• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Players still defending Rhule

Smithers

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

This is what blows my mind - we have heard Gilmore, Cam and Reddick show support for Rhule recently.  Add Burns to that list, with Shaq and Abdullah also reaffirming the culture is good.  

Maybe Joe Person is blowing smoke, trying to get clicks for The Athletic at a time when the future of that organization is in doubt after the buyout.  Who knows for sure..but the players sure are standing up for Rhule right now.  I’m curious how many team leaders Tepper has spoken to and if that has factored into his decision.  

Im not a fan of Rhule, and think he should be fired.  Just found this interesting and putting it out there for conversation.  

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/35995/brian-burns-matt-rhule-100-the-coach-to-turn-carolina-panthers-around

If they really wanted to support him. If they really think he is the coach, they would play better, period 

either they, themselves are terrible, or the schemes they are put in are 

it really is that simple 

they’ve had two years of Rhule. OTAs. Training Camp. Practices and two years of games and they still suck   

From watching Burns, many times, he is so out if position and misses so many tackles, it’s not funny and he does it over and over and over again   It’s either his lack of discipline,one or the scheme or both  

• Pie 1

The players probably all love Matt because he doesn’t push them out of their comfort zones to be great. 

Rhule coddled Sam Darnold the entire time he’s been on the Panthers. They didn’t bring in any competition for him, they picked up his option before he played a down for the team, and he barely played during preseason. 

I get being a players coach but I couldn’t give two flying f*cks how the players feel about the coach when the team performance is a 12 loss season. 

• Pie 4

16 minutes ago, ThPantherFan said:

The beauty of the PSL.  You're locked in to pay.  Recoup by selling game day tickets.

You are assuming we can resell them.  

Many times for a team and org this bad, we are left to eat it    

This team under this coach is Jimmy Clausen bad    I don’t want to travel to see the Darnold Rhule show and only the Tampa tickets this year had any value   It will be worse next year with only Pittsburg and Tampa again if Brady stays  even approaching face value 

every March, the invoice comes due and the prices increase and we pay whether they are good, average or poor to keep our seats 

It’s a choice I made.  Some people do rvs or fishing or various things.  I saved money to do this every year   I am by no means rich   Most PSL holders are not rich despite what people say on here 

I do not know what my decision will be.  After 22 years, I’m incredibly sad this year for all the obvious reasons 

I don’t believe in the coach or the owner.  I have to sit with that 

• Beer 2

I've thought the whole ,Rhule lost the locker room' thing was silly since there wasn't any real evidence for it. However, that doesn't mean he's a good and/or effective coach/schemer/roster constructor, and that's pretty clear on the field. Players complained when Hurney was let go in 2012 as well, and a few more years certainly didn't make any difference there.

To date, Rhule doesn't seem to be effective in the role and players/the team appear to be regressing, full stop. If Tepper believes another year will turn things around then whatever, but even if I'll never find out I'd be interested in knowing exactly why he thinks so.

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, musicman said:

I saw the entire team on Friday and they looked loose. I even watched some of the defensive walk throughs. They looked like normal, getting ready for a game. It doesn't feel like a bad environment. I truly believe when people don't know the real story, every story put out there is believed. 

They have work to do and people have to make steps in the right direction so we'll see. Some things obviously didn't work out. Some did. Since we all can't do anything about it, we have 2 choices. Support them no matter what as a fan or jump off and find a new team to root for.

It's like at a company, some people love the new boss and some don't. I am just gonna give it time. Maybe in college it took 2 to 3 years to turn around a program, but learning the NFL and its ways may take a little longer. We've got nothing to lose but to see. It's not like we were doing anything really good since 2016 on anyway. Tepper did say it could take 5 years when he hired Rhule. There's no reason to not believe someone who's had success at 2 different colleges couldn't do it in the NFL, he just may need a little more time. We don't want a flash in the pan, one great year and then back to square one. They, and fans want a consistent winner.

NFL coaching is high stakes and high pressure. You don’t get a leisurely 4 years to figure out how to coach a game and manage a roster. Rhule has spectacularly failed at everything, even the year 1 tank.

• Pie 1

Bears effort and attitude strongly support Nagy

Players supported Seifert too. It's pretty common for them to defend their coaches (out of a sense of responsibility if nothing else).

That's the public face, though.

Privately, there's still been rumblings of players "not buying into the process" and such. Ditto the stories about people in the building disliking Rhule.

30 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

NFL coaching is high stakes and high pressure. You don’t get a leisurely 4 years to figure out how to coach a game and manage a roster. Rhule has spectacularly failed at everything, even the year 1 tank.

So a new coach to NFL takes over a team in the middle of a complete world shut down, can't interact with his players and even scout guys, so he relies on past college players to get him up and running. Then with no fans or real player interaction, starts with the daft and rebuilds a defense that sucked. 

I don't count 2020. And on top of it, we got out of cap hell. What happens if Luke doesn't retire or CMC doesn't get hurt? Is Rhule doing everything right, no. But I don't think everybody can lump it all on him. Even drafting Horn was a good move but he got hurt (same day as CMC). How is that on him? The O-line is on him. Taking a chance on Sam was a good move when the other attempts didn't pan out. Picking up his option, not good. Giving Robbie more money or thinking Erving can be a starting LT also didn't work out. Luvu and Reddick worked out. Fox has been decent. But some guys show up great in practice and crack when out there. 

I'm not defending him but I don't count 2020 as a real year. Between Covid and the cap and everybody being new, it was a screwed up year.  I'm just trying to be logical. Tepper (IMO) is not looking for quick results, he's looking for long term gains as in a consistent winner. He's hoping Rhule can do what he did in college. Nothing is a sure fire full proof winning formula. It took both Brady and Belichek to turn it around in NE and stay that good. Npndy has a franchise QB for 15+ years. 

1 minute ago, musicman said:

I'm not defending him but I don't count 2020 as a real year. 

I do. Every other team in the league had to operate under the same conditions.

And hell, if you allow for the fact that last year was a challenging situation, how then do you account for the fact that this year's team was worse?

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I do. Every other team in the league had to operate under the same conditions.

And hell, if you allow for the fact that last year was a challenging situation, how then do you account for the fact that this year's team was worse?

So every team had a new HC, new OC and new DC and turned over a good portion of the roster? Be freakin real with your answers. 

6 minutes ago, musicman said:

So every team had a new HC, new OC and new DC and turned over a good portion of the roster? Be freakin real with your answers. 

How's Mike McCarthy doing?

Kevin Stefanski?

Hell, Ron Rivera?

Every team in the NFL had to deal with the virus crap, not just us.

And again, the team is worse this year than it was in 2020, and that not due to factors outside Rhule's control.

• Pie 2