• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling Huddle GM’s: How would you fix our QB and O line in ONE offseason?

WarPanthers89

Okay Huddlers:

The time has come for you play pretend. Imagine overnight you gain 75 pounds, snort some coke, sweat through your smock, and sell some used cars to become our fearless DBO king Rhule. You have one job….to fix the teams O line and QB in one offseason to save your job. What would you do in order to fix the disaster we currently have on offense? 

Here is a random example of MY plan:

1. Sign Guard Laken Tomlinson to a 3 year, 27 million dollar contract.

2. Move Brady Christensen to Left Guard 

3. Draft the best LT at pick number 6 (Charles Cross or Icky Ekwonu as Neal will be gone by 6)

4. Sign G/C James Daniels to a 5 year 50 million dollar contract (10 million average, 24 million guaranteed) 

5. Sign Vet QB: We all know we are tied to Sam but SCREW his fragile feelings. He needs to compete with another vet and not be given anything other than the 18 million (kill me please). Ryan Fitzpatrick or Tyrod Taylor would be signed with a chance to start for the year. They can be signed cheap without hurting future cap. 

6. Draft your best prospects in rounds 4-7. This could be a rookie developmental QB, more Guards, Centers, etc. but it better be O line or QB. 

26. G LAKEN TOMLINSON, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Tomlinson has picked up where he left off in 2020, earning a second consecutive grade above 70.0. He has yet to allow a sack through Week 13 of the 2021 season. Tomlinson has surrendered a quarterback pressure on just 3.8% of pass-rush snaps, the 16th-best mark among guards with at least 200 snaps on the season. The former first-round pick of the Detroit Lions in 2015 may be in for a bigger deal this time around than his early extension signed in 2018 for three years, $16.5 million.

Strengths:
-Value-add in run game, one of highest percentages of positively graded run blocks
-Zone blocking

Weaknesses:
-Pass blocking on true pass sets
-Locking onto targets on the move

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING GUARD: Tomlinson has developed into one of the best guards in the league under Kyle Shanahan, so a zone-heavy system is best for him to ensure continued high production. However, Tomlinson has done it all throughout his career and he can play in any scheme.

Recent Injury History:
Since 2017, Tomlinson has played at least 1,000 snaps in every season. He tore an MCL toward the end of 2018 but recovered in time to play every game in 2019.

Contract Projection: Three years, $27 million ($9M per year, $16.5 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
After a slow start to his career, Tomlinson developed into a high-end starter and his most recent work ranks him among the league's best guards. He's a valuable asset in the run game and a strong pass protector who has plenty of good football left as a starting guard.

40. G JAMES DANIELS, CHICAGO BEARS

Daniels is quietly in the midst of his best NFL season, with the Bears finally putting him at one position — right guard — and leaving him there to improve over the year. Daniels was one of the youngest draft picks in 2018 and will still be just 24 years old in Week 1 of 2022. The combination of youth and the fact Daniels kept getting moved around the interior of the offensive line suggests he could have even more untapped potential as a full-time right guard. From Week 4 to Week 12 this season, Daniels’ 78.5 overall grade ranks ninth among guards, his 80.0 pass-blocking grade ranks sixth and his 78.7 run-blocking grade ranks 11th.

Strengths:
– Age
– Zone blocking
– Pass blocking

Weaknesses:
– Gap runs
– Facing power

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING GUARD IN A ZONE-BLOCKING SCHEME: Daniels has played predominantly in zone-heavy attacks between college at Iowa and his four years with the Bears, and that's where he excels when it comes to the run game.

Recent Injury History:
Daniels played in every game in 2018 and 2019 before a torn pectoral robbed him of all but five games in 2020. He's been healthy again in 2021, playing in every game through Week 12.

Contract Projection: Five years, $50 million ($10M per year, $24M total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
Since 2018, Daniels has been productive at both guard positions. He also has experience at center and will turn 25 just after opening day in 2022. Daniels is an excellent fit for a zone-blocking scheme and has been one of the best pass-blocking guards in the league over the last two seasons. His best football may still be ahead of him.

F0966129-5B20-4C85-8289-F8DF975D2CD8.jpeg

C56485F3-266B-465C-9474-87444A4C07F3.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I discussed this in an earlier post, but I'll jump in.

Keep Brady at LT.

Draft Linderbaum at CENTER with our 6th pick.

Start Deonte at RG.

Moton is already a fixture at RT.

Draft the best G on the board in the 4th round.

Now, if we could trade down in the first and still get Linderbaum, then I'd draft the best guard on the board with our acquired pick, probably a 2nd or 3rd.

This would address all the spots and it wouldn't cost us a lot money. We could use the available money to retain our FA' or acquire some.

Of course if Brady and Deonte don't pan out, we'll be screwed 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

I discussed this in an earlier post, but I'll jump in.

Keep Brady at LT.

Draft Linderbaum at CENTER with our 6th pick.

Start Deonte at RG.

Moton is already a fixture at RT.

Draft the best G on the board in the 4th round.

Now, if we could trade down in the first and still get Linderbaum, then I'd draft the best guard on the board with our acquired pick, probably a 2nd or 3rd.

This would address all the spots and it wouldn't cost us a lot money. We could use the available money to retain our FA' or acquire some.

Of course if Brady and Deonte don't pan out, we'll be screwed 

What about QB? You rolling with happy feet Darnold for 22?

13 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Okay Huddlers:

The time has come for you play pretend. Imagine overnight you gain 75 pounds, snort some coke, sweat through your smock, and sell some used cars to become our fearless DBO king Rhule. You have one job….to fix the teams O line and QB in one offseason to save your job. What would you do in order to fix the disaster we currently have on offense? 

Here is a random example of MY plan:

1. Sign Guard Laken Tomlinson to a 3 year, 27 million dollar contract.

2. Move Brady Christensen to Left Guard 

3. Draft the best LT at pick number 6 (Charles Cross or Icky Ekwonu as Neal will be gone by 6)

4. Sign G/C James Daniels to a 5 year 50 million dollar contract (10 million average, 24 million guaranteed) 

5. Sign Vet QB: We all know we are tied to Sam but SCREW his fragile feelings. He needs to compete with another vet and not be given anything other than the 18 million (kill me please). Ryan Fitzpatrick or Tyrod Taylor would be signed with a chance to start for the year. They can be signed cheap without hurting future cap. 

6. Draft your best prospects in rounds 4-7. This could be a rookie developmental QB, more Guards, Centers, etc. but it better be O line or QB. 

26. G LAKEN TOMLINSON, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Tomlinson has picked up where he left off in 2020, earning a second consecutive grade above 70.0. He has yet to allow a sack through Week 13 of the 2021 season. Tomlinson has surrendered a quarterback pressure on just 3.8% of pass-rush snaps, the 16th-best mark among guards with at least 200 snaps on the season. The former first-round pick of the Detroit Lions in 2015 may be in for a bigger deal this time around than his early extension signed in 2018 for three years, $16.5 million.

Strengths:
-Value-add in run game, one of highest percentages of positively graded run blocks
-Zone blocking

Weaknesses:
-Pass blocking on true pass sets
-Locking onto targets on the move

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING GUARD: Tomlinson has developed into one of the best guards in the league under Kyle Shanahan, so a zone-heavy system is best for him to ensure continued high production. However, Tomlinson has done it all throughout his career and he can play in any scheme.

Recent Injury History:
Since 2017, Tomlinson has played at least 1,000 snaps in every season. He tore an MCL toward the end of 2018 but recovered in time to play every game in 2019.

Contract Projection: Three years, $27 million ($9M per year, $16.5 million total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
After a slow start to his career, Tomlinson developed into a high-end starter and his most recent work ranks him among the league's best guards. He's a valuable asset in the run game and a strong pass protector who has plenty of good football left as a starting guard.

40. G JAMES DANIELS, CHICAGO BEARS

Daniels is quietly in the midst of his best NFL season, with the Bears finally putting him at one position — right guard — and leaving him there to improve over the year. Daniels was one of the youngest draft picks in 2018 and will still be just 24 years old in Week 1 of 2022. The combination of youth and the fact Daniels kept getting moved around the interior of the offensive line suggests he could have even more untapped potential as a full-time right guard. From Week 4 to Week 12 this season, Daniels’ 78.5 overall grade ranks ninth among guards, his 80.0 pass-blocking grade ranks sixth and his 78.7 run-blocking grade ranks 11th.

Strengths:
– Age
– Zone blocking
– Pass blocking

Weaknesses:
– Gap runs
– Facing power

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING GUARD IN A ZONE-BLOCKING SCHEME: Daniels has played predominantly in zone-heavy attacks between college at Iowa and his four years with the Bears, and that's where he excels when it comes to the run game.

Recent Injury History:
Daniels played in every game in 2018 and 2019 before a torn pectoral robbed him of all but five games in 2020. He's been healthy again in 2021, playing in every game through Week 12.

Contract Projection: Five years, $50 million ($10M per year, $24M total guaranteed)

Bottom Line:
Since 2018, Daniels has been productive at both guard positions. He also has experience at center and will turn 25 just after opening day in 2022. Daniels is an excellent fit for a zone-blocking scheme and has been one of the best pass-blocking guards in the league over the last two seasons. His best football may still be ahead of him.

F0966129-5B20-4C85-8289-F8DF975D2CD8.jpeg

C56485F3-266B-465C-9474-87444A4C07F3.jpeg

Is there a new salary cap you’re going by? 

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

What about QB? You rolling with happy feet Darnold for 22?

Of course not. But, we may have to for one more season. Then again if Sam actually had time to set his feet and not have to run for his life after 2 seconds, I'm not so sure Darnold couldn't at least become a mid-level starter in the NFL.

One of reasons I went my route was to save money so if a good QB option was available in Free Agency we may have a chance to get one. 

I looked at the Rhule hiring as a 3 year rebuild. This year was terrible so we are a year behind schedule. I don't think any rookie from the 2022 draft class can come to this present team and light things up. So, I say address a major weakness and go all in for our QB in the 2023 draft or free agency.

Edited by SCO96
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Is there a new salary cap you’re going by? 

Lol no this can easily be done with a couple salary cap moves (see other threads) and I want to hear your plan not a critique of mine. All resources of our cap should be going to fixing our terrible line…..you know this mayne. 

Just now, WarPanthers89 said:

Lol no this can easily be done with a couple salary cap moves (see other threads) and I want to hear your plan not a critique of mine. All resources of our cap should be going to fixing our terrible line…..you know this mayne. 

And there in lies the problem. Doing the same thing they have done for years, and expecting it to work. Which deals are getting restructured? CMC again(that’s going well). Shaq had a good half a year and he already has his loaded with dead cap. Moton who already has 39M in dead cap. 

This is why the roster sucks and there no resource to fix it quickly short of some lotto sized luck. Also need FS, DT, MLB, and any sort of depth. 

Anyone who suggests moving Christiansen to guard loses credibility pretty quickly.  The guy had questions about his functional strength coming out.  That's the last trait you want in a guard.  Christiansen is a tackle.  It remains to be seen if he's a good tackle.  Limited exposure seems to indicate he may be at least average, which is a damn sight better than we've had since Gross retired an Oher had his brain knocked out.

You are also trying to fix it all in one offseason, which is unlikely.  It forces you to take stupid risks.

If you have a competent staff, your steps are:

1.  Evaluate the draft class.  If you think there is a franchise QB in the draft, you draft him.  FULL STOP.  If you don't see a QB, you look to trade back if possible.  I think that's going to be unbelievably hard.  But no matter what happens with trading back, you draft an IOL in the first round.  Whoever is high on your board.

2.  In the fourth, you draft another IOL if one is available with an appropriate grade.  You gotta come out of the draft with two IOL.  Period.

3.  In free agency you're gonna have money to sign one of:  Reddick ($14 mil valuation) or Gilmore ($13 mil)

4.  Consider signing DJax if  A) You do NOT sign Gilmore and B) he accepts something reasonable (around $5 mil)  Otherwise, roll with what you have at CB.

5.  Try to sign Laken Tomlinson around $8 - $9 per season.

6.  If you don't draft a QB, sign someone like Mariota or Brissett and don't expect him to be the answer.  He's just there so you don't have to start Sam Darnold.  Or PJ Walker.  God.

That's it.  That's all you can realistically expect in one offseason.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Anyone who suggests moving Christiansen to guard loses credibility pretty quickly.  The guy had questions about his functional strength coming out.  That's the last trait you want in a guard.  Christiansen is a tackle.  It remains to be seen if he's a good tackle.  Limited exposure seems to indicate he may be at least average, which is a damn sight better than we've had since Gross retired an Oher had his brain knocked out.

You are also trying to fix it all in one offseason, which is unlikely.  It forces you to take stupid risks.

If you have a competent staff, your steps are:

1.  Evaluate the draft class.  If you think there is a franchise QB in the draft, you draft him.  FULL STOP.  If you don't see a QB, you look to trade back if possible.  I think that's going to be unbelievably hard.  But no matter what happens with trading back, you draft an IOL in the first round.  Whoever is high on your board.

2.  In the fourth, you draft another IOL if one is available with an appropriate grade.  You gotta come out of the draft with two IOL.  Period.

3.  In free agency you're gonna have money to sign one of:  Reddick ($14 mil valuation) or Gilmore ($13 mil)

4.  Consider signing DJax if  A) You do NOT sign Gilmore and B) he accepts something reasonable (around $5 mil)  Otherwise, roll with what you have at CB.

5.  Try to sign Laken Tomlinson around $8 - $9 per season.

6.  If you don't draft a QB, sign someone like Mariota or Brissett and don't expect him to be the answer.  He's just there so you don't have to start Sam Darnold.  Or PJ Walker.  God.

That's it.  That's all you can realistically expect in one offseason.

Where is all this cap space coming from? And why would anyone pay that much for Reddick and Gilmore?

We are not going to the playoffs with Sam Darnold at QB, even if we do manage to draft a hall of fame LT. This years O-line free agency class is surprisingly decent, I would fix O-line through free agency. I think one underrated scenario is trading picks for Russell Wilson. There is a Fitt connection and Wilson played ball at NC State. I know Wilson hasn't said we were one of his top destinations and he can veto but can you imagine our offense weapons with Wilson at QB? Any QB would want to play with CMC, we have decent WR, just need an O-line. We have a top 5 defense too. I believe Wilson still has many good years ahead of him and would instantly make us playoff contenders.