• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This can be a playoff team next year if we bring Cam back......

tukafan21

26 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I think that's why you sell him on this idea, pitch it as a 1 year deal to be our backup QB if Darnold gets hurt, but when healthy, Cam still gets 20 snaps a game.  Worst case scenario for him, he proves his value as this do-everything player and a contender signs him to do that for them next year for a ton of money.

You pitch him on what this offense could be, particularly if CMC stays healthy and we draft an elite LT, as those two things change EVERYTHING.

I think we'll have a very good defense next year, we'll get Horn back, and I think a big reason for the fall off in the second half of the season was less about the defense as much as the offense just being terrible and putting the defense in bad situations and being on the field for too much time.

We've seen how effective that can be with Hill, except Cam is bigger, stronger, a better runner, and a better passer, I think it would be perfect.

Again, Rhule wouldn’t even run him on the 1 to potentially beat Brady and close out the season with a win.  

Rhule doesn’t want Cam and Cam is done here. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

See, I don't think that would be the case in this situation.

If he's here to be on the field for 20 snaps a game in a variety of positions, I don't think a Darnold INT will have people clamoring for Cam to be the starter again, particularly if it's working out with Cam in this role.

I think we all know Cam, at this point, just isn't an elite starting QB that can carry a team to the SB, I love the guy, but he's not that anymore.  Which is why I think he'd do really well in this position, give him 20 snaps a game, with probably 15 of them lined up at a position other than QB, 5 he's a decoy, 5 times he throws it, 10 times he runs it.  

He'll be very successful in that role, so much so that I don't think people would be yelling for him to become the QB if Darnold throws a pick.

I see your point and it could work.  As a young QB, I am not sure I would want the franchise's best QB dressed out, on the sideline, waiting to get inserted.  I do, however, like the concept.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I see your point and it could work.  As a young QB, I am not sure I would want the franchise's best QB dressed out, on the sideline, waiting to get inserted.  I do, however, like the concept.

Oh I think it's a terrible idea to have him as just the straight up backup QB for this reason.  

But I think Sam is smart enough to realize what Cam could do to help this team in the way I've laid out here to where it wouldn't concern him as Cam wouldn't just be the backup ready to go out there, he'd have an entirely different role

45 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

As a gadget player getting 15-20 snaps a game (think Taysom Hill)... honestly at this point, that's where he can do the most damage in the league, how do you stop someone with his size and athleticism who could always pull up and pass it at any moment?

Draft a LT with the 6th pick, spend money in FA on some guards and/or a center, and bring back Gilmore to be a mentor for Horn.

Use CMC in a Deebo type of role, give him maybe 10 carries a game, but have him mostly lined up in the slot.

Just imagine rolling out there with DJ out wide to the left, Robby out wide to the right, CMC lined up in the slot to the left, with Cam and Hubbard in the backfield with Cam on the side of the field as CMC.

You motion Hubbard out of the backfield and line him up behind CMC and pitch the ball out wide to Cam to now have the ball in space.  You have two of the better route runners in the league in DJ and CMC out there running two routes, CMC short and DJ mid range and you have Robby running a go route on the far side of the field, with Hubbard now acting as a lead blocker in front of Cam (or maybe this should be Tommy).

How do you defend that situation?

Cam could run the ball with 3 blockers out in front of him and in space, but you also have to respect DJ and CMC out there as he could easily throw to one of them for an easy 10-15 yard gain, and if Robby beats his man, Cam has the arm to get it to him deep.  It really is a lose-lose situation for the defense there, you have to pick your poison, but if Cam makes smart decisions, I don't see how that can be beat over the course of a full game if designed and executed properly.

The NFL is starting to act like the NBA where there are position-less players, you put Cam, CMC, and DJ out there on the field at once with Cam as a utility player and not a straight QB, I think defenses will struggle immensely to defend that.

Some actual optimism on this board. Love it!

11 minutes ago, matt rhules gut fat said:

Playoffs

lol

The 5th, 6th, and 10th worst teams in the league last year made the playoffs this year

I don't think this roster is all that far off from competing for a playoff spot, I'm not a Darnold fan at this point, I don't think he's the type who can lead us to the SB.  But if you upgrade the OL, particularly with the 6th pick, and CMC can stay healthy, I do think this is a roster that is built to compete for a wild card spot.

Now, can Rhule coach that team to get there?  

I think that's the bigger question, but I don't think it's all that crazy to think this could be a playoff team next year.  Don't forget, we basically will have two first round draft picks this year in a sense too, as getting Horn back is basically like adding a second first rounder to the squad.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

The 5th, 6th, and 10th worst teams in the league last year made the playoffs this year

I don't think this roster is all that far off from competing for a playoff spot, I'm not a Darnold fan at this point, I don't think he's the type who can lead us to the SB.  But if you upgrade the OL, particularly with the 6th pick, and CMC can stay healthy, I do think this is a roster that is built to compete for a wild card spot.

Now, can Rhule coach that team to get there?  

I think that's the bigger question, but I don't think it's all that crazy to think this could be a playoff team next year.  Don't forget, we basically will have two first round draft picks this year in a sense too, as getting Horn back is basically like adding a second first rounder to the squad.

Is it possible we get to the playoffs next year?  Yes, it's possible.  There are some requirements.

The main one is that the entire staff is removed and replaced with an actual NFL coaching staff.  Given the events of today, do you see that happening?  Yea, me either.

If I can do that math, you can bet your (*&@ Cam Newton can do that math too.  Cam Newton doesn't like winning.  Nope.  That's not even enough to describe him.  Cam Newton despises losing.  That's his motivation.  It's not winning.  And to see this team as anything less than a perennial loser with this staff in place is breaking out your old college beer goggles, your rose tinted glasses and dropping some LSD.

It not wise to have a special plays QB and mess with the salary cap anymore than needed.....

....besides Cam is not the aggressive big runner he used to be......nor a good artful dodge behind the line in scrambling like he used to.....

He's one step behind his prime and in the NFL that's one step too many.

Age has a way of taking the invincible feeling and skill set away from a superman. 

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

As a gadget player getting 15-20 snaps a game (think Taysom Hill)... honestly at this point, that's where he can do the most damage in the league, how do you stop someone with his size and athleticism who could always pull up and pass it at any moment?

Draft a LT with the 6th pick, spend money in FA on some guards and/or a center, and bring back Gilmore to be a mentor for Horn.

Use CMC in a Deebo type of role, give him maybe 10 carries a game, but have him mostly lined up in the slot.

Just imagine rolling out there with DJ out wide to the left, Robby out wide to the right, CMC lined up in the slot to the left, with Cam and Hubbard in the backfield with Cam on the side of the field as CMC.

You motion Hubbard out of the backfield and line him up behind CMC and pitch the ball out wide to Cam to now have the ball in space.  You have two of the better route runners in the league in DJ and CMC out there running two routes, CMC short and DJ mid range and you have Robby running a go route on the far side of the field, with Hubbard now acting as a lead blocker in front of Cam (or maybe this should be Tommy).

Cam could run the ball with 3 blockers out in front of him and in space, but you also have to respect DJ and CMC out there as he could easily throw to one of them for an easy 10-15 yard gain, and if Robby beats his man, Cam has the arm to get it to him deep.  It really is a lose-lose situation for the defense there, you have to pick your poison, but if Cam makes smart decisions, I don't see how that can be beat over the course of a full game if designed and executed properly.

The NFL is starting to act like the NBA where there are position-less players, you put Cam, CMC, and DJ out there on the field at once with Cam as a utility player and not a straight QB, I think defenses will struggle immensely to defend that.

If y’all didn’t pay attention to the press conference, it was pretty clear they are going to build an OL and let Sam play QB unless a wonderful deal comes along or they feel comfortable enough with the OL to draft Pickett. 

I like Cam but don’t see him coming back.

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

If y’all didn’t pay attention to the press conference, it was pretty clear they are going to build an OL and let Sam play QB unless a wonderful deal comes along or they feel comfortable enough with the OL to draft Pickett. 

I like Cam but don’t see him coming back.

A question you need to ask yourself is if we resign Cam are you willing to miss out on 1-2 OL players or Hasson Reddick because everything has a cost it’s not a limitless credit card.