• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers 3rd Quarter Efficiency

ellis

Worse than I could’ve imagined, and I knew it was bad:

But, John…Ron was THE WORT in is department. And, surely, John Fox wasn’t much better, right? 

Here’s how each of the Panthers last three coaches performed offensively in the third quarter of games, from an EPA perspective: 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1

In both Fox's and Rivera's cases, the team was going somewhere in year two. In John Fox's case he caught lightning in a bottle with the unexpected play of Jake Delhomme (aided by superstars Smitty and Pep). Rivera was bringing a hard-nosed version of football back in a soft NFCSouth and Cam Newton was literally running over everyone in his path.

In year two of Rhule's tenure, we get nothing after game three. We aren't dictating the game to our opponents, we're sticking to a game plan after the half that mirrors the first half. We play as if the other team were never going to make adjustments. And we just get stomped and stymied. 

After bad Panthers games I used to joke that we had had a Bojangles buffet at halftime. Plenty of fried chicken but not enough napkins leading to greasy fingers and sleepy players. This year, we've been so bad after halftimes that it wasn't even funny to joke about it.

Plus: Soft, unmotivated teams can't play well in the second half. They don't have enough grit to keep the efforts up. Michigan vs. App State a decade or so back tells the tale of that situation.

• Beer 3

Third quarters are all about coaching.  Halftime is your best opportunity to make adjustments that will improve your outcome.  Halftime in your best opportunity to motivate players who may not be getting the job done.

Our staff is the worst in the league at it, by a wide margin.

For a team who has received a directive to become more analytics based, it sure seems like we have a blind spot to watching our own coaching performances.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

5 hours ago, ellis said:

Worse than I could’ve imagined, and I knew it was bad:

But, John…Ron was THE WORT in is department. And, surely, John Fox wasn’t much better, right? 

Here’s how each of the Panthers last three coaches performed offensively in the third quarter of games, from an EPA perspective: 

Did anyone ask Rhule about the analytics of this in the post season presser? Or even third quarter efficiency?

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

I don’t know how he’s going about calculating his analytics but it’s 1000% not working and everyone can see it. 
Cris Carter once said that there are only 10 teams that really try to win the championship every year while the rest just want to make money. At this point I’m inclined to think that Tepper just want to makes money (bringing Cam back in). Couple that with Rhules latest comments about how Sam can do what Cam can, it just makes me wonder.