• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Capital

MHS831

7 hours ago, MHS831 said:

It seems that the Panthers are likely to be picking at #6, with the slight possibility that there is potential fluctuation that could have them ranging from about 5 to 8--but #6 seems rather probable.  More likely if we lose, very possible if we win.

The draft trade value chart has the #6 pick at 1600 points.  Some say take the BPA, others say trade down and add a second rounder.

For your information, the #13 pick (1150) should also have the #45 pick (450). 

What would you do?

In most recent drafts, nearly all teams have 16-18 first round grades. If thats the deal this year, yes I do that trade. It does heavily depend on the draft board and where the talent gaps are. And what type of talent will be at 13 and 45(like OT? DE? or Safety(eww) etc etc)

Panthers need more than one hero form this draft, just the facts. 4th-7th round heros are very rare...

The other side is if,if,if,if,if,fiififififiiffifii Neal is there at 6.......how can you NOT draft him??? Id need more draft capital than 2nd to pass, but I can be had.....

14 hours ago, Basbear said:

In most recent drafts, nearly all teams have 16-18 first round grades. If thats the deal this year, yes I do that trade. It does heavily depend on the draft board and where the talent gaps are. And what type of talent will be at 13 and 45(like OT? DE? or Safety(eww) etc etc)

Panthers need more than one hero form this draft, just the facts. 4th-7th round heros are very rare...

The other side is if,if,if,if,if,fiififififiiffifii Neal is there at 6.......how can you NOT draft him??? Id need more draft capital than 2nd to pass, but I can be had.....

I think a lot has to do with Christensen's game vs. Tampa Bay. If he has another solid outing, they will probably pencil him in as the 2022 starter.  Elflein will be on year 2 of the 3 year deal (thanks Fitterer) and he has been serviceable as the C and would be better with better guards beside him.  If BC plays well Sunday, we could be in the free agent market for a pair of guards.

If we do not address QB in free agency (and I do not see us doing so based on Bridgewater, Newton, Darnold), you HAVE to take a QB with the sixth overall pick.  Nobody is going to throw 2022 away in order to wait a year to draft a QB.  They will look for answers now.  If Pickett is there, with his experience and success in 2021, they might have to take him.  Yes, you'd prefer Neal, Cross, or Linderbaum, but BC played well enough to cause them to decide QB is the biggest need and try to address it. 

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I think a lot has to do with Christensen's game vs. Tampa Bay. If he has another solid outing, they will probably pencil him in as the 2022 starter.  Elflein will be on year 2 of the 3 year deal (thanks Fitterer) and he has been serviceable as the C and would be better with better guards beside him.  If BC plays well Sunday, we could be in the free agent market for a pair of guards.

If we do not address QB in free agency (and I do not see us doing so based on Bridgewater, Newton, Darnold), you HAVE to take a QB with the sixth overall pick.  Nobody is going to throw 2022 away in order to wait a year to draft a QB.  They will look for answers now.  If Pickett is there, with his experience and success in 2021, they might have to take him.  Yes, you'd prefer Neal, Cross, or Linderbaum, but BC played well enough to cause them to decide QB is the biggest need and try to address it. 

QNelson made me break one of my most firmest rules about using draft capital on OG before round 3. Tyler is no nelson, but if he was ........I mean Id take Nelson 1st overall, hes "that guy". 

Drafting a QB at 6th, unless that guy is that guy, no chance in Rhules make or break season will that save his ass. 

Rhule knows and seemed to love Pickett, but if tepper has any worth......Finesser needs the final say. If Pickett is picked and can not lead the panthers to the playoffs, it becomes A HUGE SHITSHOW. Now new staff has a QB that only one staff wanted at 6th overall. My god he has the smallest hands, no chance he could play in the cold without super-gloves. 

I think they want to trade down, if not a few times and get a few of those 2s and 3s rather than one one. 

• Pie 1

On 1/3/2022 at 5:34 PM, Basbear said:

people fall in love with certain players (neal) and feel like that they are in a league all by themselves and the next guy at the position is nowhere near as safe as a pick so they are afraid to trade back.  

People said the same thing about Sewell and Slater last year.  Last year you probably would have said the same thing picking at 7 with Sewell, but looking at it now would you take Slater and an extra pick?

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How could we have done that?

I wasn't talking about the panthers specifically.

I was referring to this mindset that when people don't want to trade down, they convince themselves that the player available at the spot they are at is exponentially better than the next available pick.

"If Neal is available at 6 i don't want to trade down because he is a 100% chance of being a hall of famer and the next guy only has a 50% of being good"

This mindset happens every year and every year history tells us its not true.

I'm sure fans last year said the same thing about Sewell and Slater.  "If Sewell is available stay put because the drop off is too much to the next guy"  Turns out Slater is looking to be just as good.  The lions could have traded down and got more assets.

15 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I wasn't talking about the panthers specifically.

I was referring to this mindset that when people don't want to trade down, they convince themselves that the player available at the spot they are at is exponentially better than the next available pick.

"If Neal is available at 6 i don't want to trade down because he is a 100% chance of being a hall of famer and the next guy only has a 50% of being good"

This mindset happens every year and every year history tells us its not true.

I'm sure fans last year said the same thing about Sewell and Slater.  "If Sewell is available stay put because the drop off is too much to the next guy"  Turns out Slater is looking to be just as good.  The lions could have traded down and got more assets.

But your scenario is far fetched because it couldnt happen.

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Last year you probably would have said the same thing picking at 7 with Sewell, but looking at it now would you take Slater and an extra pick?

Its a hypothetical irrelevant scenario because we couldnt have traded back and still gotten slater.  You cannot just throw out these random trade scenarios.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its a hypothetical irrelevant scenario because we couldnt have traded back and still gotten slater.  You cannot just throw out these random trade scenarios.

Slater was picked several picks below us. If someone wanted our pick in that range for Fields/Mac then then we have traded down and still had Slater available. That’s all he is saying. 

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Slater was picked several picks below us. If someone wanted our pick in that range for Fields/Mac then then we have traded down and still had Slater available. That’s all he is saying. 

thats my point, nobody wanted our pick except the bears and Fitt didnt like their offer.  Nobody offered to drop back 3-4 spots.

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

thats my point, nobody wanted our pick except the bears and Fitt didnt like their offer.  Nobody offered to drop back 3-4 spots.

No one offered enough that we were know of. That’s really not his point though. He is saying if someone was willing we could have dropped several spots and still got a player similar to Sewell plus a return. It’s all hypothetical because our dumb staff wasn’t interested in Slater and really wanted Horn…

5 hours ago, AU-panther said:

people fall in love with certain players (neal) and feel like that they are in a league all by themselves and the next guy at the position is nowhere near as safe as a pick so they are afraid to trade back.  

People said the same thing about Sewell and Slater last year.  Last year you probably would have said the same thing picking at 7 with Sewell, but looking at it now would you take Slater and an extra pick?

I did want Sewell at 7, bump any draft thread about two weeks until draft day and i said he was the 100% key to the whole draft.

Plus I agree with Rhule and the arm length. Simple fact is- if two guys have equal talent and one is either taller or has longer arms; they are better. Slater had a pro-bowl year and is the infamous out-liner.

I also have a rule about if you can get the job done; all the workouts, length, size, weight doesnt matter. John Randle was a 250 LB DT that tore apart great OL that featured 320 LB OGs&Cs.

Still Slater went 12th?, i think... To answer your statement, i need to know what number is the pick? Sewell i think is younger and a better pure LT. This statement maybe be wrong, but I do think in the near future Slater will kick inside. Hes a high effort worker bee and gym rat, hes just out-working people right now. 

Each year those edges and DE have longer arms(dragging on the floor now), it will become a issue that can not be overcome. Like when the big brother puts his hand on the head of the little brother and the little bro is swinging like crazy but doesnt get close.