• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Matt Rhule: I didn’t ask if my job is safe, but Panthers owner David Tepper has shown confidence

WarPanthers89

• Tepper gave Rhule a long-term contract because he wants to see the rebuild done right.  After 2 seasons, a firing seems impatient, from that perspective.  He knows we need OL and a QB.
  • Tepper was part of the Steeler ownership, and they change coaches once every 20 years, it seems.  If he shares that mentality, we could be in for more Rhule.

Premier League Sport GIF by Liverpool FC

Edited by MHS831

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:
  • Tepper gave Rhule a long-term contract because he wants to see the rebuild done right.  After 2 seasons, a firing seems impatient, from that perspective.  He knows we need OL and a QB.
  • Tepper was part of the Steeler ownership, and they change coaches once every 20 years, it seems.  If he shares that mentality, we could be in for more Rhule.

Premier League Sport GIF by Liverpool FC

Successful rebuilds typically make overall progress, even if slow. That is simply not the case with Rhule.

With respect to Pitt at no point in 30 years have the Steelers needed to 'rebuild'; they haven't been below .500 since 2003 (even then were only 6-10) and have only been below .500 3 times in 30 years. That 'rebuild' in 2004 started with getting Ben, a task that Rhule and staff have now severely screwed up on twice in 2 years. Pitt's been riding decades of competent management coupled with obtaining a true franchise QB in 2004, and while that type of continuity does have to start somewhere what in the world has Rhule shown that makes one think he is that catalyst?

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

The only thing I can possibly think of for this to make sense, and that's pushing it, is that Tepper wants to establish the organization as place where a coach gets a real chance at establishing their program without having to worry about being fired in 2 years.  It certainly isn't for producing any positive results. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

I just hope that Tepper is holding off bc he doesn't have an adequate interim since everyone on the staff aside from Sean Ryan and Chase Blackburn is a Rhule follower. At the very least, Tepper needs to take away some of Rhule's power, power he shouldn't have had in the first place, and make him fire some of these poo, college level assistants for guys with long-time NFL experience.

If Tepper does nothing, and Rhule stands pat with Jeff Nixon as OC (like we all know he'll do if it is his choice), remember this. When we get to training camp, and we inevitably start seeing the training camp fluff pieces about Jeff Nixon blooming into his role as OC and how Darnold is finally turning the corner as a leader, don't believe it.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Growl said:

Tepper is the worst thing to ever happen to this organization 

Yep. I felt that way from the announcement that he was the new owner. In 1994/1995 I stopped pulling for the Skins because Snyder was the new owner and as each season Tepper is owner of this franchise I seem to care a little less.