• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kenny Pickett at 5/6

davos

4 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

Elflein is really really bad but I have been wondering lately whether it's better to spend a bunch of mid-level resources on putting together a line with no weak links or to fill the "premium" spots with two quality tackles and just deal with a hole or two in the middle.

I'd like to think an optimal OL rebuild is:

LT: Neal/Ekwonu

LG: Brady C

Center: FA (I.E. Tedd Karras)--or mid-rounder

RG: Literally anyone else

RT: Moton

Combine that with maybe another late rounder as depth, along with whatever happens with Deonte, and it's a start for a QB not getting murdered like we've seen this year.

Then, we turn to the QB after another sh*t year with Rhule+Darnold and whoever the hell else they grab.  Heck, maybe a Mariota or Jimmy G can lead us to Bryce Young.  I just have an inclination they're done with the mediocre QB FA pickup.  They'll keep Darnold and add a rookie.  

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, Martin said:

All top QBs this year are going to the Senior Bowl, so that should give us a lot of additional insights. I still think Strong will sky rocket post senior bowl. I prefer O-line, but could see taking Strong.

In the 2nd or 3rd round with a different coaching staff.. I can accept a Strong or Wills..

23 minutes ago, davos said:

I'd like to think an optimal OL rebuild is:

LT: Neal/Ekwonu

LG: Brady C

Center: FA (I.E. Tedd Karras)--or mid-rounder

RG: Literally anyone else

RT: Moton

Combine that with maybe another late rounder as depth, along with whatever happens with Deonte, and it's a start for a QB not getting murdered like we've seen this year.

Then, we turn to the QB after another sh*t year with Rhule+Darnold and whoever the hell else they grab.  Heck, maybe a Mariota or Jimmy G can lead us to Bryce Young.  I just have an inclination they're done with the mediocre QB FA pickup.  They'll keep Darnold and add a rookie.  

Count me in on the Bryce Young sweepstakes.

• Flames 1

Would rather take Grayson McCall in 2023. No QB is worth drafting this year. Let Darnold play out his contract and go HARD after the offensive line. Hopefully you can snag two worthwhile guys, let them play out 2022, by 2023 they will have some experience and then you draft a QB. 

No need to draft a QB in 2022 if you can't address the offensive line. Darnold would be fine if he wasn't on his butt every other drop back. Getting hit with that frequency will result in poor decisions when there is no pressure, as we've seen and he's been criticized for. 

But there is an element of trust missing and Darnold can be sure that there are high odds a defender will be in his face almost every snap.

2 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Sorry my guy .. It shouldn't take 5 years.. And reality is most top 15 picks don't..

Like Darnold or Mayfield? 

I think its more dangerous to take a young player based off one good year compared to seeing a QB progressively get better after transferring and turning around an absolute poo program.

11 minutes ago, Kraybrothers said:

I think its more dangerous to take a young player based off one good year compared to seeing a QB progressively get better after transferring and turning around an absolute poo program.

It didn't take neither player 5 years to produce avg. To good numbers in college..

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sam-darnold-1.html

Year 2..

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/baker-mayfield-1.html

Year 2 for Baker as well..

And 

12 -6

13 -9

13 -9 

Then a big season of actual looking like a draft worthy..  Is limping and crawling to progression..

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kenny-pickett-1.html

Pickett year 5 and 2 senior season.   Later..lol

20 minutes ago, Kraybrothers said:

I think its more dangerous to take a young player based off one good year compared to seeing a QB progressively get better after transferring and turning around an absolute poo prograthink m.

What or who the fug are you talking about??

Pickett was at PITT all 5 years of his College career .. He didn't transfer anywhere??

7 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Personally, I think we will try to build the OL in free agency and we will take Pickett.  Not sure how I feel about it. 

I agree. I also think that Erving and Elflein will be entrenched 2022 starters.

So, basically Rhule is gonna take this struggling plane and push the yoke over in 2022. 

Ya'll thought we had a rough rebuild in 2019-2020. Wait until you see this poo.

• Pie 1

No QB picks period.....this ENTIRE off-season needs to be dedicated to fixing the O-line. Draft capitol,  free agent spending, cutting underperforming players, and making sure we have the right coaches to develop the people we bring in.

Unfortunately I don't think Rhule and Co. are capable but maybe he'll bring in some staff more capable if they keep him

8 hours ago, davos said:

I'm asking this out of sheer curiosity, not so much promoting him as our target QB. I know people are already attaching Rhule to Pickett, which is unfortunate because Rhule sucks.  But if we step back for a moment and just look at Pickett and his season, what could we be getting?  

I get many to most want to establish the OL first and foremost (I don't disagree) and without a 2nd or 3rd rounder, it will be even more difficult.  As things stand, we're picking 5/6 and then 105.  It sucks.  Hoping Henderson can work out and we can basically consider him a draft pick but the 2nd for Darnold hurts combined with it.

The trade down discussion is easy to throw out but I think it will be difficult in our spot.  Maybe we could do something with a Pittsburgh or Denver and get a OL+Corral/Ridder type combo but there's a lot of extenuating factors.  

So my questions aside from the OL situation and Matt Rhule as our coach (for now):

Is Pickett a viable #6 Overall pick? Corral? Anyone else?

And second: How would you go about building the line without trading down and landing a QB at #5/6?

PROFILE:

9c047a49-22c6-49a8-9098-193c0396b7a2-USA

6'3 220 LBS

Hometown: Oakhurst, NJ

23 years old

40-Time ~4.77-4.8 range

CAREER STATS (Top 2021 to bottom 2017):

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
334 497 67.2 4,319 8.7 42 7 67 165.3
203 332 61.1 2,408 7.3 13 9 75 129.6
289 469 61.6 3,098 6.6 13 9 96 122.4
180 310 58.1 1,969 6.4 12 6 78 120.3
39 66 59.1 509 7.7 1 1 74 125.8

WRITE-UPS

Per the Draft Network (tried to fix this formatting/pardon the large font):

HIGHLIGHTS:

My conclusion is that if we select him, I won't be disappointed.  I will no doubt wonder how the hell we build a line for him if Rhule is here and pray he doesn't get ruined.  I just see a lot more potential than plenty of guys taken around the same area.  He had a Burrow type ascent and I don't see why he couldn't come in at a decent level.  Looks a hell of a lot more ready than Zach Wilson for example, I don't see a ton of question marks.  Just seems like a solid QB I don't think we should brush off because of Rhule's history with him or the fact that we have a dogsh*t OL situation.  

Again I prefer an OL first approach, but if he's the pick, there will still be a lot to be excited about.

Cheers. 

He wears two gloves. fug to the no. Oh yeah and he fuging blows. 

• Pie 1