• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Aho & Jarvis: COVID Protocol

Anybodyhome

https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-minnesota-wild-game-postponed-due-to-covid-19/c-328987178

The game between the Carolina Hurricanes and Minnesota Wild at Xcel Energy Center on Tuesday has been postponed after four more Hurricanes entered NHL COVID-19 protocol.

Forwards Jordan Staal, Andrei Svechnikov and Steven Lorentz, and defenseman Ian Cole entered protocol on Tuesday, one day after Carolina forwards Sebastian Aho and Seth Jarvis, and a member of the training staff, did. 

The NHL said it will provide a further update Wednesday. The Hurricanes are scheduled for a home game against the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday, when the Wild are scheduled to play the Buffalo Sabres in St. Paul, Minnesota.

The Hurricanes' game at the Wild was the ninth postponed this season because of COVID-19 concerns. The NHL announced Monday that the Calgary Flames had three games postponed, at the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday, at the Nashville Predators on Tuesday and at home against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday.

The New York Islanders had games Nov. 28 (New York Rangers) and Nov. 30 (Philadelphia Flyers) postponed, and the Ottawa Senators had games Nov. 16 (New Jersey Devils) Nov. 18 (Predators) and Nov. 20 (Rangers) postponed.

The NHL had 55 games postponed last season; all were made up as part of a 56-game schedule.

•  
  • Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

The league is heading for a holiday screeching halt.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the whole thing shut down until after the holidays. Don't forget how many NHL guys are supposed to play for their Olympic teams as well. How about when those guys start testing positive....

Right now it sounds like they will have to spend 3-5 weeks in a Chinese hospital quarantine unit if they test positive in China, even if they are asymptotic. Basically a month give or take, so if a guy tests positive near the end of the Olympics they still won’t be able to rejoin their team here until basically April.

I highly doubt the NHL’ers are going to want to do that, so it sounds like we might get the scrub league this go round in the olympics. I’ve heard rumors/suggestions of doing a World Cup of Hockey this or next summer to make up for it if the players decide to opt out. 

But people are putting the chance very low that the NHLPA actually decides to do the Olympics. Even lower since covid has started to run rampant. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 2

Started with many in Calgary....Canes play the Flames so all our players are in close contact.  We travel to Edmonton and play with exposed players so I expect Edmonton to start seeing some of their players in the protocol.  We then played Vancouver without Aho, but the rest of the Canes now in the protocol played against Vancouver so we should start seeing some Canucks going down to Covid shortly.

Who knew Calgary would be a super spreader event?  The league was smart to postpone their games, but as soon as they announced it I was very concerned about our guys.  I wonder if this is Delta or is it Omicron? 

At any rate this has to have the league at least shut down common opponents of Calgary, Carolina, Edmonton, and Vancouver - just my opinion.  The Bruins, Maple Leafs, and Blue Jackets better be concerned.

• Pie 1

My biggest complaint right now is the obvious lack of transparency and forthcoming on the part of the NHL right now. Virtually nothing new this morning following a league-wide conference call last night, while both the NBA and NFL are facing a huge number of players testing positive.

Last season the NHL was on top of the world when it came to protocols and player safety, yet this year it seems they're trying any and everything to get as many games in as possible, perhaps risking a league-wide pandemic in the process.

• Pie 2

Pierre thinks we are playing Thursday since we had no more positive tests today. This just after we sent poturalski back to the AHL so either the NHL media is getting it wrong or the NHL hasn’t announced yet. 

If we play and can’t bring him back up we are looking at 14 players 7O, 7D. 15 if we bring Poturalski back up. Hopefully the league and PA will change the cap/add taxi squads back. So we can at least field a full roster. 

• Pie 1