better than 2 awful deals on the books. 

14 hours ago, Evil Hurney said:

It is a stretch to say Cam was benched today. Was Drew Brees "benched" everytime Taysom Hill came in last season?

Hill came in essentially for a gadget run package.   A variation of pulling a QB to run the wildcat IMO. 

I wouldn't say that is what we saw with PJ. 

• Pie 1