• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is a real coach Tepper!

BurnNChinn

5 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

In all fairness that was also the year they should have won the super bowl, and completely melted down the entire season(by Steelers standards). Probably still his most talented team that just wiffed

There are legitimate criticisms to be made of Tomlin. I don't really think anybody should deny that. And the suggestion that he might have somewhat underachieved with the roster talent he's been given is worth discussing.

All that said, if the question is who has the better football mind between he and David Tepper, obviously it's Tomlin.

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There are legitimate criticisms to be made of Tomlin. I don't really think anybody should deny that. And the suggestion that he might have somewhat underachieved with the roster talent he's been given is worth discussing.

All that said, if the question is who has the better football mind between he and David Tepper, obviously it's Tomlin.

Oh no doubt, I mentioned and raised the Tepper v Tomlin issue when the Panthers were in the ownership hunt. My point then was that being too reactionary as a owner is a bad thing and that’s how you end up being the Browns, and we need to be like the Steelers because firing Tomlin was crazy. 

And now everyone is hoping we react and fire Rhule now, little bit of irony there but I do believe Rhule was mistake when we hired him and we need to cut our losses.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m so jealous of Bengal fans right now. Burrow/Chase is the best young combo in the league. Higgins and Mixon are just not fair and they still haven’t fully addressed their OL yet.

Honestly, especially if we keep Rhule next year, I'd be okay with letting DJ Moore go somewhere else for the simple fact our chucklefug FO may take years to find another qb and competent ol play.  I don't want yet another good to great Panther to go without a ring.

Tomlin is an integral part of an organization that hasn't had a misstep when it comes hiring a coach in over 50 years.  He is supported by an experienced staff and management that understand what it takes to win.  Steelers have a history of drafting well and letting veterans go when the cost of keeping them becomes detrimental to fielding a competitive team.  They don't let sentiment cloud their judgement.

Ironically, JR modeled the Panthers after the Steelers in the first few years of the franchise and then lost his way.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Tomlin is "ok".  I see this as more of an organizational accomplishment.  Good drafting and wise spending in free agency has done just as much as coaching to attain this level of consistency.

And let's not forget that they had a franchise QB for his entire tenure.  Yes, Big Ben should have retired a couple seasons ago.  It doesn't change the fact that they just haven't had to look for one in the last 20 years.

1st coach in NFL history to achieve this feat as well as being number 2 in all time wins with same QB and you label him as "Ok". I don't even know if our fans know what a good coach is at this point. Yet you all cried and whined about Rivera cause he didn't have back to back winning seasons! This is literally the picture of consistency and its just "ok". This take is about as goofy as our damn owner. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

Ownership down is where the differences are most important. They have a better run organization led by better and more knowledgeable ownership which has led to better and more knowledgeable key stafff positions. They have a better coach but he still underachieved with those rosters, still a huge improvement from us.

Not at all going to prop up Big Ben Rapistburger, that guy is a terrible human. Fug cheering for a rapist. Just not worth it at all. He made a lot of this possible so big asterisk there. 15 winning rapey years.

8 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

Never understood it and would take him in a heartbeat if available. Too bad Tepper wanted him gone while he was there and now I’m wondering if Tepper even knows what a good coach would be. 

Looking at Matt Rhule it's clear he doesn't. Lots of pain in our future for sure. 

1 hour ago, Doc Holiday said:

Oh no doubt, I mentioned and raised the Tepper v Tomlin issue when the Panthers were in the ownership hunt. My point then was that being too reactionary as a owner is a bad thing and that’s how you end up being the Browns, and we need to be like the Steelers because firing Tomlin was crazy. 

And now everyone is hoping we react and fire Rhule now, little bit of irony there but I do believe Rhule was mistake when we hired him and we need to cut our losses.

Different situation entirely. Rhule has proved nothing and seems set in not even trying to get better while Tomlin was just a winner. The difference in the two is Rhule knows how to sweet talk and Tomlin doesn't. 

1 hour ago, NorthTryon said:

1st coach in NFL history to achieve this feat as well as being number 2 in all time wins with same QB and you label him as "Ok". I don't even know if our fans know what a good coach is at this point. Yet you all cried and whined about Rivera cause he didn't have back to back winning seasons! This is literally the picture of consistency and its just "ok". This take is about as goofy as our damn owner. 

He's a good coach, but his 15 straight non losing seasons is a bit misleading. He's had the luxuary of playing the Browns and Bungals for all those years, while having a franchise QB. Yet despite all that, he only has one SB win, and that was with Cowher players and not his.

• Pie 1

Tomlin is not perfect by far but definitely better than any coach panthers have had. Yes, he doesn't have many superbowls but tell me who else does. New England just seemed to win best coach and qb together tandem. He should have more subs with some of those teams he had, but we say that about others as well. There can only be one sb winner.  He should have let Ben walked a couple years ago. Probably would have had a better chance at the Sb.