• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Competition Next Year

KillaCamNewton

Am I the only one that doesnt think its the worst idea to let Cam and Darnold compete for the job next year, assuming we can shape up the OLine and actually get a competent coaching staff? We already have to pay Darnold next year and both QBs have not been the most durable anyways so likely whoever doesnt win the starting job will probably still have to start some games anyway

coaching, scheme, supporting talent, and OLine matters. Cam has never had all those things at once, and Darnold has really never had any of them. 

the last 2 years have shown me anybody behind this OLine with these coaches will struggle, why reach on a QB this year and get the same results instead of possibly getting a couple lineman that can be here for 10 years? We also arent getting rid of CMC’s contract so might as well run it back with him too. I dont buy that hes all of a sudden injury prone, anyone is spraining their ankle when a 300lb lineman falls on it

• Pie 2
  • Poo 2

Problem is Cam is likely going to want money and 2+ years. I see no reason to do that when sam is already paid, because neither is good enough to matter. Resources should be saved at this point, they’ve been given away too freely for the past two years - this will just dig the hole deeper, for nothing.

It’s painfully obvious the qb of the future needs to be drafted so at some point they’ll start anyways.

If Cam goes for it, a cheap one year deal is feasible.

• Pie 2

I don't think either are the answer so I say let Cam walk and bring in a QB1 and let Darnold be a back up until we can shed his pay without a huge  hit to the cap.  Not sure if Russel Wilson is still wanting to move or others that have voiced wanting a change, but if Fitterer is worth his pay he should be able to figure out something.  I also agree we need a coaching change as well.  

The problem is Sam's salary next year.  Because it's guaranteed, we know he will be here.  This plus other needs basically means we are not in the running for a high end QB.  Our potential includes such luminaries as Dalton, Foles, Brissett and Mariota.  And of course Cam Newton.

The question you have to ask yourself is which of those guys do you like better than Cam Newton as a starting QB?  I dunno.  I don't love any of them.  Unfortunately, that's the cap we have unless we want to go through another season bitching about our OLine being historically awful.

Cam will not get an offer anywhere else so he will either take a friendly deal or go back to the couch . Darnold is here because of his contract .  A new coach will cut Walker .  If we can do a good trade down in the first to around number 15 and get a 2nd or 3rd round pick we could get a QB and an O-line player . We then go O-line again in the 4th .  Hopefully we get a good comp pick also .

59 minutes ago, Barney said:

I don't think either are the answer so I say let Cam walk and bring in a QB1 and let Darnold be a back up until we can shed his pay without a huge  hit to the cap.  Not sure if Russel Wilson is still wanting to move or others that have voiced wanting a change, but if Fitterer is worth his pay he should be able to figure out something.  I also agree we need a coaching change as well.  

I would say let Darnold play, draft someone and let him hold a clipboard for a year, ala Mahomes.  Or cut Darnold, sign Cam, and let him play while we draft someone and let him hold a clipboard for a year, just as Mahomes did.  

Remember when Teddy was a lock to be here this year due to his salary? Yeah me too. Sam has no future here anymore. 

If Rhule is here it doesn't matter, anyone to play QB for him will do poorly. If it's another HC, they will only keep Sam if they are going for the #1 pick in 2023. Nobody without brain damage or looking towards the 2023 draft would want Sam at QB. 

I still think we dump him and blame the waste on Rhule after he is dumped. We end up with Cam or any of the other guys we should have signed instead of that awful trade for Sam. At this point, I don't see this team surviving a lame duck year from Rhule, his damage has been to great this year. 

Edited by Waldo