• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So Who Can/Should we Get as our New OC if Rhule Stays?

Michael G

If Rhule stays we will need to fill some coaching spots. Right Now OC is vacant, with Nixon has Interim. If Nixon somehow gets to be OC then we will need a RB's coach. Our OL coach and QB coach may be in trouble too. That said focusing on the one position we know for sure we need to fill- Who do you think we can get? I didn't ask who is the best candidate B/C a lot of the best current OC's (Dabol, Leftwich) we'd want will be either accepting vacant head coaching positions or staying in the job that got them interviews for head coaching positions, not coming here. The same can be said for most of the Big Names (D. Pederson, Bill Obrien) we might want, that are out of NFL football right now too (Some maybe willing to come here if they cant find a better job- and they probably can).

So who does that leave? Realistically who do you think we should bring in (or promote internally) for the job. Please Explain your reasoning.  

Edited by Michael G

No coach worth having wants a one year gig, which is basically what any coach Rhule hires is looking at.  Would you want to come here as a coordinator knowing that the HC is already on the hot seat?  This is one of the reasons I think that bringing Rhule back is a mistake.

We have (correctly) identified an issue with the team regarding the woeful performance of our offense and there are a significant number of independent issues there.  Fixing it in one offseason is likely to require more assets than we have available, both in draft capital and cap space.  Knowing that it is unlikely to be corrected completely for next year . . . what then?

Rhule is done here.  I just don't see how it's fixable.  His ability to evaluate talent is questionable.  His game management is bottom of the barrel.  His leverage to improve his staff is non-existent.

It's just completely incomprehensible why we seem determined to keep him.  Rhule becoming the guy who builds the Panthers into a winning organization seems like such a long shot you couldn't even get odds on it from the shadiest bookie in the country.

Bottom line:  There are no external candidates who will improve us and be willing come.  We're going to promote Nixon, be terrible again next year despite heavy investment.  We'll then fire Rhule having wasted another season.  It's blatantly obvious.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Step 1: Steal Nathaniel Hackett 

Step 2: Make him OC

Step 3: ????

Step 4: Profit 

Once Nixon was promoted instead of Ryan, I’m not sure what is happening at all on the offensive side.  They could still promote him and he’s really the only viable option in-house that I see, but idk if they will.  I’m scared.  He could also suck big time.  Very slim pickings for quality right now.  

Guys like Pederson and BoB are getting HC interviews and won’t want to come into this situation.  No good coach will want to come here with a trash OL and unknown QB situation.  It’ll only tank their future opportunities once it inevitably fails 

Edited by PandaMan

25 minutes ago, BrianS said:

No coach worth having wants a one year gig, which is basically what any coach Rhule hires is looking at.  Would you want to come here as a coordinator knowing that the HC is already on the hot seat? 

This.  Also, will Reddick, Gilmore, Jackson and all other free agents want to sign onto our uncertainty?

We may end up with the most cap space in the league after next season.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1