• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Audio: Joe Person interview (Fox Sports Upstate)

ellis

15 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

When you say Rhule is coming back is it gonna be with a ton of asterisks attached to that 3rd year? Like make the playoffs or you will be fired?

If Rhule comes back no way should he have any control at all. If he refuses to give up control fire him. 

Just to be clear, I think Matt is coming back. I spoke with somebody somewhat close to that situation recently, and nothing definitive has been messaged to him—but on the whole, it feels like he’s probably coming back. 

From my perspective, I interpret that as an instant warm seat, and definite hot seat if they don’t get off to a fast start. 

I feel there will be a bit of redistribution of power in terms of roster decisions. The biggest factor, and I can’t stress this enough, is staffing. I do feel Matt will be asked to make some changes, and while he might want Nixon as his guy, I don’t think the owner is going to tolerate that. That’s where I wonder if that could lead to some friction, and if it does, who knows. 

He’ll need to elevate to a playoff-level if he’s here again. 6/7/8 wins won’t cut it. Again, that’s coming from some pretty solid people in the know.  

I would just stay tuned over the next couple of weeks. Dave will probably speak after the season, and perhaps that’s when he comes out and gives MR the full vote of confidence. But after Sunday, there will likely be a couple of days of meetings to hash out next steps. Again, this pertains to potential staffing changes for next year, and how they feel about incorporating those changes into Matt’s vision/structure. 

If Matt is receptive to their suggestions, and I have no reason to believe he won’t be, there shouldn’t be much friction. But if there is a bit of conflict there in terms of Matt not wanting to replace some of his guys, we’ve seen this before around the league. Could lead to a protracted period of uncertainty in terms of next steps. 

I know that’s a lot of words, but it’s not an uncomplicated situation.

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Just now, Rocky Davis said:

I passed you a beer, but I will be spouting hellfire and brimstone if this poo happens. 

Again, the best decision Tepper can make is blow this poo up, swallow the fact that he made a terrible hire, know 2022 is going to suck azz and get a HC and staff with NFL experience....he would be able to hire someone if he did this!!

No decent candidates will take the job. Garrett is still a "name" and has a lot of NFL experience despite being trash.  No decent vet QBs with any sway to chart their own course will come here. We'll be stuck shopping in the bargain bin at QB again and Rhule won't go into a prove it year relying on a rookie, so it'll be a third or fourth tier vet QB again.

Garrett and Jimmy G are my predictions and yes, that's fuging trash. 5-6 win ceiling... again.

4 minutes ago, ellis said:

Just to be clear, I think Matt is coming back. I spoke with somebody somewhat close to that situation recently, and nothing definitive has been messaged to him—but on the whole, it feels like he’s probably coming back. 

From my perspective, I interpret that as an instant warm seat, and definite hot seat if they don’t get off to a fast start. 

I feel there will be sun we distribution of power in terms of roster decisions. The biggest factor, and I can’t stress this enough, is staffing. I do feel Matt will be asked to make some changes, and while he might want Nixon as his guy, I don’t think the owner is going to tolerate that. That’s where I wonder if that could lead to some friction, and if it does, who knows.

Thanks for taking the time to interact with us--I think the QB issue will be addressed in some way---they will do nothing until free agency's tea leaves can be read, then they will turn to the draft if they cannot draft a QB.  If they don't sign a veteran QB (which seems unlikely, save Mariota or Trubiski), they have to take the rookie.  That suggests that free agency becomes an OL shopping spree.  If that is the case, I see a Pickett--and wonder if any other is worth a first round selection.  Thanks again.

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No decent candidates will take the job. Garrett is still a "name" and has a lot of NFL experience despite being trash.  No decent vet QBs with any sway to chart their own course will come here. We'll be stuck shopping in the bargain bin at QB again and Rhule won't go into a prove it year relying on a rookie, so it'll be a third or fourth tier vet QB again.

Garrett and Jimmy G are my predictions and yes, that's fuging trash. 5-6 win ceiling... again.

Some have suggested Bill O’Brien, and he’s already looking into new HC opportunities as we speak. The idea is to find somebody with a philosophy that can coexist with Matt, but more importantly, somebody with NFL competency at that level. And based on MR’s track record in the NFL, based on the presence of Sam Darnold, it’s not an easy sell. If they had Watson or Wilson right now, it would be more enticing to some coordinator candidates, but that’s a timing issue. None of those deals will get done before the conventional window of hiring assistant coaches begins and ends.

1 minute ago, ellis said:

Some have suggested Bill O’Brien, and he’s already looking into new HC opportunities as we speak. The idea is to find somebody with a philosophy that can coexist with Matt, but more importantly, somebody with NFL competency at that level. And based on MR’s track record in the NFL, based on the presence of Sam Darnold, it’s not an easy sell. If they had Watson or Wilson right now, it would be more enticing to some coordinator candidates, but that’s a timing issue. None of those deals will get done before the conventional window of hiring assistant coaches begins and ends.

It just feels like everyone except David Tepper has figured out that Matt Rhule is simply not an NFL coach. 😞

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It just feels like everyone except David Tepper has figured out that Matt Rhule is simply not an NFL coach. 😞

I’ve tried to be really fair about Matt. I was open minded this off-season. Covered them every day at Wofford. Had a lot of positive feedback that I passed along to folks on Twitter/Radio/the pod. I thought the practices were well structured, good tempo, nice emphasis on situational football—there was a good vibe. 

I’ve seen a slow but palpable descent in terms of trajectory, and it really started in October. Matt has not managed games particularly well. The adjustments have been lacking, particularly out of halftime. Too many timeouts burned, too many communication issues on the sidelines, indecisiveness in terms of utilizing players where they belong, unwillingness to bend from his football ethos. 

We can think whatever we want about Joe Brady, and he wasn’t without his own issues at times. But if you look at the film, the route concepts and general schematics have taken a nosedive since he was fired. I don’t know what they were running against New Orleans, but it was some of the worst conceived stuff I’ve seen on tape in a while. 

Joe was the best equipped on staff to help Sam develop down the stretch, assuming Sam was coming back to start. Now, that’s gone, and Sam is out there running a high school scheme behind the worst pass blocking line and franchise history. 

So many bad ideas, and to be blunt, Matt was largely responsible for almost all of them. 

Almost nobody I talk to in the scouting/player/coaching world truly feels they will trend up under this regime. There’s a consistent theme with most folks with whom I interact, and it’s what I shared a while back: when an inexperienced coach is given the power to help pick the new general manager, that’s a red flag. 

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Ellis,

I loved the interview and likely this is out of line for me to ask, but I do wish you guys would ask questions like the lady or gentlemen said earlier in the thread about it basically sounding like Joe Person is saying our Plan A is to trade our franchise player who is great for our community and all our future picks for a QB with horrific accusations and to keep a college coach with an awful record, no staff member having NFL experience and a yes man GM. This sounds awful and we really may become a complete dumpster fire. What free agents will want to come play here? Heck, Watson already said he has no interest. Im at a loss for words.....

1 hour ago, ellis said:

Take it for what it’s worth, but Joe was pretty adamant that the team has soured a bit on Sam, much like they did on Teddy. He thinks Matt is likely coming back, and I’ve heard the same. But it’s going to get very interesting in terms of what changes they make on their staff, and how aggressive they get in pursuit of Watson, and potentially Wilson.

It is a known fact that Russel Wilsons wife wants certain markets because of her career, and Carolina is not one. 

7 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Ellis,

I loved the interview and likely this is out of line for me to ask, but I do wish you guys would ask questions like the lady or gentlemen said earlier in the thread about it basically sounding like Joe Person is saying our Plan A is to trade our franchise player who is great for our community and all our future picks for a QB with horrific accusations and to keep a college coach with an awful record, no staff member having NFL experience and a yes man GM. This sounds awful and we really may become a complete dumpster fire. What free agents will want to come play here? Heck, Watson already said he has no interest. Im at a loss for words.....

No, I appreciate the feedback. And thank you guys for letting me ramble a little bit LOL. It’s certainly worth following up on the moral element to Watson potentially coming here, and that’s still a big if by the way. 

What we tried to accomplish today was getting an insider’s perspective on the power dynamics/ structure, and general sense of next steps in terms of what’s going on in the building. Will definitely be talking with Joe, and several other folks on the beat, in the coming weeks. 

From my perspective, with all the unknowns about Watson, it would feel somewhat hypocritical for this owner to make that move, given the bravado he showed following the Richardson allegations. I’m certainly not defending Jerry. But someone with Watson’s baggage, whether the allegations are true or false, is an odd element to add to your culture, when you went so far as to tear down a statue of the former owner as a gesture of goodwill to those who felt uncomfortable with Jerry’s likeness, and all that it entailed.  

Then again, it’s the NFL, what I feel is right or wrong doesn’t really matter. I’ve heard so many good things about Watson, from a lot good people around him from his CU days. I’m not gonna be the one to stand in judgment on either side of this, but again, perception is not unimportant. Yes, it would feel a little hypocritical. I certainly understand those who would have a problem with it, and I certainly don’t want to shame fans who would like Watson here, because winning is the ultimate narcotic LOL. It is a complex issue, with a lot of layers, but at the end of the day… Dave is interested.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

It is a known fact that Russel Wilsons wife wants certain markets because of her career, and Carolina is not one. 

Yeah, I’m sure that’s part of what will go into the calculation for Wilson, if he does seek a trade. Other than the connection to Scott Fitterer, I don’t see why Wilson would come to Carolina. Especially with the tenuous nature of the protection schemes here. Russell has been dealing with a little bit of that in Seattle lately, and I think he would rather seek employment elsewhere. Hell, he did just say he might stay, anyway. 

Edited by ellis

1 hour ago, ellis said:

I think that’s the biggest obstacle: do Wilson/Watson/Rogers even consider Carolina? At the moment, no disrespect intended, I don’t see it.

With Pittsburgh opening up, Miami still seams willing to get rid of Tia. New Orleans is a QBs away from being a pain in the ass.. Panthers need an attractive coaching staff and offensive line!! So no way Russell, Rodgers or Watson entertain coming here!!

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, ellis said:

No, I appreciate the feedback. And thank you guys for letting me ramble a little bit LOL. It’s certainly worth following up on the moral element to Watson potentially coming here, and that’s still a big if by the way. 

What we tried to accomplish today was getting an insider’s perspective on the power dynamics/ structure, and general sense of next steps in terms of what’s going on in the building. Will definitely be talking with Joe, and several other folks on the beat, in the coming weeks. 

From my perspective, with all the unknowns about Watson, it would feel somewhat hypocritical for this owner to make that move, given the bravado he showed following the Richardson allegations. I’m certainly not defending Jerry. But someone with Watson’s baggage, whether the allegations are true or false, is an odd element to add to your culture, when you went so far as to tear down a statue of the former owner as a gesture of goodwill to those who felt uncomfortable with Jerry’s likeness, and all that it entailed.  

Then again, it’s the NFL, what I feel is right or wrong doesn’t really matter. I’ve heard so many good things about Watson, from a lot good people around him from his CU days. I’m not gonna be the one to stand in judgment on either side of this, but again, perception is not unimportant. Yes, it would feel a little hypocritical. I certainly understand those who would have a problem with it, and I certainly don’t want to shame fans who would like Watson here, because winning is the ultimate narcotic LOL. It is a complex issue, with a lot of layers, but at the end of the day… Dave is interested.

Remember when it was polled around Charlotte and it turned out the people would rather not have Watson here? I was rather shocked, but I agree with that too. The moral aspect here is big for Tepper as well and again I think its the wrong decision. Not to mention what's Tepper going to do when Watson straight up tells him he doesn't want to be here and play for Matt Rhule and this Oline. It would just be like how it was for him on the Texans:  A crappy oline, no draft picks, a college coach AND Watson would also wipe out the rest of our cap space AND we would be minus our only weapon Mcaffery. Why on this earth would he want that again? AND he has a no trade clause..... Its a lose-lose both ways and pathetic if that's our Plan A. (Does sound like something a snake oil like Rhule would be trying to sell him rn)

1 minute ago, DamnItJake! said:

With Pittsburgh opening up, Miami still seams willing to get rid of Tia. New Orleans is a QBs away from being a pain in the ass.. Panthers need an attractive coaching staff and offensive line!! So no way Russell, Rodgers or Watson entertain coming here!!

Agreed. It just feels like a more competitive market right now, with the issues you mentioned above being the key driver.  

There are several factors, and I’m sure each of those guys have their own criteria, but one common thread would be the head coach. I could see either of those three guys being comfortable playing for Tomlin, or Sean Payton, or even Brian Flores. Stefanski, as well, if they decide to get into this. Until he proves otherwise, I don’t see Matt in that class. So, once again, you put yourself at a competitive disadvantage: not only on the field, but in terms of recruitment at the NFL level.

To be clear, I don’t think people around the league dislike Matt. I really don’t think people in that locker room do either. It’s not about “hate”, it’s about trust. Those guys are aiming for championships + streamlined efficiency in terms of offensive systems and schematics. Carolina has a fairly significant disadvantage there.