• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers fire Blackburn, Okam, and Meyer

Cdparr7

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Two of those were expected. Okam is a surprise.

That's actually the second time Rhule has fired his DL coach. Guess we're gonna have a new one every year.

I see this a lot in both College and Pro football 🏈.  The coach, who is on the Hot Seat, fires his assistant coaches.  The coach maybe either; worried about his job and wants to show changes or the coach genuinely thinks the assistants are not performing properly.

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't know that people are upset due to Blackburn's firing in and of itself. I think people are more upset because Rhule--who essentially did a worse job, and is responsible for the entire clusterfug of a season--is firing fall guys as opposed to being fired himself.

As for Blackburn's work, I think that it's a little harder for the average person to evaluate ST play (as compared to offense and defense) from an analytical standpoint. And, you're right, maybe his resume is meh. 

I get that, but to be honest whether any of us are upset or not really doesn't matter at this point.  

As a fan I might not get the changes that i want but hopefully the changes that do happen work out.  These seem like good moves.

Our O-line was terrible.  I think most of us agree the talent might not be there but there did seem to be a lot of communication issues, which is often a by product of coaching.

D-line struggled against the run.  Pass rushing is often talent, run D is often about discipline and responsibility, which is often coaching.  

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Who put them there?

at some point, the General is responsible   We are starting year three of that General 

We all get that, but the reality is it doesn't look like it's going to happen. 

Next best thing is for him to get rid of the bad coaches under him and try to replace them with better coaches.

These moves are a start.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Who put them there?

at some point, the General is responsible   We are starting year three of that General 

It seems like Tepper has given Rhule a reprieve if he fires a bunch of guys - most of whom deserved to be let go anyway.  

I doubt Rhule can survive another 5 win season.  

Just now, AU-panther said:

We all get that, but the reality is it doesn't look like it's going to happen. 

Next best thing is for him to get rid of the bad coaches under him and try to replace them with better coaches.

These moves are a start.

This is where we differ 

he did original staffing.  He had a staff year 1 (he had turnover that year too). He does staffing in year two, bigger turnover starting year 3. 

There is a saying in business that is germane here

’once can happen. Two is a problem. Three is a trend’

in my life, and in my former work position, I never allowed the ‘trend’. 

in Pro football, it is the same.  

this guy controls everything.  Every single thing.  The buck starts and stops with him and the owner who gave that power to him 

• Beer 4

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Can't help but notice no mention of Rhule.

This is the guy who took Zane Gonzalez, who prior to joining the Panthers had a career field goal percentage of 78% . . . JOEY SLYE numbers . . . and turned him into a guy who made 90% of his kicks for us.  He took a guy who had a career touchback percentage of 56% and helped him increase it to 63% without the benefit of an offseason to work on strength.

But Blackburn was part of the problem.

Ok.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

I know everyone wanted Rhule gone, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

Getting rid of 3 coaches that were in charge of three units that underachieved isn't a bad thing.

Guess it's just kind of coincidental that all the "bad" coaches happened to be among the guys he had the least connection with.

Weird, huh? 🤔

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Guess it's just kind of coincidental that all the "bad" coaches happened to be among the guys he had the least connection with.

Weird, huh? 🤔

Doesn’t matter.  Getting rid of some of the bad coaches is better than none of the bad coaches even if the methodology is bad.