• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This can be a playoff team next year if we bring Cam back......

tukafan21

43 minutes ago, Borat said:

They’re not “rationalizations.” They’re inductive conclusions drawn from the fact that 1) Cam has been very bad for the past 3+ season,  2) didn’t have a starting job at this year’s onset, and 3) had declared months before signing that he was ready for an NFL return. Three datapoints that cast substantial doubt on a face-value reading of the tweet. Context matters.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/18/pete-carroll-says-seahawks-reached-out-to-cam-newton

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/18/cam-newton-gets-covid-19-vaccine-still-wants-nfl-career

We're playing 21 questions for something that isn't that hard to believe unless you hate the guy.

39 minutes ago, Borat said:

Carolina had bottom-3 (and arguably the worst) QB play in the league last year. I don’t think it’s that much of a reach to say a Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. is worth ~4 ‘WAR’ when the “replacement level” benchmark is Darnold / shell of Cam Newton. 

Mahomes look as pedestrian as ever in the super bowl when under constant duress, there’s nothing he could have done with this roster to elevate it into a playoff team 

rodgers is disgruntled in GB because of there personnel decisions so I’d imagine he’d really really hate ours, and would probably be on ir with a broken collar bone behind this o line.

this isn’t even bringing in the fact our wrs we’re top 5 in drops. 

just too much for any qb to overcome 

Just now, Cpt slay a ho said:

Mahomes look as pedestrian as ever in the super bowl when under constant duress, there’s nothing he could have done with this roster to elevate it into a playoff team 

rodgers is disgruntled in GB because of there personnel decisions so I’d imagine he’d really really hate ours, and would probably be on ir with a broken collar bone behind this o line.

this isn’t even bringing in the fact our wrs we’re top 5 in drops. 

just too much for any qb to overcome 

Mahomes had one bad game against the best team in the league. You don't play the SB champs 17 times a year. Rodgers is actually a great example – he's been super pissed with the coaching and personnel and still drags them to the playoffs every year. 

20 minutes ago, Shaqil915 said:

You think the Seahawks made a starter offer for Cam?

And re: the second article, do you really read "I’m just waiting on the right opportunity. ... I’ve been getting offers, but the realization of it is, it has to be right" as merely 'I'm looking for the right coach, city, and team?' Especially when the team that did sign him 1) treated him like poo last time around and 2) has a mediocre coach / supporting cast? If anything, the first article gives pretty good context to the second – Cam turned down what was pretty clearly backup offer.

FWIW, I like Cam – he's a local kid and I followed him when he was in HS. I also think still think he has a place in the league. But as a gadget, 5-to-10-snap player for a good team with a limited, but decent QB (say, Tannehill or heck, the Falcons at this point [although they're not good]) – not as a starter. 

Edited by Borat

18 minutes ago, Borat said:

Mahomes had one bad game against the best team in the league. You don't play the SB champs 17 times a year. Rodgers is actually a great example – he's been super pissed with the coaching and personnel and still drags them to the playoffs every year. 

Its not just one bad game, the chiefs went and spent money and assets following the loss to fix there line. Imagine Mahomes behind a line that is worst for 17 games 

Rodgers complaints are due to the team not making necessary steps to win a Super Bowl not just make the playoffs. Packers have one of the most talented rosters in football I can’t imagine him doing anything with this coaching and players.

neither have been on a team as worst collectively as ours 

On 1/10/2022 at 3:09 PM, tukafan21 said:

As a gadget player getting 15-20 snaps a game (think Taysom Hill)... honestly at this point, that's where he can do the most damage in the league, how do you stop someone with his size and athleticism who could always pull up and pass it at any moment?

Draft a LT with the 6th pick, spend money in FA on some guards and/or a center, and bring back Gilmore to be a mentor for Horn.

Use CMC in a Deebo type of role, give him maybe 10 carries a game, but have him mostly lined up in the slot.

Just imagine rolling out there with DJ out wide to the left, Robby out wide to the right, CMC lined up in the slot to the left, with Cam and Hubbard in the backfield with Cam on the side of the field as CMC.

You motion Hubbard out of the backfield and line him up behind CMC and pitch the ball out wide to Cam to now have the ball in space.  You have two of the better route runners in the league in DJ and CMC out there running two routes, CMC short and DJ mid range and you have Robby running a go route on the far side of the field, with Hubbard now acting as a lead blocker in front of Cam (or maybe this should be Tommy).

How do you defend that situation?

Cam could run the ball with 3 blockers out in front of him and in space, but you also have to respect DJ and CMC out there as he could easily throw to one of them for an easy 10-15 yard gain, and if Robby beats his man, Cam has the arm to get it to him deep.  It really is a lose-lose situation for the defense there, you have to pick your poison, but if Cam makes smart decisions, I don't see how that can be beat over the course of a full game if designed and executed properly.

The NFL is starting to act like the NBA where there are position-less players, you put Cam, CMC, and DJ out there on the field at once with Cam as a utility player and not a straight QB, I think defenses will struggle immensely to defend that.

Please god no.

Cam is a shell of his former self. He is now a one read QB with no legs. We can find cheaper options to gain 2 yards up the middle on 3rd down 

8 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Its not just one bad game, the chiefs went and spent money and assets following the loss to fix there line. Imagine Mahomes behind a line that is worst for 17 games 

Rodgers complaints are due to the team not making necessary steps to win a Super Bowl not just make the playoffs. Packers have one of the most talented rosters in football I can’t imagine him doing anything with this coaching and players.

neither have been on a team as worst collectively as ours 

You're way over-indexing on how bad the Panthers are, ex-QB. Awful QB play makes line, weapons, etc. look bad too – it's a two-way street. Note a bunch of playoff QBs below the Panthers line:

FI32ZkUUcAERium?format=jpg&name=large

Substitute Aaron Rodgers for Cam Newton and the results would still be the same.

Matt Rhule's Panthers are not, nor will they ever be, a playoff team.

Matt Rhule:  1-8 against fired NFL coaches.

Yeah, he's really just that bad. 

If you've got to bring in a "superstar" OC to unfug what Rhule has done as HC...  why not just fire Rhule?

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

58 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Substitute Aaron Rodgers for Cam Newton and the results would still be the same.

Matt Rhule's Panthers are not, nor will they ever be, a playoff team.

Matt Rhule:  1-8 against fired NFL coaches.

Yeah, he's really just that bad. 

If you've got to bring in a "superstar" OC to unfug what Rhule has done as HC...  why not just fire Rhule?

See above. 5 QBs made the playoffs with worse supporting casts than the Panthers' stable. 

1 hour ago, Borat said:

You're way over-indexing on how bad the Panthers are, ex-QB. Awful QB play makes line, weapons, etc. look bad too – it's a two-way street. Note a bunch of playoff QBs below the Panthers line:

FI32ZkUUcAERium?format=jpg&name=large

You can’t be serious right now ? Dallas has a worst supporting cast ? The bengals ? Steelers ? Raiders ? If anything this proves my point. Those teams have nfl coaches we currently don’t, those teams have significantly better offensive weapons than we do too. Prime Joe Montana isn’t covering the blemishes of this roster and coaching staff.