• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drury Reassigned to Chicago

Anybodyhome

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-reassign-drury-to-chicago/c-329156660

RALEIGH, NC - Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has reassigned forward Jack Drury to the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Drury, 21, has recorded 16 points (7g, 9a) in 23 AHL games with Chicago this season and ranks tied for fourth on the team in goals and fifth in points. The 5'11", 174-pound forward has scored two goals in two NHL games in 2021-22, becoming the fifth player in franchise history and the third player since relocation to score in each of his first two career NHL contests. Drury tallied 30 points (10g, 20a) in 41 games with Vaxjo Lakers of the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) during his first professional season in 2020-21, earning selection as a finalist for the league's Rookie of the Year and helping Vaxjo capture the Le Mat Trophy as SHL champions. Prior to turning professional, Drury played two seasons of college hockey at Harvard from 2018-20, posting 63 points (29g, 34a) in 60 games. He also earned 77 points (28g, 49a) in 100 USHL games with Waterloo from 2016-18, serving as captain in his second season with the Black Hawks. The New York, N.Y., native has represented the United States at numerous international tournaments, winning a silver medal at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship and a bronze medal at the 2021 IIHF World Championship. Drury was selected by Carolina in the second round, 42nd overall, of the 2018 NHL Draft.

---------------------------------------------

This was a move to protect him.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 2

15 minutes ago, Wes Mantooth said:

What's the likelihood of us seeing him called up after the break if Necas is out for a couple of weeks?

Doubtful. We don’t want him hitting waivers. Only way he’d come up is if people are out for months. 

Martinook will probably replace Necas, if his injury was any more severe than what we guess he would have been put on LTIR. So I think Marty is on track for a early January return. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Wes Mantooth said:

Would he hit waivers should we call him up and send him back down a 2nd time? Not sure how they work tbh.

Would the same rule apply for a potential call up during the playoffs?

10 games played before he hits waivers being sent back down to the AHL I believe. So we can only keep him up for 8 more games before he becomes waiver active and we may need him later in the season. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

Just found this write up about the waiver exemptions rules. Pay special attention to the last paragraph given Drury's age (21) and having played professional in Sweden last year.

Waiver Exemption

"The most difficult part of the waiver system is that of exemption. As a general rule, developing players are exempt from the waiver requirement: teams are free to assign them to the minor leagues and to recall them. Specifically, exemption is determined by a combination of the number of years under contract and games played. Once a player hits a threshold number of games played based on the player's age and the number of years since he signed his first NHL contract, he loses the exemption and must pass through waivers. The number of years and games is set down in a table in paragraph 13.4 of the CBA:

Goalies Skaters
signing-NHL
NHL Games
Played
Years from
signing-NHL
NHL Games
Played
18 6 80 5 160
19 5 80 4 160
20 4 80 3 160
21 4 60 3 80
22 4 60 3 70
23 3 60 3 60
24 2 60 2 60
25+ 1   1  

For waiver purposes, NHL regular season games and playoff games count the same. Immediately after a player plays the number of games indicated, he loses the waiver exemption. If he doesn't reach the number of games, he nevertheless loses his waiver exemption on reaching the number of seasons under an NHL contract.

This is relatively straightforward. However, there are a number of additional rules that make it more complicated. First, the number of years is reduced by two for eighteen year old or nineteen year old players playing more than eleven NHL games. So, any goalie playing more than eleven NHL games by age nineteen will lose waiver exemption after four seasons and any skater doing the same will lose waiver exemption after three.

Additionally, for players twenty or older, all professional games count, not just NHL games. This includes all minor league games and European league games while the player is on loan and signed to an NHL team. For waiver purposes, age eighteen means the player reaches that age between January 1 and September 15 of the draft year. Ages from nineteen to twenty-one mean that the player reaches that age during the year of the draft."

I'm not the most intelligent guy out there, but that last paragraph would seem to indicate that Drury would be eligible for waivers by the end of next month regardless of if he's playing in Carolina or Chicago. He's played 66 pro games between Carolina, Chicago, and Vaxjo.

However, what I'm not sure of if that 80 game rule is retroactive, or goes into effect after signing the NHL entry level contract. Drury didn't sign his deal until after the season he played with Vaxjo, where he logged 41 pro games. 

Long story short, from my understanding it seems he wouldn't be eligible for waiver for another 14 AHL/NHL games at the very minimum. 

Please feel free to poke holes in this theory as it's something I've only put together while avoiding work for the past 15 or so minutes!

• Pie 2

If the NHL is going to continue to schedule games for teams that are short-handed, they need to make some concessions with regard to minor league call-ups, like not counting their games against the exemption rule, for example.

Or, they need to allow teams to call up enough players to fill out a game-day roster without any salary cap or minor league reassignment ramifications.

The league did really well last season with COVID, but they're falling on their faces this year.

All that said, the next time Drury is called up will be his last call up- he'll be here for good. The Canes will have to find a way to fit him in without losing key pieces to the roster.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 3

15 minutes ago, Wes Mantooth said:

I'm not the most intelligent guy out there, but that last paragraph would seem to indicate that Drury would be eligible for waivers by the end of next month regardless of if he's playing in Carolina or Chicago. He's played 66 pro games between Carolina, Chicago, and Vaxjo.

However, what I'm not sure of if that 80 game rule is retroactive, or goes into effect after signing the NHL entry level contract. Drury didn't sign his deal until after the season he played with Vaxjo, where he logged 41 pro games. 

Long story short, from my understanding it seems he wouldn't be eligible for waiver for another 14 AHL/NHL games at the very minimum. 

Please feel free to poke holes in this theory as it's something I've only put together while avoiding work for the past 15 or so minutes!

His entry level contract was signed on July 7, 2021. So, yeah, there's a huge consideration depending on whether the games he played prior to his entry level contract was signed, just as you mentioned. 

And, if the World Cup games are included, he's played 75 games if you count Vaxjo, WC, Chicago and Carolina.

• Pie 2

G

10 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

His entry level contract was signed on July 7, 2021. So, yeah, there's a huge consideration depending on whether the games he played prior to his entry level contract was signed, just as you mentioned. 

And, if the World Cup games are included, he's played 75 games if you count Vaxjo, WC, Chicago and Carolina.

Great point, wasn't sure whether World Cup games were considered professional or not so I excluded them. All these niche rules have my head spinning, but if there's anything I've learned is that our team is DEEP in minor league talent and this is a great problem to have.

Glad it's Waddell and not me figuring out how to navigate these waters.

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Let's be real, long term.

Stepan and Fast or Drury and Poturalski.

That's the choice we're looking at for the future

I don’t see Stepan being around that long. Fast Drury and Poturalski if the league can get the salary cap moving up should be no issue at all. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I don’t see Stepan being around that long. Fast Drury and Poturalski if the league can get the salary cap moving up should be no issue at all. 

Here's my thought process.

6 players are FAs after this season.

Kotkaniemi (21)

Nino (29)

Trochek (28)

Stepan (31)

Necas (22)

Lorentz (25)

Then we have Fast (30) and Jordan (33) due up the following.

Necas, Lorentz, and Kotkaniemi are all RFA.

We have a lot of young talent, but we also have a well oiled machine of a team. Jordan is replaceable and we all know that. Stepan is a solid have, but not somebody we can't replace the production of. If we're looking long term, Fast being moved sooner rather than later gives us the biggest possibility of a return. He's a veteran guy who could help a lot of teams and he's not a necessary, gotta have piece here.

It's a good problem to have and we kinda hold the keys. I think we for sure keep Kotkaniemi because he's really standing out to me. Nino and Tro I'm really on the fence with, especially Nino because he's been so good for us for several seasons.

• Pie 2

46 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Here's my thought process.

6 players are FAs after this season.

Kotkaniemi (21)

Nino (29)

Trochek (28)

Stepan (31)

Necas (22)

Lorentz (25)

Then we have Fast (30) and Jordan (33) due up the following.

Necas, Lorentz, and Kotkaniemi are all RFA.

We have a lot of young talent, but we also have a well oiled machine of a team. Jordan is replaceable and we all know that. Stepan is a solid have, but not somebody we can't replace the production of. If we're looking long term, Fast being moved sooner rather than later gives us the biggest possibility of a return. He's a veteran guy who could help a lot of teams and he's not a necessary, gotta have piece here.

It's a good problem to have and we kinda hold the keys. I think we for sure keep Kotkaniemi because he's really standing out to me. Nino and Tro I'm really on the fence with, especially Nino because he's been so good for us for several seasons.

And I'll have to disagree with you regarding a couple of scenarios.

Fast is playing the best hockey of his career at 30 years old and he's only getting $2M a year. A bargain for what he brings to the ice every night.

Stepan is a one-year rental. Everyone knows he was brought here as a veteran presence alongside Staal to be the leadership and example for the young guys. So he'll be gone, but only represents $1.35M.

Nino is going to get paid and whether or not the Canes are the ones paying him will be his choice. My guess is should he want anything north of $6.25M, he'll be gone.

Trocheck is in the same position. I believe he'll get an offer from Carolina, but it might not be enough for him to stay. KK will get Vinny's line when Vincent leaves.

Stepan and Trocheck will/can be replaced with Drury, Jarvis and KK.

RFAs who will get offers: all of them. TDA, Bear, KK, Lorentz and Necas. I don't know how you say, "No" to any of them.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 2