• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are fans the only ones screaming for Rhule's head/firing?

CarolinaLivin

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/why-moving-on-from-matt-rhule-now-would-make-zero-sense

I keep seeing articles of how Rhule and Panthers can fix this, what we can do next, etc.

Articles like above stating it wouldn't make since to fire him so soon and blah blah blah, read if you'd like to see their argument.

Question(s):

Are there people out there (in the fanbase) that want one more year? Just to at least see?

I would like to see Rhule fired myself, but am I and those wanting Rhule fired overreacting? 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

This isn't about his off-season moves, draft picks, or even the win loss record. He is getting out coached and out maneuvered at every single turn. Everyone has a game plan until they get hit. Rhule is getting beat down with no adjustments at all to his game plan. Sometimes you just have to realize your guy is outclassed and throw in the towel before it turns into more of a bloodbath.

Which I agree with. I don't think Rhule is a bad coach. I just think his "culture"/"structure" is built more for the college level. And I don't think he can adapt/keep up. Every coach has a couple roster moves they mess up on. So overall im not mad with the roster moves, obviously could've been better at OL and QB, but getting out-coached on a weekly basis with little to no improvement... I can't deal with. New coach or not, you gotta show improvement and the ability to adapt.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

From an outside perspective 2 years does seen quick to turn to a different coach.  Problem is this coach and his team are regressing due to poor choices and mismanagement. I think the chances of Rhule staying another year are higher than him getting fired but he has a very short runway and there are still 4more Sundays of chaos ahead. 

• Pie 1

His character and this team was put to the test against Washington, coming off a win, at Home, and failed to ever take control of the game longer than a drive then it was tested again, coming off a blowout loss, at home to Atlanta and the same result, losing to talent deficient teams without ever having control of the game. What does this team do with another year? The sAme poo. The same poo this year and last year, dumb poo.

Edited by thunderraiden
  • Pie 3

It's all about trajectory.  Maybe you can't make a complete cultural and functional turnaround in two years.  But by the end of year two you should see a very clear upward trajectory.  That is clearly NOT what we are seeing here.  I look on the field and year over year, game over game, I don't see us making progress.

Quite the opposite.  We now have coaches calling out individual players in very questionable ways - publicly.  We see players deflecting blame - publicly.  Our results on the field are going backwards.

I'd rather not ride the train all the way to the scene of the accident at the end of 2022.  Let's hop off on a side track NOW and start working toward an actual solution.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaLivin said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/why-moving-on-from-matt-rhule-now-would-make-zero-sense

I keep seeing articles of how Rhule and Panthers can fix this, what we can do next, etc.

Articles like above stating it wouldn't make since to fire him so soon and blah blah blah, read if you'd like to see their argument.

Question(s):

Are there people out there (in the fanbase) that want one more year? Just to at least see?

I would like to see Rhule fired myself, but am I and those wanting Rhule fired overreacting? 

I think one more for sure.   That's not nesscesarily because I believe in Rhule.  I have no idea.   It is a completely different roster than when he got here 2 years ago.  There is hardly any experience on the roster and no experience in the coaching staff.  It takes time to completely turn around a team from scratch.

No one outside of the fanbase watches our games week after week. Hell, it's hard enough for the fanbase to keep watching week after week.

How are the national sports writers supposed to have any real picture of what is happening here. We could have suited up a Sasquatch, two little green men and the Loch Ness Monster and no one would have noticed. 

We've just got to keep making the noise locally and hope the ownership is listening and not just reading Sports Illustrated and the Forbes lists.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

This hasn’t been about culture and all that.

This has been about Rhule and his staff’s inability to adjust and game plan for other teams. It’s about their inability to teach the nfl game to their players. They don’t have the experience to put guys in the right position to win. 

Rhule could turn into a great coach — in 10 years. Do we want to wait that long?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

6 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

No one outside of the fanbase watches our games week after week. Hell, it's hard enough for the fanbase to keep watching week after week.

How are the national sports writers supposed to have any real picture of what is happening here. We could have suited up a Sasquatch, two little green men and the Loch Ness Monster and no one would have noticed. 

We've just got to keep making the noise locally and hope the ownership is listening and not just reading Sports Illustrated and the Forbes lists.

I agree. From an outsider’s perspective we would look like the Browns if we fired Rhule after 2 years, but we have all seen this train wreck up close. I would be all for keeping him one more year if we didn’t have a total lack of accountability outside of Cam. The whole locker room seems a mess. That starts at he top

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

To be clear, what you're seeing in this article doesn't likely reflect anyone's opinion but Callihan's.

He's arguing for Rhule to get at least one more year based on the "his college teams turned it around in year three" argument. Others have used that as well, but the problem is it's a false equivalent.

This isn't college, and what works in college all too frequently doesn't work in the pros. For evidence of that, just take a look at the effectiveness of Matt Rhule's game plans.

All indications are that the vast majority of fans all over (not just in this forum) are pretty well ready to move on from Rhule. As far as the people in whose power it is to actually make that determination, we have no idea what their feelings are right now or what they will be.

All we can do is let them loudly and clearly know ours.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 5