• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hockey knowledge/history

lightsout

So, since we have a few days off, let's discuss something. What's everybody's hockey knowledge depth here? Do we have beer leaguers or do we have casual fans that learned over time or do we have guys who literally know the bare bones?

I became a fan about 4 months before the Stanley Cup win. I was in high school and my football coach told me I should check out some "redneck hockey". I did and fell in love...but I didn't totally understand the game.

Fast forward a few years, I'm in college and have been watching regularly for about a season and a half. I've learned the game due to a college roommate from Charlotte who LOVES hockey. He walked me through basics of zones, offsides, icing, cross checking, high sticking (I knew the terms but not the nuances). A year later, and im figuring out exactly how and why positions function.

A few years after that, I'm playing pickup with my buddy who played in leagues as a kid and I'm clueless. I can kinda skate but im a baby deer with pads and a stick. He teaches me enough and pickup guys are kind to newbies.

Nearly 6 years later, still have my stick and gear, haven't played any pickup (Indian Trail for those curious where) in a few years due to marriage and kids. But I had gotten competent. I feel I understand hockey at nearly the level of football at this point.

• Pie 4

No hockey experience whatsoever but really got into the game during the 2002 run to the Cup (fugging Detroit).

I went to HS with one of our well-known former players’ daughter and son (who had a short stint with the Canes organization) and became very good friends with them. From then on I started to learn more about the game and after going to my first game in the early 2000’s I found that I really enjoyed the sport and I’ve followed ever since.

• Pie 5

I started watching hockey in the late 70s - early 80s in San Diego when the Gulls were part of the WHL (Western Hockey League). Back then there were a couple players who had grandfathered the helmet rule and didn't wear one. I enjoyed the pace of the game, relatively few rules and penalties and stoppages.

When I moved to Greensboro in 1992, I began following the Monarchs, which were disbanded when the Whalers moved to Greensboro in 95 or 96. Monarch tickets I could afford at the time. When the NHL came to town, it was a little more money than I could pay at the time.

Fast forward to 1998-2000 when we were living in Asheville and the UHL had the Asheville Smoke. Although they were only around for 4 seasons, they posted a winning record in 3 of the 4 years. From 1998-2000 the head coach was Keith Gretzky and Brent Gretzky was a center on that team. I had season tickets for the 2 seasons I lived there- they were $110 for the entire season (28 home games).

I was a Blackhawk fan until about 2014 after we relocated from Virginia to eastern NC. From then on I've been a Canes guy, although I still have a soft spot for Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I want the Canes to trounce them, but I wish them well.

During the 2018-2019 playoffs, I was honored by the organization for my military service during Game 4 of the New York Islanders series, which the Canes won, sweeping the series.  

• Pie 6

• 3 weeks later...

Grew up along the PA/NY border (born in '66) and started playing youth hockey at age 5. Played one year of college hockey before accepting the fact that I wasn't talented enough to go beyond that level or do well in college and play hockey. Grew up a Rangers fan (Rod Gilbert and Eddie Giocomin) as that was all my old man and I could get on TV (3 channels, hell yeah), transitioning later to the Canadiens and Patrick Roy. I've been an Avs fan for 20+ years now, with the Caps and 'Canes as my favorites in the East. I'd love to see an Avs/'Canes Cup series, and this may just be the year that happens. 

Edited by OriginalPD
  • Pie 4

I've been watching hockey since the 1900's..1988 to be exact.  I was a North Stars fan because, well, a kid living in NC really didn't have much business liking hockey and we had no team.  The North Stars were never really great, but they did have one good run in the early nineties if I recall.

Of course the North Stars were relocated to Dallas and Carolina ended up getting a team that relocated from Hartford and the rest is history!

• Pie 3