• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WFNZ interview with Ellis Williams from Observer

raleigh-panther

I've yet to hear anyone make a convincing case to keep Rhule. Listening to that interview is depressing in terms of everything that needs to be done to make this roster into something that looks like a competitive group in the NFL. Rhule has done so much damage. Its unreal. And Tepper is an idiot for not firing him this morning so he can start interviewing real coaches tomorrow.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

46 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

I've yet to hear anyone make a convincing case to keep Rhule. Listening to that interview is depressing in terms of everything that needs to be done to make this roster into something that looks like a competitive group in the NFL. Rhule has done so much damage. Its unreal. And Tepper is an idiot for not firing him this morning so he can start interviewing real coaches tomorrow.

You think it's bad now. Wait till next year. When Tepper realizes he's fuged up we are going to be Lion's bad. 

• Flames 2

The issue I would have with just stripping him(Yung Rhule) of FO power is that it also doesn't fix his problem with having a staff stocked full of his college buddies who aren't suited to coaching at the NFL level.

Furthermore, the guy that probably wasn't completely his choice(Brady) got summarily jettisoned when the offense wasn't working. 

I just don't see a path to fixing all the Rhule issues. This isn't a Pete Carroll or Bill Belichick story of a team quitting too quickly. This is a Greg Schiano/Bobby Petrino story of a college coach being completely out of his element and not understanding what it takes to be successful at the NFL level.

• Pie 9

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The issue I would have with just stripping him(Yung Rhule) of FO power is that it also doesn't fix his problem with having a staff stocked full of his college buddies who aren't suited to coaching at the NFL level.

Furthermore, the guy that probably wasn't completely his choice(Brady) got summarily jettisoned when the offense wasn't working. 

I just don't see a path to fixing all the Rhule issues. This isn't a Pete Carroll or Bill Belichick story of a team quitting too quickly. This is a Greg Schiano/Bobby Petrino story of a college coach being completely out of his element and not understanding what it takes to be successful at the NFL level.

Ditto to pretty much all of that...

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ditto to pretty much all of that...

I get the thought process of not wanting to go through all this again but just imagine the level of change in Rhule himself and then turnover in his staff that is probably necessary to alleviate most of the obvious flaws. 

I don't see how anyone can look at this from the outside and see a path forward. 

Perhaps that is the biggest issue with Tepper. He is an active and hands on owner who is too close to the situation to see the obvious. Not trying to make excuses for him but I can see how you can believe in someone so much that you become blind to their problems. Just human nature.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I get the thought process of not wanting to go through all this again but just imagine the level of change in Rhule himself and then turnover in his staff that is probably necessary to alleviate most of the obvious flaws. 

I don't see how anyone can look at this from the outside and see a path forward. 

Perhaps that is the biggest issue with Tepper. He is an active and hands on owner who is too close to the situation to see the obvious. Not trying to make excuses for him but I can see how you can believe in someone so much that you become blind to their problems. Just human nature.

I see "going through all this again" as being inevitable because the only thing that would prevent it is Rhule turning things around and I just don't see that happening.

The question then becomes "Would you rather get started sooner...or later?"

I vote sooner.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

For those who can't listen:

• Process is only 25% working
  • Defense is regressing
    • must be frustrated with the offensive incompetence
  • Believes Sam Darnold played better than Cam last game
    • Said team has some semblance of passing offense when he's in, but has no trust in the line.
    • Much more skittish than Cam, doesn't know when to eat it and take the L on the play.
    • Both aren't playing quality football but it's better for the team moving forward if Sam actually plays and plays well. 
  • What does Sam have to do in order to be the QB going into next year no questions asked?
    • Can't really evaluate Sam because the line is so horrible.
    • BC played decent but would he have played if Daley or erving were available?
    • OL is a systemic problem that needs to be fixed
    • Sam needs to not turn the ball over, Get a 300 yd passing game
    • Sam will never be a long term solution now
  • How many Lineman do the panthers need to find in order to fix the OL?
    • 3 new starters - LT, C, and one decent guard.
    • Clean slate wouldn't be bad either (minus moton)
    • Good teams with good lines have good line coaches. Need a new one who doesn't suck.
  • Three areas of weakness of D - 3rd down defense, run defense, red zone defense
    • Panthers need to get bigger up front.
    • Aren't built to take on run first teams
    • Need to get more versatile in that regard. 
    • Went the college route of building quicker line instead of more stout line and got bitten by it
  • Would it make sense to move on from Matt Rhule?
    • It would make sense.
    • Rhule teams have no momentum at the end of each first two years.
    • Shows teams aren't getting better throughout the year.
    • Doesn't think he will get fired though.
    • Said if he does stay then his power will be neutered. 
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 2

I just think coaching at the college level and coaching at the NFL level is very different. Kids vs. men. Very limited time with your players vs. pros working long hours and the resulting schematic complexities that comes with that. Massive roster vs. minimal roster. Huge talent variances vs. every team is made up of the best football players in the world. 

Rhule and his staff just don't have the necessary NFL experience. Maybe Rhule could've had a chance if he'd assembled a legit NFL staff and allowed a real NFL GM to handle roster building duties but he was smarter than everyone else. He wanted to do it HIS way. Well, we're witnessing the results.

• Pie 1