• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

10 Guidelines to hiring NFL HC from Athletic Tepper mentioned in 10

raleigh-panther

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

this X1000

Matt Rhule isn't rebuilding.  Fans would in large been totally ok with a HC that came in and wanted to build this thing slowly from the ground up.  But Matt Rhule hasn't spent the last 2 seasons doing that. 

The arguement to keep Matt Rhule is basically, well, Matt Rhule fugged around for 2 years and now we are going to give him the opporutnity in year 3 to start what he was suppose to be doing in year 1. 

Yep the whole “rebuilding” thing is nothing but an excuse to fall back on from his coaching failures. 

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, you don't think there is a correlation.....that a guy who can't identify talent ends up with a crap roster? 

Of course i do, under the umbrella of roster decisions and trades as part of a coach's total job, then yes he's an absolute failure as a coach, no question, and he must go.  But to a narrower definition of coaching on game day, i'm not saying he is Walsh, i'm saying even if he was, we would never know because of the situation he created in building such a crap roster, with the crap QBs as the cherry on top.

Seems like the most important point for an NFL coach should be this:

1)  Must be great at X's and O's.   Willing to grind day after day after day looking for the smallest weaknesses in your opponents to exploit.   Also be able to view your own team the same way to avoid being exploited by the opponents.   This awareness allows the head coach to make adjustments both between games and within games.

Rhule seems to be tremendously bad at this.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Kraybrothers said:

Im not really sure what sones expectations were this year, especially after injuries to CMC & Horn. Tepper told everyone this would be a 3 year + fix. This is a rebuild.

1) at what point do you expect to see progress?

2) what does an NFL rebuild look like you

3) what are all the recent examples of 3+ year rebuilds that have ended in superbowls?

Rhule is a terrible talent evaluator, seems to play favorites (just look at all the fuging Temple and Baylor players lol), and an atrocious in-game coach.  He makes questionable decisions and can NOT adjust after halftime.  Sometimes we have a decent first half game plan (I say sometimes because lately we just get routed, but hey), but once actual NFL coaches get 2 quarters of watching what we're doing, they simply stop us... and we have no response.

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I can’t speak for everyone but it’s odd to be rebuilding, but have our picks traded away for vet players. Also…

-The Teddy contract/quick trade dead money

-The Darnold bidding war with ourselves followed by unnecessary extension.

-drafting a CB in the top 10 with QB and OL still up in the air. 

-constantly starting terrible vets over promising rookies on the OL

-the Robby extension 

-jumping on Erving and Elf day 1 in FA

-seeing no development in 2nd year/rookie players

-hiring a staff with little NFL experience

-having no backup plan for Darnold and then continuing to start him every chance you get

-drafting all defense one year, following by a first round CB and being surprised your offense sucks

-blaming Cam for losses in a lost season

Aside from these plus a few more issues, everything else has been to my expectations.

This is a perfect summation of why Rhule isn’t, wasnt and never will be the answer for this team or any NFL team. And this isn’t even including the on the field ineptitude. He can’t manage a game on gameday coupled with all this. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Kraybrothers said:

Im not really sure what sones expectations were this year, especially after injuries to CMC & Horn. Tepper told everyone this would be a 3 year + fix. This is a rebuild.

Get better from last year after having a year under his belt. You can’t blame Covid because everyone deals with that, CMC was hurt year before and they won 5 games, Horn wasn’t here year before so can’t blame nothing there. So why didn’t we win more games in year two when u should be getting better. I will tell you why we got Fhuled by this garbage salesman!

3 hours ago, mav1234 said:

1) at what point do you expect to see progress?

2) what does an NFL rebuild look like you

3) what are all the recent examples of 3+ year rebuilds that have ended in superbowls?

I can answer this with stats.  I chose to look at other teams coaches who appeared in the SB - not necessarily won it - since that game can go either way.

The paste isn't pretty, but the format is:

Team:  Record prior to coach taking over => season records until SB => What year did they appear.

Billick Ravens:  6-10 => SB, 2nd year
Harbaugh Ravens:  5-10 => 5 straight winning years, SB year 5
Fassel Giants:  6-10 => 10-5-1, 8-8, 7-9, 12-4 => SB, 4th year.
Coughlin Giants:  4-12 => 6-10, 11-5, 8-8, 10-6 => SB, 4th year.
Belichick Pats: 8-8 => 5-10, 11-5 => SB, 2nd year.
Martz Rams:  13-3 => 10-6, 14-2 => SB, 2nd year.
McVay Rams:  4-12 => 11-5, 13-3 => SB, 2nd year.
Gruden Bucs:  9-7 => 12-4 => SB, 1st year.  (Yes, Dungy did all the hard work)
Arians Bucs:  5-11 => 7-9, 11-5 => SB, 2nd year
Callahan Raiders:  10-6 => 11-5 => SB, 1st year.
Reid Eagles:  3-13 => 5-11, 11-5, 11-5, 12-4, 12-4, 13-3 => SB, 6th year
Cowher Steelers:  7-9 => 11-5, 9-7, 12-4, 11-5 => SB, 4th year
Tomlin Steelers:  8-8 => 10-6, 12-4 => SB, 2nd year
Holmgren Seahawks:  8-8 => 9-7, 6-10, 9-7, 7-9, 10-6, 9-7, 13-3 => SB, 7th year
Carroll Seahawks:  5-11 => 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 13-3 => SB, 4th year
Dungy Colts:  6-10 => 10-6, 12-4, 12-4, 14-2, 12-4 => SB, 5th year
Smith Bears:  7-9 => 5-11, 11-5, 13-3 => SB, 3rd year
Whisenhunt Cardinals:  5-11 => 8-8, 9-7 => SB, 2nd year
Payton Saints:  3-13 => 10-6, 7-9, 8-8, 13-3 => SB, 4th year
McCarthy Packers:  4-12 => 8-8, 13-3, 6-10, 11-5, 10-6 => SB, 4th year
Harbaugh 49ers:  6-10 => 13-3, 11-4-1 => SB, 2nd year
Shanahan 49ers:  2-14 => 6-10, 4-12, 13-3 => SB, 3rd year
Fox Broncos:  4-12 => 8-8, 13-3, 13-3 => SB, 3rd year
Kubiak Broncos:  12-4 => 12-4 => SB, 1st year
Quinn Falcons:  6-10 => 8-8, 11-5 => SB, 2nd year
Reid Chiefs:  2-14 => 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, 10-6, 12-4, 12-4 => SB, 7th year

That's 26 coach / team combinations who have appears in SB's since 2000.  Of them, only the Shanahan 49ers stumbled the first two years before getting to the big dance in the third.  Even that one came down to one simple factor:  Jimmy G could not stay healthy.  The first season Jimmy G played a full year, they went to the dance.

There is no room for a Rhule apologist agenda.  The odds that Rhule is "the guy" are so abysmally low that you just can't afford to risk it. 

Edited by BrianS
  • Pie 1

24 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I can answer this with stats.  I chose to look at other teams coaches who appeared in the SB - not necessarily won it - since that game can go either way.

The paste isn't pretty, but the format is:

Team:  Record prior to coach taking over => season records until SB => What year did they appear.

That's 26 coach / team combinations who have appears in SB's since 2000.  Of them, only the Shanahan 49ers stumbled the first two years before getting to the big dance in the third.  Even that one came down to one simple factor:  Jimmy G could not stay healthy.  The first season Jimmy G played a full year, they went to the dance.

There is no room for a Rhule apologist agenda.  The odds that Rhule is "the guy" are so abysmally low that you just can't afford to risk it. 

This is very insightful... Thanks for putting it together. I figured it was rare.

Shanahan had to deal with a severe injury to Jimmy G too, so it makes sense he'd get a bit of slack.

13 hours ago, BurnNChinn said:

Get better from last year after having a year under his belt. You can’t blame Covid because everyone deals with that, CMC was hurt year before and they won 5 games, Horn wasn’t here year before so can’t blame nothing there. So why didn’t we win more games in year two when u should be getting better. I will tell you why we got Fhuled by this garbage salesman!

I could even be flexible on wins this season if the young players were clearly developing:   

• Christensen and Brown were locked in as decent OL starters by the end of the season
  • Terrance Marshall was clearly our #3 receiver and rising
  • Tremble had grabbed the starting TE spot
  • Jeremy Chinn and Derrick Brown were having even better seasons than 2020

If most of that were happening, I could see that the team was starting to gel and more wins would be the likely outcome in 2022.

The current reality, however, is that ALL of the 2021 rookies completely stagnated and the 2nd year players got worse.   That is the OPPOSITE of what should be occurring during a rebuild.  

Coach Rhule needs to be held accountable for the lack of player development under his watch.