• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling Huddle GM’s: How would you fix our QB and O line in ONE offseason?

WarPanthers89

Within the premise of the thread, not my ultimate realistic scenario or preferred long term, a 1 year plan for OL+QB:

FA/Roster reset moves:

Release: Erving

Let Jackson, Jordan & Miller walk

Target a younger FA LB to lead this defense

Try to sign Gilmore but don’t break the bank, let him walk if it’s eating into OL allocation. We’ll have Horn-Bouye-Hendo-Taylor

Put DJ on the block through the season and quietly. Yeah I said it, don’t think he warrants a huge new contract come 23. Sell him HIGH

OL/QB approach:

1. My favorite veteran to get is Ted Karras from NE. Top tier center, midwesterner boy, great alternate experience starting at RG recently and it seems RG is his new spot. Just a sure thing, known commodity and not a BS reclamation.

2. 2nd favorite vet is Austin Corbett on the LAR. LOVED him in his draft class, was an assumed bust but ascended this year for LA playing over 1000 snaps, only 2 sacks given up and has been an asset for them. Thing is, he came in as relief so they’ll be strapped to sign him. He would come here and kick ass out of the gate.

2. Trade w/Denver so they can land Corral/Pickett at 6, leapfrogging ATL to get their guy—land their #9, a high 2nd (they have 2) and a 6th.

3. Draft Best Lineman Available at #9 (Ekwonu)

4. Use new capital to trade up for Carson Strong (fave QB this year)

5. BPA remaining draft (prioritize OL 4-6)

New Line: 

LT: Ekwonu

LG: Elflein/Christensen

Center: Corbett

RG: Karras

RT: Moton

Brady C & Brown are your main depth pieces at LT, LG, & RG

We’ll get a best potential LT in the draft and two totally respectable OL signings with the stud being Karras. Plus more depth in R4 and maybe 5.

That’s my OL that wouldn’t let Strong be murdered. You test them out behind Darnold first. If we’re losing, throw Strong into the wolves. We’ll either be on track for a top pick in 23’ or have found our QB1.

El fin.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

I discussed this in an earlier post, but I'll jump in.

Keep Brady at LT.

Draft Linderbaum at CENTER with our 6th pick.

Start Deonte at RG.

Moton is already a fixture at RT.

Draft the best G on the board in the 4th round.

Now, if we could trade down in the first and still get Linderbaum, then I'd draft the best guard on the board with our acquired pick, probably a 2nd or 3rd.

This would address all the spots and it wouldn't cost us a lot money. We could use the available money to retain our FA' or acquire some.

Of course if Brady and Deonte don't pan out, we'll be screwed 

In todays  NFL, and with a 17 game schedule, you need to build 2 offensive and defensive lines. At least as close as you possibly can. Injuries are just too frequent so depth is what will build playoff teams.

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

Where is all this cap space coming from? And why would anyone pay that much for Reddick and Gilmore?

I only see 2 big contracts Gilmore and Tomlinson. A journeyman QB shouldn’t cost that much, but there is going to be some cap movement whether we like it or not. 

Personally, Im for throwing money at a OL like Schreff or Tomlinson and rolling with Horn, CJ, Bouye, Taylor, Pride, and SOT at CBs (If we can get Gilmore on a cheap deal maybe, but not necessary). Let Reddick walk (Burns is similarly and it lets YGM get some much needed snaps). If we have a decent OC (doesn’t look like we will) I’m ok with drafting a QB if they feel there is one worth drafting. If not then draft the best OL and roll with BC, FA, draft pick, Brown, and Moton if possible assuming they can play their natural positions. If Mariotta or Mitch can be had for the right price, bring them in to compete with Sam. If not draft a late round QB to develop. 

The problem is most reasonable solutions aren’t going to see immediate results and Rhule needs immediate results so his process is going to be unreasonable…

What are you thinking?

42 minutes ago, davos said:

Within the premise of the thread, not my ultimate realistic scenario or preferred long term, a 1 year plan for OL+QB:

FA/Roster reset moves:

Release: Erving

Let Jackson, Jordan & Miller walk

Target a younger FA LB to lead this defense

Try to sign Gilmore but don’t break the bank, let him walk if it’s eating into OL allocation. We’ll have Horn-Bouye-Hendo-Taylor

Put DJ on the block through the season and quietly. Yeah I said it, don’t think he warrants a huge new contract come 23. Sell him HIGH

OL/QB approach:

1. My favorite veteran to get is Ted Karras from NE. Top tier center, midwesterner boy, great alternate experience starting at RG recently and it seems RG is his new spot. Just a sure thing, known commodity and not a BS reclamation.

2. 2nd favorite vet is Austin Corbett on the LAR. LOVED him in his draft class, was an assumed bust but ascended this year for LA playing over 1000 snaps, only 2 sacks given up and has been an asset for them. Thing is, he came in as relief so they’ll be strapped to sign him. He would come here and kick ass out of the gate.

2. Trade w/Denver so they can land Corral/Pickett at 6, leapfrogging ATL to get their guy—land their #9, a high 2nd (they have 2) and a 6th.

3. Draft Best Lineman Available at #9 (Ekwonu)

4. Use new capital to trade up for Carson Strong (fave QB this year)

5. BPA remaining draft (prioritize OL 4-6)

New Line: 

LT: Ekwonu

LG: Elflein/Christensen

Center: Corbett

RG: Karras

RT: Moton

Brady C & Brown are your main depth pieces at LT, LG, & RG

We’ll get a best potential LT in the draft and two totally respectable OL signings with the stud being Karras. Plus more depth in R4 and maybe 5.

That’s my OL that wouldn’t let Strong be murdered. You test them out behind Darnold first. If we’re losing, throw Strong into the wolves. We’ll either be on track for a top pick in 23’ or have found our QB1.

El fin.

This sounds good on paper, but it highly unlikely to occur. An awful lot has to go right for this to work. When a franchise is as bad as Carolina you just can’t assume you can plug a major hole with a FA and here’s why. There’s no guarantee the available FA you target will want to come here.

You’re entire scenario depends on two FA’s leaving their playoff bound teams and coaches (Belichik and McVey) to come play for MATT RHULE. 😂. It ain’t happening . Those teams may want those guys back for one. And two, 30 other teams may want a shot at them. Why would they willingly want to play for the 5th or 6th worst team in the NFL if there are better options availabile?

Then, you’re assuming Denver wants to trade up for a QB. What if Denver (or another team) thinks the price is too steep or they think this years’s QB class is weak? If no team wants to trade up then what?

If someone wants to make a deal, then great. But, we need to go into the draft with the mindset of maximizing our available picks.  There is no guarantee we’ll be able to acquire extra draft choices. We also need to seriously look at the small schools and under the radar players and hope to find on or two gems among the Undrafted free agents…and even the waiver wire.

18 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

This sounds good on paper, but it highly unlikely to occur. An awful lot has to go right for this to work. When a franchise is as bad as Carolina you just can’t assume you can plug a major hole with a FA and here’s why. There’s no guarantee the available FA you target will want to come here.

You’re entire scenario depends on two FA’s leaving their playoff bound teams and coaches (Belichik and McVey) to come play for MATT RHULE. 😂. It ain’t happening . Those teams may want those guys back for one. And two, 30 other teams may want a shot at them. Why would they willingly want to play for the 5th or 6th worst team in the NFL if there are better options availabile?

Then, you’re assuming Denver wants to trade up for a QB. What if Denver (or another team) thinks the price is too steep or they think this years’s QB class is weak? If no team wants to trade up then what?

If someone wants to make a deal, then great. But, we need to go into the draft with the mindset of maximizing our available picks.  There is no guarantee we’ll be able to acquire extra draft choices. We also need to seriously look at the small schools and under the radar players and hope to find on or two gems among the Undrafted free agents…and even the waiver wire.

True that’s why I prefaced it as unrealistic and just my ideal targets/offseason per the premise of the thread.

If we’re talking realistically, we’re f*cked 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I only see 2 big contracts Gilmore and Tomlinson. A journeyman QB shouldn’t cost that much, but there is going to be some cap movement whether we like it or not. 

Personally, Im for throwing money at a OL like Schreff or Tomlinson and rolling with Horn, CJ, Bouye, Taylor, Pride, and SOT at CBs (If we can get Gilmore on a cheap deal maybe, but not necessary). Let Reddick walk (Burns is similarly and it lets YGM get some much needed snaps). If we have a decent OC (doesn’t look like we will) I’m ok with drafting a QB if they feel there is one worth drafting. If not then draft the best OL and roll with BC, FA, draft pick, Brown, and Moton if possible assuming they can play their natural positions. If Mariotta or Mitch can be had for the right price, bring them in to compete with Sam. If not draft a late round QB to develop. 

The problem is most reasonable solutions aren’t going to see immediate results and Rhule needs immediate results so his process is going to be unreasonable…

What are you thinking?

That the Panthers have about 28M to fill numerous spots. And only one pick that should realistically help next year. For now. And that draft class will cost 6-7M. So now they have 20M to find a QB, 3 OL, FS, DT, LB, plus another TE. How is half that on one player going to fix all this. I’ve been telling folks for two years he has been killing y’all with almost every move. I don’t even have a clue how to fix it besides burning it down. But spending and restructuring is the last thing and why it’s like this. 

1 hour ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

We are not going to the playoffs with Sam Darnold at QB, even if we do manage to draft a hall of fame LT. This years O-line free agency class is surprisingly decent, I would fix O-line through free agency. I think one underrated scenario is trading picks for Russell Wilson. There is a Fitt connection and Wilson played ball at NC State. I know Wilson hasn't said we were one of his top destinations and he can veto but can you imagine our offense weapons with Wilson at QB? Any QB would want to play with CMC, we have decent WR, just need an O-line. We have a top 5 defense too. I believe Wilson still has many good years ahead of him and would instantly make us playoff contenders. 

I think Russell Wilson is great, but poor roster management and his head coach are holding him back.

Why would he come to Charlotte to play under a GM construct the roster that underachieved in Seattle?

Wilson’s line in Seattle has been at best mediocre for years. At the current time ours is even worse. 

MacCaffrey can’t stay on the field. Touting him as a reason to come play for the Panthers isn’t going to be a major selling point.

We have one good receiver in DJ Moore. He could start on half of the teams in the NFL. Who else on the roster can we say that about?

Wilson is married to Ciara, a B\C level celebrity. I don’t see her getting excited about moving to Charlotte.

I can’t even fathom him coming here…but I admit if he did it would get fans excited and make us better overnight.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That the Panthers have about 28M to fill numerous spots. And only one pick that should realistically help next year. For now. And that draft class will cost 6-7M. So now they have 20M to find a QB, 3 OL, FS, DT, LB, plus another TE. How is half that on one player going to fix all this. I’ve been telling folks for two years he has been killing y’all with almost every move. I don’t even have a clue how to fix it besides burning it down. But spending and restructuring is the last thing and why it’s like this. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Yeah it looks like we are in the middle of the NFL before any moves are made.  The Saints and Packers are 60 million and 40 million over before any signings. Yikes! It also shows you how these guys are manipulating it. I’d expect a contract for a top OL for us to be loaded more on the 2nd year than the first, but a lot of these teams manage to push it down the road every year. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t won’t Rhule handling any long term contracts, but I wouldn’t stress too much about our cap. However, if we didn’t extend Sam and Robby, we would be sitting pretty this year and great the following…

15 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I think Russell Wilson is great, but poor roster management and his head coach are holding him back.

Why would he come to Charlotte to play under a GM construct the roster that underachieved in Seattle?

Wilson’s line in Seattle has been at best mediocre for years. At the current time ours is even worse. 

MacCaffrey can’t stay on the field. Touting him as a reason to come play for the Panthers isn’t going to be a major selling point.

We have one good receiver in DJ Moore. He could start on half of the teams in the NFL. Who else on the roster can we say that about?

Wilson is married to Ciara, a B\C level celebrity. I don’t see her getting excited about moving to Charlotte.

I can’t even fathom him coming here…but I admit if he did it would get fans excited and make us better overnight.

For sure it's a long shot, however there are enough talking points to consider the move. He wants to go to Chicago, I don't think they have that great of an offense, sure city draw is better than Charlotte. New Orleans is a good draw but they have no cap space for his contract. Dallas already has Dak. I forgot who the other team he wants to go to. 

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Yeah it looks like we are in the middle of the NFL before any moves are made.  The Saints and Packers are 60 million and 40 million over before any signings. Yikes! It also shows you how these guys are manipulating it. I’d expect a contract for a top OL for us to be loaded more on the 2nd year than the first, but a lot of these teams manage to push it down the road every year. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t won’t Rhule handling any long term contracts, but I wouldn’t stress too much about our cap. However, if we didn’t extend Sam and Robby, we would be sitting pretty this year and great the following…

It’s not about what you have. It’s about what you need. The Saints have spent a decade trying to win in their HOF QBs window. The Packers are doing it every in year too. With both having quality players at almost every position. The Panthers have been awful 3 years. 

The Panthers have huge holes at almost every position, no depth and most importantly, no QB. They wasted about 80M in 2021 and just those two you mentioned was 40-50M last year. What would 130M added to this roster? Instead of Teddy, KK, Okung, Boston,Weatherly, Sam, RA extension. Not even counting giving a guy the biggest RB deal…ever.