• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At the very least Rhule should lose personel decisions.

Zod

Once you do that, you may as well fire him as HC.  By removing his personnel powers, you basically already tell him you are dissatisfied with his work and that will only create more friction/mistrust, especially if and when we missed the playoffs under him again next year.

It is a shame because it isn't like we don't have talent.  This team could easily turn it around and make the playoffs next year.  But we mishandled this rebuild from the get go.  We should have rode with Kyle Allen in 2020.  We should have tanked.  

Instead we spent money and picks on things that aren't going to get us anywhere right now.  I mean I actually think CJ Henderson has played very well and him and Horn are going to be a great combination next year.  So that trade in isolation, to me, isn't bad.  But when you consider we did it after already spending (wasting) a 2nd round pick next year on Darnold?  Sheesh.  It just hurts.  

I tried to be the optimistic and supported Rhule, but the mismanagement of this team has been baffling to say the least.  I don't see how you can advocate bringing him back next year.  As fans, we were given the illusion that Rhule was brought here to rebuild this team and take us through a process.  That should, at the very least, mean having a QB on the roster who inspires confidence for the future.  Bears suck, but at least they have Justin Fields to look forward to.  Jaguars suck, but at least they have Trevor Lawrence to look forward to.  Zach Wilson is just horrible, but the Jets will just get another super high-pick and have other draft picks at their disposal.

Panthers wasted picks, wasted money, and have nothing to look forward to at QB.  We wasted a prime opportunity to rebuild, just to end up likely having to rebuild anyway.  

And if we keep Rhule, how much worse can it get?  I'm starting to think a lot worse.  There is a big difference between building a college team around and building a pro team around.  

And all of this doesn't even touch on the fact that it is his ability to coach on gameday that is probably worse than anything else.  I can see the roster being turned around, easily.  But I don't think Rhule is going to get much better as a gameday coach.  

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, Chosen Newton said:

Why is everyone acting like the defense is not the problem..we got big ticket cj Henderson and stephon Gilmore and yet we're still giving up 28 points to ATL without calvin Ridley. Phil snow should have been let go with joe brady, this defense can't get a stop for their life. 

I wouldn't exactly call Henderson "big ticket", but even without that your point is valid. The "problem" is that we look good on paper (though from what I'm seeing, there's a disconnect with reality somewhere). Snow looks like he calls decent plays and has done enough to field an above average defense. Perhaps it just comes down to better execution, particularly on the money downs. If Snow could get that down, our defense on paper and our defense in reality would appear like one and the same. 

28 minutes ago, Waldo said:

That will fix the bad coaching and in-game personnel decisions...

This changes nothing really. Those 2 were guys Rhule wanted here like the rest of his staff. 

Burn it all down!

I agree. If you’re going to go this route, let Fit and co choose their own guy and just get rid of Rhule. This was also agreed on when Rhule was hired. No need to break terms and create another mess, just cut ties.

If by some idiot reasons Rhule is retained, need to accept the poo show must go on.

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

Once you do that, you may as well fire him as HC.  By removing his personnel powers, you basically already tell him you are dissatisfied with his work and that will only create more friction/mistrust, especially if and when we missed the playoffs under him again next year.

Yeah, Rhule insisted on total control before accepting the Panthers head coaching job.

I suspect Matt's contract would be explicit when it comes to his span of control to prevent a situation like the OP is suggesting from occurring, at least without new contract negotiations.

At that point, it is likely best if both sides just part ways for the reasons you've already mentioned.

8 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Didn't watch the game eh?  Yea, I get ya.

Just to bring you up to speed, the defense only gave up 22 points.  Falcons defense scored 7 against our offense.  A second Falcons TD happened because we handed them a short field on a fumble.  A third score, a FG this time, happened on an 18 yard Falcons drive.  You guessed it, gave up the ball on our side of the 50 again.

On scoring drives, the Falcons starting field position was:  ATL 25, ATL 49, ATL 25, CAR 49, CAR 48.  On non-scoring drives, Falcons starting FP was:  ATL 25, ATL 11, ATL 46 (half), ATL 44, ATL 40 (game).  You cannot win with the FP so firmly in the opponents favor.

You put your defense in crap situations and you lose.  That's it.

If you don't think D# has been an issue for a good part of the season, despite how much we invested in it, it's probably not him the one who didn't watch the game(s)

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Yea, there was one.  I remember the threads.  Probably early last season.

I honestly can't remember, but early would make sense because there wasn't any tape on him yet.

Maybe Rivera late last year because Ron was too stubborn to pull Haskins, but Ron got him this year.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I honestly can't remember, but early would make sense because there wasn't any tape on him yet.

Maybe Rivera late last year because Ron was too stubborn to pull Haskins, but Ron got him this year.

Only game I remember was the KC game, coaching actually looked decent. But granted it was still a loss. Honestly I think that was the peak of this regimen, as silly as that sounds.