• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We don’t know what we don’t know

Stuart Smith

I applaud the OP for playing devils advocate.  I'm sure Tepper has reasons we don't see.

The problem is his reasoning is flawed, and none of them outweigh the negatives.

I honestly think he's been weighted down by his experiences with the Steelers.  The fact of the matter is that the Steelers have been RIDICULOUSLY lucky in choosing their coaches over the last 40 years.  Now Tepper is trying to emulate that "stick with your guy" philosophy.

Unfortunately, Rhule is not Mike Tomlin.  He is not Bill Cowher.  He's certainly not Chuck Noll.  As candidates, Noll and Cowher both played in the league.  Meaning they had been around NFL coaching to see what it looked like first hand.  All three of them had 8+ years of NFL coaching experience prior to taking over in Steel City.

Once those guys took over, they won.  Like, just WON.  The Steelers haven't had a losing season since 2003.

Our organization isn't comparable, nor is the situation.  Instead of looking at the surface and saying that the Steelers stand by their coach, look deeper.  The truth is that UNTIL they found Chuck Noll, the Steelers coaching history looks like any other NFL team.  The Steelers didn't stick by Noll through thick and thin.  Nor did they do it with any other coach.

With Noll, he had a CLEAR, UPWARDS trajectory.  1-13, 5-9, 6-8, 11-3.  They stuck by Noll because he won.  They were somewhat tolerant at the end of his career because he had history of UNPRECEDENTED success there.

Tepper is putting the cart before the horse.  You become an organization that sticks by it's coach because you identify and  hire a winner.

Tepper has enabled Rhule to turn the Panthers franchise into a farce. We are bottom of the barrel, right along with the Jets, Jags, and the Giants (who soundly whipped out ass with third string WRs and RBs). We are a joke! I'm embarrassed to wear my gear, and I look at all the other Panthers sh¡t I have and wonder where it all went wrong. I even saw my Panthers sign on the ground this morning, and just left it there. 

20220112_084432.jpg

Hold up hold up.. 

Someone help me understand. First off, where is this idea of him being in complete control of personnel coming from?

Secondly, if he truly is. What would make anyone in their right mind think that taking that away from Rhule will make him a better coach and things will somehow magically get fixed?

Third, if it does get fixed that simply tells you you'd be better off to just cut ties with him and hire someone else. If all it took was to take his autonomy away.....

11 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Hold up hold up.. 

Someone help me understand. First off, where is this idea of him being in complete control of personnel coming from?

Na hold up hold up...

How are people this fugin far behind...its coming from fugin Rhule himself god damnit stop being fugin stupid about this poo.

https://www.panthers.com/news/matt-rhule-has-final-say-looking-to-build-relationship-with-gm

on the god damn website

10 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Na hold up hold up...

How are people this fugin far behind...its coming from fugin Rhule himself god damnit stop being fugin stupid about this poo.

https://www.panthers.com/news/matt-rhule-has-final-say-looking-to-build-relationship-with-gm

on the god damn website

Thanks for being an asshole about it. But yeah I'm not so far in the Panthers ass like some of you, jesus christ. 

I did not know. Now that that is settled, since you chose to answer, answer the rest of the questions. 

Alpha male or not, he got took by Rhule. Rhule didn't even want to coach here. He took our offer up north and they said who cares, hire a experienced NFL level assistant or kick rocks. He then signed here. Tepper just not trying to bite into that poo sandwich yet. He savoring the crust, while we are wiping remnants off our mouths.

2 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Hold up hold up.. 

Secondly, if he truly is. What would make anyone in their right mind think that taking that away from Rhule will make him a better coach and things will somehow magically get fixed?

Third, if it does get fixed that simply tells you you'd be better off to just cut ties with him and hire someone else. If all it took was to take his autonomy away.....

As far as the second question, Maybe with better personnel, we'd get better execution. I'm not saying that I believe this, I'm just throwing it out there. There are other issues like personnel evaluation--post acquisition--and in-game decisions, half-time adjustments and situational play calling that may be even a bigger impediment to Rhule being a successful NFL coach.

OP lost me with “Tepper is an alpha male”…. I mean sure, he’s been a very successful hedge fund manager, which I guess makes him an alpha?? It certainly does NOT make him qualified to turn around the dumpster fire he created through Rhule.  First step is firing Rhule, but this supposed “alpha male”, hasn’t even done that yet