• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Icege's Mock Drafts

Icege

tyler-linderbaum-iowa.thumb.jpg.a6b72fda4405ec73118ebb84c43a9ef6.jpg
1. Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
It's that time of year again where fans divide themselves into two camps: LT or QB? I'd like to propose a 3rd camp: Center. LT is commonly screamed for as the 2nd most important position on a team due to protecting the QB's blindside, but the league's best pass rushers aren't coming from just the blindside. They're coming from all angles! I recall reading an article years and years ago that did a deep dive into which position was statistically the most devastating to a team and QB was shockingly #2. Losing a center was the biggest impact to a team's playoff chances, according to the data. Am I proposing that the center is the most important position on the field? Absolutely not. Am I proposing that drafting the best offensive lineman is more beneficial to the Panthers than drafting the 2nd best tackle after the Jets inevitably scoop Evan Neal to replace Morgan Moses after his 1-yr deal expires? Yes, I most certainly am. Tyler Linderbaum is THE #1 OL prospect this year, and he's got the type of background you want in an interior lineman: a former heavyweight wrestler (so he's great with hand fighting and leverage), former defensive lineman (so he's got that built in nastiness), Academic All-Big Ten (so he's a hard study), and more. He's also a leader, being one of seven sophomores named to the 2020 Iowa Leadership Group and also majoring in enterprise leadership. This dude is a beast, and having him and Chrisensen on rookie deals together will help with offsetting Taylor Moton's escalating cost.

61182661d4195.image.thumb.jpg.768f64fa6e875aa99b99bd651efff84e.jpg
4. Chad Muma, LB, Wyoming
I'm just going to let the good folks that handler Wyoming's website do the talking for me on this one regarding his 2020 season that followed up his break out 2019 year: "Chad Muma ranked No. 2 in the Mountain West and No. 6 in the nation in tackles averaging 11.8 tackles per game.  Muma also ranked No. 8 in the MW and No. 41 in the nation in tackles for loss, averaging 1.3 TFLs per game, with 8.0 total tackles for loss on the season.  He also averaged 5.5 solo tackles per game to rank No. 4 in the Mountain West and No. 20 in the country.  The junior led Wyoming in tackles (72), tackles for loss (8.0), sacks (3.0) and solo tackles (39). Other statistical categories he ranked among Mountain West leaders this season are: No. 8 in fumbles recovered (1) and No. 14 in sacks (0.50 per game / 3.0 total sacks). Muma recorded five double-figure tackles games in the six games he played during the season, including: a career best 17 at Colorado State, 14 at Nevada, 13 vs. Boise State, 10 at UNLV and 10 at New Mexico.  At Nevada, Muma had 14 tackles, including 10 solo tackles, 1.0 TFL and 1 forced fumble.  Versus Hawai'i, he was credited with 7 tackles, 1 fumble recovery and 1 pass breakup.  At Colorado State, he recorded a career high 17 tackles, including 1.5 TFLs.  At UNLV, Muma had career highs of 3.5 TFLs for 26 yards and 3.0 sacks for 25 yards to go with 10 total tackles.  Against New Mexico, the junior made 10 tackles, including 2.0 TFLs, and he concluded the season with 13 tackles vs. Boise State."

Obinna-Eze-Tigers-Courtesy-MAJORBUSQUET-Twitter.thumb.png.7415bf63a58d55f7bac9d6503c90ff8b.png
5. Obinna Eze, OT, TCU
An absolute mammoth of a human being, Obinna Eze stands in at 6'8" while weighing in at 315 lbs. He transferred to TCU to replace the Panthers' own Brady Christensen a LT after being a multi-year starter at Memphis. Eze is a little bit inexperienced with the game of football, having only had two years of HS (1yr of varsity) football due to Tennessee eligibility rules regarding international transfers (his family is from Nigeria). He's got the meme-able measurables that Matt Rhule has barked about, though his height and experience do show with his pad level from time to time. He's physical in the run game and those long arms allow him to reach out and grab rushers before they can get momentum to bull rush him.

download.jpeg.7090ea1a83d7cabe13191f559ae6710f.jpeg
5. Matt Araiza, P, San Diego State
THE PUNT GOD. GO ON TWITTER AND LOOK THIS MAN UP RIGHT NOW.

Chase_Lucas.thumb.jpg.149de0c3978c7cb8cf5c32c1ae09d38a.jpg 
6. Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State
A versatile corner that can play inside or outside that is also an efficient tackler, Lucas would be solid depth for an already talented position group. He was a US Army All-American High School RB before converting to CB in college. Those RB ball skills show up once he secures the ball and he becomes a threat to score, so there might be some potential as a returner as well. He's got great instincts and also shows good route recognition, so he'll be able to contribute early on in zone coverage. I expected him to take a bigger step forward as a player this season since he was returning as a graduate student, but there wasn't much of a difference production wise.

1270838775.thumb.jpg.872c38667b680f00d8c21ef5ea68fecd.jpg       
7. Reed Blankenship, S, Middle Tennessee
Reed Blankenship is an incredible athlete. He runs the 40 in the 4.50s, posted a 38" vertical, and a 10' broad jump. When he was in high school, he showed incredible versatility by rushing for over 3k yds, passing for over 1k yds, and receiving for over 1k yds. There was significant time missed in 2019 due to a broken leg, but he showed no signs of slowing down following the recovery. He's shown the ability to cover over the top as well as line up at the nickel to cover or blitz. The kid is also a two year captain and is a core special teamer for MTSU. He could realistically compete for a roster or practice squad spot, work his way on to special teams, and potentially even be able to rotate in on the defense as early as his second year.

Going to probably pushing out a bunch of different mocks until the draft, so I'll just update this thread as I finalize them. :3

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, PappyMay said:

Would love this draft, only thing that would make me happier is we drafted him because we traded down 2-4 picks to get a 2nd or 3rd back.

Currently, I have Carson Strong mocked to us in the second if we can trade down and still nab Linderbaum :3

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Nice work.

Personally I never use picks on ST *rare exceptions*. Plus no CB is needed unless he is rounds above the others in value. Need a minimum of 3 OLmen and at least one true LB(you have this).  If the whole draft was OL was tiny bit of DL, no problem with that. The one spot the panthers are deep with young talent is DB. TE is worth a late round pick too, in history those have given great results for draft spot. DL is not getting talked about, but I feel its a big need. QB is other option as well, some late rounder will get over-looked and be a 10 year NFLer. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

Nice work.

Personally I never use picks on ST *rare exceptions*. Plus no CB is needed unless he is rounds above the others in value. Need a minimum of 3 OLmen and at least one true LB(you have this).  If the whole draft was OL was tiny bit of DL, no problem with that. The one spot the panthers are deep with young talent is DB. TE is worth a late round pick too, in history those have given great results for draft spot. DL is not getting talked about, but I feel its a big need. QB is other option as well, some late rounder will get over-looked and be a 10 year NFLer. 

100% agree on TE2 being a need, but I'm admittedly not up to speed on this current class.

There is a definite need for pass rusher depth as well. Reddick and Haynes are both gone, and Fox can clear up $4M in cap space if somebody trades for him. There are some REALLY good pass rushers in this draft too.

OL being as strong as it is this coming draft means we need to at least get a starter + depth that develop into a starter. A 3rd would be great to pick up if Fitterer goes bat poo with day 3 selections again.

Love Lindenbaum and Araiza. That'd be an ideal draft for me, though I do want to look more into Charles Cross. 

This is a deep dive and might be a bit homer because Army is my secondary college team, but if we intend on using a fullback or just want a short yardage guy then I wouldn't mind if we looked at Army FB Jakobi Buchanan if he enters this year pending service stuff as a UDFA or super late round throwaway pick. He is is 260 pounds of meat and has the signature Mike Tolbert build. Every time I watch an Army game, they feed him in short yardage situations and it's a guaranteed first and handful of yards. He runs with violence and while his YPC might not wow you it's a very stable YPC and he virtually never loses yards. The guy has went 246 carries without losing a yard in fact. So again, yeah it's against lesser compeition but if we're rostering guys like Ricci and want a short yardage threat  that isn't our QB/ intend on using a full back it could be worth a low risk flyer.

https://www.recordonline.com/story/sports/2021/11/27/army-west-point-ncaa-college-football-jakobi-buchanan-rushing-streak/8738161002/

• Flames 1

13 hours ago, beo said:

Love Lindenbaum and Araiza. That'd be an ideal draft for me, though I do want to look more into Charles Cross. 

This is a deep dive and might be a bit homer because Army is my secondary college team, but if we intend on using a fullback or just want a short yardage guy then I wouldn't mind if we looked at Army FB Jakobi Buchanan if he enters this year pending service stuff as a UDFA or super late round throwaway pick. He is is 260 pounds of meat and has the signature Mike Tolbert build. Every time I watch an Army game, they feed him in short yardage situations and it's a guaranteed first and handful of yards. He runs with violence and while his YPC might not wow you it's a very stable YPC and he virtually never loses yards. The guy has went 246 carries without losing a yard in fact. So again, yeah it's against lesser compeition but if we're rostering guys like Ricci and want a short yardage threat  that isn't our QB/ intend on using a full back it could be worth a low risk flyer.

https://www.recordonline.com/story/sports/2021/11/27/army-west-point-ncaa-college-football-jakobi-buchanan-rushing-streak/8738161002/

That Buchanon run was incredible. Missouri kicker probably feeling dumb af for the salute now lmao

The more I see Charles Cross, the more excited that I am that between him, Linderbaum, and Ekwonu that the team is bound to get an effective starter on the OL if they go that route in the first.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1

22 hours ago, mickeye76 said:

Nice draft.   I too am on the Muma hype train.  We need a legit MLB.   I've resigned myself to him getting scooped up late round three though.  Around pick 80 something.  Jets could have they eye on Linderbaum.  If we trade down we are likely to miss on him or Cross.  

Yea, I think Muma goes in the late 3rd but if he slips to the 4th omg pls run that selection up.

• 2 weeks later...