• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At least J. Person went out with a bang --- NY Times buys The Athletic --- "...turn out the lights, the party's over..."

SizzleBuzz

42 minutes ago, EgoDogg said:

It's bad. Digital Media is my career (SEO being the primary focus), and the company I was with the last 5 years was just acquired by a mega corp / media publisher. Since the acquisition, it's all about churn + hot take + volume as the priority. Quality has gone out the window. Oh, and ad infesting the site and alienating core audience by flooding the homepage with shopping content.

Currently working on moving towards a more ideal situation, but much (not all) of the industry only cares about one thing.... Revenue (obviously), but the path many take is morally disgusting.

Revenue = Ad Impressions
More Ad Impressions = More Clicks
More Clicks = More Hot Takes / More clickbait
More clickbait = More websites following the lead
Etc.

Glad to see they'll be operating independently for now. But it's a matter of time before The Athletic uses the same playbook & policies as The New York Times

It must be really hard to experience that process internally. That is just brutal. Good luck on the move! 

I'm glad it isn't all but it certainly seems to be heading that way. It looks like the easy and profitable route and until that changes it's going to keep heading that way I fear. That's part of capitalism, what makes the bad makes the reasons to go create the good again, as I understand it. I just can not understand why people like those dookie flavored lollipops but I imagine an incredibly large number of people are licking it up. 

I was actually going to buy a subscription this month with them and check it out if the Panthers were not in full clownshow mode after this next game. After watching National Geographic got stripped down I just have nothing but fugs to give to companies that follow that model. 

9 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

No.

I said, why are people paying for opinions (articles on Athletic)? Seems like a waste of money. If you want up-to-the-second news (not always found on the Athletic) ... it's found on Twitter (from reliable accounts).

Most of those reliable accounts are people employed by these media outlets though.

You’re not going to have a world where joe blow from target is breaking nfl exclusives on his break.

Point is, someone is paying for those people to tweet and break news.

2 hours ago, DamnItJake! said:

NYT!?? Political paper taking over sports cuz their NY teams suck!! So they got to bring everyone else down!!

F.J. Person and the unsophisticated bums at Bobcats games taking CLT straight down the path to NYC sh*thole status... 🤦‍♂️

Edited by SizzleBuzz

13 hours ago, EgoDogg said:

It's bad. Digital Media is my career (SEO being the primary focus), and the company I was with the last 5 years was just acquired by a mega corp / media publisher. Since the acquisition, it's all about churn + hot take + volume as the priority. Quality has gone out the window. Oh, and ad infesting the site and alienating core audience by flooding the homepage with shopping content.

Currently working on moving towards a more ideal situation, but much (not all) of the industry only cares about one thing.... Revenue (obviously), but the path many take is morally disgusting.

Revenue = Ad Impressions
More Ad Impressions = More Clicks
More Clicks = More Hot Takes / More clickbait
More clickbait = More websites following the lead
Etc.

Glad to see they'll be operating independently for now. But it's a matter of time before The Athletic uses the same playbook & policies as The New York Times

And people wonder why there is such a backlash against media. Corporate interests erode the trust in those institutions by the tactics they employ. They cheapen the product to the point where it is about as believable as a scroll through a spam email folder.

• Pie 2

A few quotes from the article:

"...the Times’ stock price dropped nearly 11% after The Athletic acquisition announcement, reflecting a stock market valuation decline of $700 million.

Translation: Wall Street likely hates the buy and wanted something else to happen with the New York Times’ billion in cash."

"... subscription-based Athletic had lost close to $100 million over the past two years alone."

"...multiple high-profile writers and several editors at The Athletic told OutKick the Times’ purchase has them fearing for their jobs."

image.thumb.png.7bd14b9002d1219e26411728769f3a04.png