Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Panthers fire Blackburn, Okam, and Meyer


Cdparr7
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, BurnNChinn said:

I definitely don’t think Fhule is out of the woods yet. I would say this goes along with the Glazer report, if he can’t get some great guys, Fhule might be gone.

Maybe, but my point is its a bit of a double standard to be upset that Rhule has his inexperienced "buddies" as coaches but then you get upset if he replaces Chase, who let's be honest, doesn't really have a great coaching resume.

Apparently its ok if it's a former, well-liked player.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Maybe, but my point is its a bit of a double standard to be upset that Rhule has his inexperienced "buddies" as coaches but then you get upset if he replaces Chase, who let's be honest, doesn't really have a great coaching resume.

Apparently its ok if it's a former, well-liked player.

 

Hell I don’t think Blackburn is great at ST either but heck he isn’t worse that Fhule. He has no idea how to lead a team and he’ll don’t even know how rules work on calling timeout compare to play clock. So if anything his ass should have been gone first.

  • Poo 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

So we are going to criticize Rhule for having his inexperienced buddies on his roster but then get upset if he lets Chase go even though Chase doesn't really have an impressive resume and is one of those typical, well liked, gritty, ex-players that coaches usually give a job to.

Let's try to be consistent here.

 

 

I don't know that people are upset due to Blackburn's firing in and of itself. I think people are more upset because Rhule--who essentially did a worse job, and is responsible for the entire clusterfug of a season--is firing fall guys as opposed to being fired himself.

As for Blackburn's work, I think that it's a little harder for the average person to evaluate ST play (as compared to offense and defense) from an analytical standpoint. And, you're right, maybe his resume is meh. 

 

  • Pie 1
  • Flames 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Two of those were expected. Okam is a surprise.

That's actually the second time Rhule has fired his DL coach. Guess we're gonna have a new one every year.

I see this a lot in both College and Pro football 🏈.  The coach, who is on the Hot Seat, fires his assistant coaches.  The coach maybe either; worried about his job and wants to show changes or the coach genuinely thinks the assistants are not performing properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't know that people are upset due to Blackburn's firing in and of itself. I think people are more upset because Rhule--who essentially did a worse job, and is responsible for the entire clusterfug of a season--is firing fall guys as opposed to being fired himself.

As for Blackburn's work, I think that it's a little harder for the average person to evaluate ST play (as compared to offense and defense) from an analytical standpoint. And, you're right, maybe his resume is meh. 

 

I get that, but to be honest whether any of us are upset or not really doesn't matter at this point.  

As a fan I might not get the changes that i want but hopefully the changes that do happen work out.  These seem like good moves.

Our O-line was terrible.  I think most of us agree the talent might not be there but there did seem to be a lot of communication issues, which is often a by product of coaching.

D-line struggled against the run.  Pass rushing is often talent, run D is often about discipline and responsibility, which is often coaching.  

  • Pie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I know everyone wanted Rhule gone, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

Getting rid of 3 coaches that were in charge of three units that underachieved isn't a bad thing.

 

Who put them there?

at some point, the General is responsible   We are starting year three of that General 

  • Pie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Who put them there?

at some point, the General is responsible   We are starting year three of that General 

We all get that, but the reality is it doesn't look like it's going to happen. 

Next best thing is for him to get rid of the bad coaches under him and try to replace them with better coaches.

These moves are a start.

 

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Who put them there?

at some point, the General is responsible   We are starting year three of that General 

It seems like Tepper has given Rhule a reprieve if he fires a bunch of guys - most of whom deserved to be let go anyway.  

I doubt Rhule can survive another 5 win season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AU-panther said:

We all get that, but the reality is it doesn't look like it's going to happen. 

Next best thing is for him to get rid of the bad coaches under him and try to replace them with better coaches.

These moves are a start.

 

This is where we differ 

he did original staffing.  He had a staff year 1 (he had turnover that year too). He does staffing in year two, bigger turnover starting year 3. 

There is a saying in business that is germane here

’once can happen. Two is a problem. Three is a trend’

in my life, and in my former work position, I never allowed the ‘trend’. 

in Pro football, it is the same.  

this guy controls everything.  Every single thing.  The buck starts and stops with him and the owner who gave that power to him 
 

 

  • Beer 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

 

Can't help but notice no mention of Rhule.

This is the guy who took Zane Gonzalez, who prior to joining the Panthers had a career field goal percentage of 78% . . . JOEY SLYE numbers . . . and turned him into a guy who made 90% of his kicks for us.  He took a guy who had a career touchback percentage of 56% and helped him increase it to 63% without the benefit of an offseason to work on strength.

But Blackburn was part of the problem.

Ok.

  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...