• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on Fitterer's press conference

44 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I think we should give Darnold another shot.

Do ya'll realize Jets fans are clowning on us when you say stuff like this? They had some dude come in off the practice squad who played better than anything Darnold did in NY in three seasons. Stop this madness please.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, CashNewton22 said:

Yeah I’m a UNC guy but admittedly understand why so many have cooled on Howell/the other qbs. I’d be ok with trading back to the early teens and taking a Ol if that picks us up a 2nd rounder and we take some one like Carson Strong or Malik Willis. I only worry that if we do and they show promise we’ll keep Rhule even longer so I might be with you on no drafted qbs. 

I honestly would rather us draft offensive linemen and build a team for a good QB to come in the next year or two (like TB did with Brady) rather than draft a QB in the first round. I honestly don’t like this years QBs. Pickett might be the best but he’s older and only has one good year. I thought Riddler might be good but the way he played in the playoff game against a good team bothered me. I’ve seen a lot of player comparisons of Matt Corral to a bunch of QBs who ended up being bust, like David Carr so I don’t know about him. I’m not sold on Howell either. Willis is a no for me. Strong might be good in the NFL but I’m worried because of the competition he played against. I wouldn’t mind taking a late round pick on Zappe. I mean for someone to put up those amazing numbers I would love to see what he can do in the NFL, sure college numbers don’t always translate but let’s say a great QB was on a bad team, wouldn’t he put up big numbers like Zappe? If he ends up being a bust it’s okay because he will be a mid round pick.

honestly I would just rather us build a good team and when a good QB like a Watson, Wilson or Rodgers is a FA we can sign him here. Maybe if we suck enough next year we can get the #1 pick and get a good QB but I don’t want one this year.

• Beer 2

35 minutes ago, frankw said:

Do ya'll realize Jets fans are clowning on us when you say stuff like this? They had some dude come in off the practice squad who played better than anything Darnold did in NY in three seasons. Stop this madness please.

This level of ignorance is why you don’t listen to the fans who want to win now instead of waiting and developing what you have. There have been many QBs that sucked for years and then one day turned it around and  was good. The most recent example I think of is Alex Smith, he was worse than Darnold his first 4 years. Then look how good Alex Got once the 49ers drafted good offensive linemen and gave him some weapons and a good coach. Steve Young, Drew Bledsoe, Troy Aikman and John Elway took years to be good players. Drew Brees wasn’t good his first 3 years. Jameis Winston went from being a turnover machine to only throwing 3 interceptions to 14 TDs in 7 games this year and might have turned his career around. With the right coaching staff you can fix players, it happens all the time at all positions. Sam had a horrible coaching staff and franchise for the first couple of years with the jets. He comes here to a coach that is new to the NFL and seems to be doing a horrible job of developing players. It looks like players are actually regressing under Rhule. Add the fact 4 out of the 5 offensive linemen have sucked this year and our receivers have been pretty bad and the fact it seems our offensive coordinator is clueless to being an NFL coach and I would say that it’s possible that Darnold might be redeemed. It’s not a guarantee but it happens all the time in the NFL so why couldn’t it happen again? Give the guy a better offensive line and a offensive coordinator that can help him then find someone to help him improve this offseason and you might be shocked at what you see. Hell it took cam about 7 years just to have a completion percentage over 62% because it took him that long to find him a coach to teach him checkdowns and short passes. It’s easy to call Darnold a bust until you look at how he’s had some of the worst coaching staffs around and had crappy offensive linemen every year. Let the guy develop.

Edited by rmoneyg35
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

I feel like there's some misconception on this site that GMs league-wide have a say in the staff the HC puts together.

This is not the case.  If anything it would be troubling to hear Tepper and Fitterer trying to force coaches onto Rhule.  Regardless of your feelings about Rhule, that is not how a coaching staff should be built.

There needs to be a collaboration on the players being brought in and whatnot.  But head coaches should pick their own staff.  Do we trust Rhule to do a good job at that?  Maybe, maybe not, but it should 100% fall on him.  That is the HCs job.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, therealmjl said:

A breath of fresh air until you hear him gloating over Sam Darnold and emphasizing the need to prop him up with top tier talent literally everywhere in order to get an resemblance of consistent success out of him.

This front office is willing to ride the Darnold decision to their deathbed.

...square peg, round hole... if they can turn darnold into Brad Johnson...be the best story in the NFL... he kept saying how young he still is...

2 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Fitt is a smart guy, he had to kiss ass and brown nose Rhule to get the GM position. Knowing how this year went and the position that Rhule is a lame duck coach for next year, he is smart to distance himself from Rhule even if Rhule did have a big say in his hiring. He is auditioning this year and offseason to REMAIN the Panther's GM. I honestly think he deserves a chance to stay and help hire a head coach. Remember how everyone was talking up about Fitt knows everyone in the NFL, that should help recruit a HC. 

...yea...the energy spent playing company politics could be better spent on the task at hand...its a drain on ya... its like let me come in and do my job... 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

Only people still hoping for Sam know him personally. He’s a bum. Always was and always will be. It’s ok he got millions of dollars out of the NFL and will never have to work a real job in his life. So he’s a winner in life but an absolute bum on the field. 

Fit/fhule keep ramming him down our throats...

1 hour ago, Mage said:

I feel like there's some misconception on this site that GMs league-wide have a say in the staff the HC puts together.

This is not the case.  If anything it would be troubling to hear Tepper and Fitterer trying to force coaches onto Rhule.  Regardless of your feelings about Rhule, that is not how a coaching staff should be built.

There needs to be a collaboration on the players being brought in and whatnot.  But head coaches should pick their own staff.  Do we trust Rhule to do a good job at that?  Maybe, maybe not, but it should 100% fall on him.  That is the HCs job.

Coach and GM should be closely attached at the hip...or, you get the debacle we have... we basically have the toddler telling the parent what to do... Fits been around the block before... if i was rhule...i'd listen.

Edited by Pimpdaddy
  • Pie 1

25 minutes ago, Pimpdaddy said:

Coach and GM should be closely attached at the hip...or, you get the debacle we have... we basically have the toddler telling the parent what to do... Fits been around the block before... if i was rhule...i'd listen.

Name a single team where the GM tells the HC what coordinators and position coaches he should hire.

Yes they should be communicating constantly about the kinds of players and whatnot they are bringing in.  The coach should communicate to the general manager what kind of scheme he plans on running.  The GM should communicate to the HC the skillset of a player he really likes and how it can fit within the team.

But a HC should have full-control of the coaches he surrounds himself with.  I cannot think of many cases where the GM and/or owner makes a HC choose an assistant coach.  The only one I can think of, off the top of my head, was the Jerry Jones/Jason Garrett/Wade Phillips situation.  Other than that, the head coach picks his staff, on every team.  This is why the connections that a head coach has is very important.  A HC w/ a lot of connections will in all likelihood get the best assistants.  The GM has very little to do with it.

Unless, of course, you can provide me with examples of the sorts.  I'd accept being wrong.  

Rhule can ask for advice but Scott has always worked in front office.  Sure I'd be willing to bet he's made a fair amount of coaching connections and could do his research, but ultimately Rhule needs to be the one who does a better job picking his staff.  Just like all the other HCs.  And if he can't do that, then he needs to be fired.

... and I do think he needs to be fired.  I'm just explaining why HCs should be the ones who pick their staff.  Just like GMs should be the ones who pick their scouts. 

• Pie 3