• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Currently sitting at #8 in draft order...who should we pick?

PanthersGOATFan336

For the trade back brigade, you have to be careful. Your one chance at drafting a franchise LT will be at our current pick, unless you're talking a trade back of like 2 or 3 spots. A top LT doesn't drop past 12 or so. And every year, there tends to be a clear cream of the crop of maybe 10-15 players. So do you give up what's likely to be a 90% probability perennial solid starter with all pro potential, for 2 players with maybe a 30-50% chance to say the same? Another way to think about it, would you have gone back and traded Horn (or Slater or whoever was in the mix) for Marshall, Christenson and Tremble?

Personally I would only consider 1 of 2 trade backs:

A) 2022 1st + 1-2 future 1sts, like the Giants did with Chicago for Fields or Miami's trade with San Francisco for Lance. This is ideal if we decide on a full rebuild where we stock up on extra picks in future years that could help us land our franchise qb, or surround him with protection if we opt to pick one in 2022. You're already seeing how valuable that could be with the Giants getting an extra top 10 (possibly top 5) pick from the Bears this year. Pittsburgh trading up to take the local Pickett to become the new face of the franchise after Big Ben retires makes way too much sense and would be great for both teams. And if Pickett struggles like most rookies do, that future 1st could easily land in the top 10.

B) Drop back 3-5 picks and get an extra 2nd or 2 3rds. This is only an option if our top prospect is gone by our pick (e.g. top LT). If they're there, you don't take that chance and grab them at our original spot. 

What I don't want is something like trading back with the Chiefs for their late 1st and 2nd, or even the Jets for their two 2nds including the one we gave them. Too much of a chance that those 2 picks are no more than backups/below average starters for their careers when we could've had a franchise LT.

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

Fine with me so long as the rookie can sit behind Darnold. 

Tank, have all picks, go oline 2023 and rest of 2022, preserve cap and start new QB 2023 with a new coach.

Or go all oline, lame duck Rhule/Sam season, draft QB 2023.

With a little sacrifice it will work out. Keep trying to find short cuts and cheat codes trading away the future, and we stay put.

Darnold is gone also. The rookie QB is gonna get thrown to the fire.

• Poo 1

5 hours ago, onmyown said:

Fine with me so long as the rookie can sit behind Darnold. 

Tank, have all picks, go oline 2023 and rest of 2022, preserve cap and start new QB 2023 with a new coach.

Or go all oline, lame duck Rhule/Sam season, draft QB 2023.

With a little sacrifice it will work out. Keep trying to find short cuts and cheat codes trading away the future, and we stay put.

You really expect season ticket holders to go for this?

It’s really hard to evaluate this roster because of Rhule’s stupidity. BC and Brown should be playing instead of these shitty vets Rhule is determined to play. The one time BC played all game at LT, he looked solid but it was against a backup in the WFT game. We 100% need a QB, but I don’t think if there is one at 8 that’s worth it. My dream is trading down, getting a QB like Howell/Strong/Corral later in the first and recouping a 2nd for an OL. Roll with BC, Brown, FA, Moton, and 2nd rounder while letting them stay at one position and develop. 

For as much as I like Fitts, I would lean into him trading back a bit too much last year hurt us as much as it helped us.

If Neal/Icky/Lindebaum is there when we're up, one of those three should be the selection. 

We already gambled away and lost on the two trades we made that put us in this situation. Don't pass on a franchise OT/IOL to make up for it. Basic kindergarten "two wrongs don't make a right" life lessons.