• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Have A Top 5 Draft Pick On Line This Week. What Needs To Happen

KatsAzz

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

It is possible but highly unlikely. Those SOS already include the week 18 opponents so it would require at this point a major swing like all NFC South teams winning and all AFC East and NFC East teams losing. Since this week is basically all in division games all the main divisions you played will go 2-2 for all 3 of us and if say the Jets win, their division opponents go 1-2 and ours if we lose go 2-1. So basically, unless the single teams we all played (you play 6 division games, 8 matched division games where every team in your division plays every team in the other division and 3 extra games) go heavy wins or losses there would only be a one game change which I’d be surprised if it closed the gap. Heck, the Jets 3 extra games could all win. Our extra 3 were Houston, Arizona and Minnesota. Jets were Philly, Bengals and Denver. Giants were Rams, Miami and Chicago, even though they are way behind us. Houston isn’t far ahead of us now. They were but are not now and their 3 are Cleveland, Chargers and us.

Out of those, I think ours go 1-2, Jets go 1-2, Giants go 2-1 and Houston’s go 1-2.

I think we all lose but I don’t see enough extra wins for anyone’s SOS to really change enough in the last week especially since everyone plays division foes.

I tried to figure it out, not sure its correct.

bild.png.f3378cfa46238f66263cfe73b385e765.png

bild.png.1e73b17fecd92e3e3f64e673eb750ef2.png

bild.png.0d2defbd109fca76d73f7260372085e1.png

Link to the Excel document; MS Onedrive:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvdIseeQDQCSwx47QD8_S_RXLTDL?e=tqRyJd

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, MHS831 said:

The SOS can fluctuate--I wonder if Ellis factored that into his prognosis?  For example, the Jets SOS is .515 and the Panthers is .507--a difference of .008.  Is it not possible for the Jets' SOS to drop and the Panthers' SOS to increase during week 18?  The Jets could then win and the Panthers then lose and the Jets would not drop below the Panthers. 

I guess I am not sure how much these SOS numbers can fluctuate during the final week of the season.

I tried to figure it out, see above.

Wished I had kids in school age, they know these stuff. Math... 😄

12 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article257028667.html

With one game remaining, the Panthers are locked into a top-6 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. Carolina (5-11) is a 10-point underdog to Tampa Bay in a rematch from two weeks ago, where the Buccaneers won 32-6 at Bank of America Stadium.

The worst the Panthers can select is sixth, which is where they are currently slated. Even if Carolina upsets Tampa Bay and the Seahawks (6-10), Bears (6-10) and Washington (6-10) lose, tying all five teams with six victories and 11 losses, the Panthers’ .507 strength of schedule is the lowest, giving them the five-way tiebreak.

Carolina Panthers Tiebreakers in draft position are determined first by strength of schedule (SOS). The lower the SOS, the higher a team picks if their records are tied. After strength of schedule, tiebreakers are settled by division tiebreakers, conference tiebreakers, interconference tiebreakers and, if necessary, a coin toss.

Carolina cannot select third because the Texans (4-12) have a lower strength of schedule at .498. Detroit (2-13-1) and Jacksonville (2-14) will pick either first or second. Let’s explore the three realistic draft positions the Panthers can earn once Week 18 comes to a close and what needs to happen to cause each.

PANTHERS PICK 4TH IN THE DRAFT IF … This is the lowest the Panthers could pick. It would require a Panthers loss and wins by both the Giants and Jets, tying all three teams with 5-12 records. The Panthers’ .507 SOS is worse than the Giants (.537) and the Jets (.515). The Giants host Washington on Sunday. The Giants have lost five straight games under second-year head coach Joe Judge and lost 30-29 to Washington in Week 2. The Jets are playing at Buffalo in another Week 18 divisional game. The Bills blew out New York in Week 9, winning 45-17. Both the Jets and Giants are underdogs in their respective matchups. Washington is favored by 6.5 points over the Giants while the Jets are 17-point dogs. Find more sports news, plus coverage from Sports Illustrated. READ MORE

PANTHERS PICK 5TH IN THE DRAFT IF … Landing the fifth pick requires the Panthers to lose and just one of the New York teams to upset their Week 18 opponent.

PANTHERS PICK 6TH IN THE DRAFT IF … This is where the Panthers are slated to pick if the NFL season were still 17 weeks long. It’s most likely Carolina will pick sixth considering both the Jets and Giants are large underdogs. One thing Panthers’ fans can look forward to is if Carolina beats Tampa Bay, its draft position will not change. Coach Matt Rhule has a chance to snap the Panthers’ six-game losing streak while not hurting draft position like what happened in Week 16 last year when they beat a playoff-bound Washington team on the road.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article257028667.html#storylink=cpy

image.thumb.png.5ac555e906bf11b1ba5a9a106e9ef944.png

These are the kind of posts the Panthers bot needs to post. It’s all anyone cares about.

I don’t see the Jets winning well, or Giants. But Giants have a better shot so I will be rooting for them!

The Panthers will fill their end, I have no doubt.

• Beer 1

20 hours ago, t96 said:

Screw the Bucs, let's beat their asses and send them down to the 4th seed and a 1 and done in the playoffs against the Cardinals. If we can't drop below 6 and would need some serious luck to move up to 5 or 4 then I'll take the win this week if we can possibly get it.

Nah, fug being so irrelevant that all we can cheer for is playing spoiler. I hope the Bucs kick our teeth down our throats. This needs to be as embarrassing as possible until Rhule is unceremoniously fired.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

I did really wonder what was going to happen here.

I considered making a whole thread on it but felt like it lacked substance.

Anyways, Arians hates the Panthers, right? So what is worse to do to them? Pulverize and humiliate them or ruin their draft position?

Arians made some super bird brained move with the Cardinals a few years back “intentionally losing” to do some kind of backwards ass playoffs trickery that was highly touted and got him praised as some genius; it was supposed to work in his favor but wound up blowing up in his face super bad.

On 1/5/2022 at 10:37 AM, KatsAzz said:

I realize Neal,the Alabama offensive tackle, is rated high but almost all NFL Pro Scouts have him projected as a  playing Right Tackle in the NFL, the only offensive line postion we presently have covered.

Plus, i am not sure how long he could play injury free, considering all the stress his his vast amount of weight puts on his knees,etc..

My guess is the Panthers will try trading back to obtain more draft choices. There should be several good offensive tackles and a top center available to select  from, if the Panthers don't trade back to far.             

Trade back. Pretty deep OT class and the qb's are not worth a no. 6 pick.  

• Pie 1

Looking more and more like it won’t matter whether we win or lose today. Still hope we lose. Would hate to win and have it play some sort of role in whether we keep Rhule or not.

Lions and Jags both currently winning. How pissed off would you be as a fan base with the #1 pick on the line.