• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling Huddle GM’s: How would you fix our QB and O line in ONE offseason?

WarPanthers89

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

They are not drafting Linderbaum.  Rhule basically said that BC is going to be tried at center.

I CAN DREAM

But tb100 I expect the pick to be Ekwonu and I am super excited as he's up there with Evan Neal for me in terms of OT prospects. Would allow the team to have him compete with Christensen and have them play LT/LG together whoever ends up where. They seem to want Elflein to be the center, and with Deonte's recent comments about learning how to play center + Cameron Erving even being able to play if necessary, I'd go Ekwonu.

But if they trade down and Linderbaum is still there... 👀

Ekwonu/Christensen/Elflein/Long/Moton sounds like a stonewall of an OL even if Elflein is the weak link.

Edited by Icege

2 minutes ago, Icege said:

I CAN DREAM

But tb100 I expect the pick to be Ekwonu and I am super excited as he's up there with Evan Neal for me in terms of OT prospects. Would allow the team to have him compete with Christensen and have them play LT/LG together whoever ends up where. They seem to want Elflein to be the center, and with Deonte's recent comments about learning how to play center + Cameron Erving even being able to play if necessary, I'd go Ekwonu.

But if they trade down and Linderbaum is still there... 👀

Ekwonu/Christensen/Elflein/Long/Moton sounds like a stonewall of an OL even if Elflein is the weak link.

I would be ecstatic if we landed Ekwonu.   My gut is telling me both he and neal will be gone and Rhule and co will find something wrong with Cross and we draft one of the ends that falls.  

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I would be ecstatic if we landed Ekwonu.   My gut is telling me both he and neal will be gone and Rhule and co will find something wrong with Cross and we draft one of the ends that falls.  

If it goes Thibodeaux, Hutchinson, and Neal in the top 3 then I can see Ekwonu going to New York whether it be as a Jet or as a Giant to play RT since both have LTs. There's also always the chance of a team feeling like they need to move up to take their top rated QB, so hopefully that happens and we see Ekwonu get pushed down.

Otherwise, fingers crossed for a trade down where Tyler Linderbaum and/or Charles Cross are on the board still.

Easy answer is:

You can’t fix both. 

Not sure about y’all, but I’m a little tired of trading picks / overpaying some 3rd tier QB. I’d be content with drafting a long term center and a guard, playing Brady at LT, move Erving to LG, and playing Deonte Brown at RG. If we could trade Robby Anderson for a 5th I’d do it just to save money as well. He showed his true colors this year and they are poopy brown. 

Now the part that’s hard to swallow. We gotta just roll with Darnold or Cam next year and save our first pick in 2023 to draft a QB or sign a big name free agent. There just isn’t anyone I’d get excited about drafting in this class and I certainly don’t want to trade more picks for Wilson. Maybe we could sign someone like Minshew to compete but won’t break the bank? Or just resign Cam and roll with it.

Regardless, don’t expect to go to the playoffs. More of a long term plan of building a foundation to build the offense on.

20 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Okay Huddlers:

The time has come for you play pretend. Imagine overnight you gain 75 pounds, snort some coke, sweat through your smock, and sell some used cars to become our fearless DBO king Rhule. You have one job….to fix the teams O line and QB in one offseason to save your job. What would you do in order to fix the disaster we currently have on offense? 

QB: Sam / high-floor veteran (Dalton is my personal favorite, but Cam and Brissett also fit the bill) ~$6M of cap space used

Simply put, unless there is a guy worth taking at #6, I don't think we see a lot here. You aren't "solving" the QB issue this offseason barring spending a LOT of draft capital. Best you can hope for is someone to be average enough that the team can get to about 9-8.

At QB the big fish likely won't move (I'm looking at you Russ and Rodgers). The biggest wildcard is D. Watson, but with the potential for missing several games (not to mention the acquisition cost) he's not a good move for a hot seat coach ... unless the QB missing games actually gets you another season . The other outside consideration would be a team looking to dump a guy for minimal return later in the process like we did with Teddy. I don't think this is very likely since we would once again be spending draft capital on a guy that isn't projected to be the long-term solution; Possibilities include: J. Garoppolo, K. Cousins, D. Lock, D. Jones, B. Mayfield, D. Carr, J. Goff, M. Ryan, G. Minshew.

OL: There are two major paths here based on whether we are taking Best OT at #6 or trading down for an extra pick in day 2. In either case the team will need to sign top FAs before the draft. Based on where we pick and the existence of Brady C. on the roster I don't think we see a FA LT.

Before moves
LT: Brady / Erving
LG: M. Jordan
C : Elflein/ Tecklenburg
RG: D. Daley / D. Brown
RT: T-mo

I'd focusing on grabbing 1 or 2 high-end IOL in FA (however I'm not how many will actually make it to FA). I'll project G Laken Tomlinson here for ~$9M AAV. That leaves the team with ~$13M in cap space for re-signings before any wizardry.

After FA

LG: L. Tomlinson / M. Jordan
RG: D. Daley / D. Brown
RT: T-mo

Draft Scenario #1, LT @ #6

LT: #6 / Erving
RG: Brady / D. Brown
RT: T-mo/ D. Daley

Draft Scenario #2, C @ in 1st after trade-down

C Linderbaum / Tecklenburg
RG: Elflein / D. Brown
RT: T-mo/ D. Daley

Overall I prefer scenario #2 as it gives the Panthers an almost can't miss prospect and Fitterer more picks to work with.

Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Flames 1

21 hours ago, SCO96 said:

I discussed this in an earlier post, but I'll jump in.

Keep Brady at LT.

Draft Linderbaum at CENTER with our 6th pick.

Start Deonte at RG.

Moton is already a fixture at RT.

Draft the best G on the board in the 4th round.

Now, if we could trade down in the first and still get Linderbaum, then I'd draft the best guard on the board with our acquired pick, probably a 2nd or 3rd.

This would address all the spots and it wouldn't cost us a lot money. We could use the available money to retain our FA' or acquire some.

Of course if Brady and Deonte don't pan out, we'll be screwed 

Something like this with trade backs…

image.thumb.jpeg.72236b138b70aaa0a02681870f0db1c1.jpeg

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

They are not drafting Linderbaum.  Rhule basically said that BC is going to be tried at center.

It's Deonte Brown they want to try at Center.

"Brown also knows that as he competes for playing time, versatility can only help him. He said he wants to spend some time this offseason learning to play center as well."

https://www.panthers.com/news/brady-christensen-deonte-brown-working-for-future-roles

4 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

It's Deonte Brown they want to try at Center.

"Brown also knows that as he competes for playing time, versatility can only help him. He said he wants to spend some time this offseason learning to play center as well."

https://www.panthers.com/news/brady-christensen-deonte-brown-working-for-future-roles

I understand the need to have versatile lineman on the roster for depth and injury reasons. But, those are the type of guys you need to have on the team primarily as backups. Someone goes down, use a versatile lineman to keep things together. Your starters need to be above average at all 5 line spots. An offensive line is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Rhule's who mindset is strange. He drafts a LT with the intention of turning him into a LG. If you wanted a LG in the 3rd round then you should have drafted one.

Deonte Brown is a RG who supposedly couldn't see the field because of conditioning issues. Rhule is now saying that he may be moved to Center, a position where he may end up playing more snaps than any other position on the line. If you wanted a center you should of drafted a center in round 2. Creed Humphrey was the best center in the draft and he came off the board minutes after we picked Terrace Marshall Jr, a receiver we really didn't need based on his lack of production and playing time this past season.

If Deonte to become a great center, then I'd be ecstatic. But, what is he  going to do at RG? I don't think we have the answer on the roster. And, Carolina's brilliant trade strategies have left short of draft choices. I just have a bad feeling that we're just going to get more of the same come draft time. 

15 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I understand the need to have versatile lineman on the roster for depth and injury reasons. But, those are the type of guys you need to have on the team primarily as backups. Someone goes down, use a versatile lineman to keep things together. Your starters need to be above average at all 5 line spots. An offensive line is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Rhule's who mindset is strange. He drafts a LT with the intention of turning him into a LG. If you wanted a LG in the 3rd round then you should have drafted one.

Deonte Brown is a RG who supposedly couldn't see the field because of conditioning issues. Rhule is now saying that he may be moved to Center, a position where he may end up playing more snaps than any other position on the line. If you wanted a center you should of drafted a center in round 2. Creed Humphrey was the best center in the draft and he came off the board minutes after we picked Terrace Marshall Jr, a receiver we really didn't need based on his lack of production and playing time this past season.

If Deonte to become a great center, then I'd be ecstatic. But, what is he  going to do at RG? I don't think we have the answer on the roster. And, Carolina's brilliant trade strategies have left short of draft choices. I just have a bad feeling that we're just going to get more of the same come draft time. 

I never said it was a good idea to turn Deonte Brown into a Center.  I think it's incredibly dumb.  But that's what the Panthers are doing apparently.

Any HS coach could tell you it's best to put a player in one spot and let him get used to it.  So I don't know why brainiac Rhule insists on moving his rookie OL around so much.  It's so detrimental to their trying to establish themselves in the NFL. 

Both Christensen and Brown should have been plunked down in their respective spots (LT and RG) and kept there ALL SEASON LONG.  

• Pie 1

Just now, BlitzMonster said:

I never said it was a good idea to turn Deonte Brown into a Center.  I think it's incredibly dumb.  But that's what the Panthers are doing apparently.

Any HS coach could tell you it's best to put a player in one spot and let him get used to it.  So I don't know why brainiac Rhule insists on moving his rookie OL around so much.  It's so detrimental to their trying to establish themselves in the NFL. 

Both Christensen and Brown should have been plunked down in their respective spots (LT and RG) and kept there ALL SEASON LONG.  

He said today that Brady can play all positions including center.  Said if we draft a LT then he could move to RG or center. 

• Pie 1

A great deal of the issues with our o-line (and really the team in general) for years has been early season injuries.  We address part of the early season injury bug by hopefully getting training camp up to Rock Hill this offseason.  The Spartanburg heat prevents the players from practicing as hard as they should be able to, so the muscles, joints, ligaments, and tendons don't get the same work during the offseason that players in a climate controlled location does.  Sounds weird but it's actually a legit problem.

Then we draft best offensive lineman available with the 6th pick.  This can truly be anyone, because every single position on the line could use either an upgrade or depth.  Move Brady to LT, get Deonte in at either guard spot.  

Trade CMC for a 2nd round pick and pray to God we strike gold with a QB in the 2nd round.

6 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

A great deal of the issues with our o-line (and really the team in general) for years has been early season injuries.  We address part of the early season injury bug by hopefully getting training camp up to Rock Hill this offseason.  The Spartanburg heat prevents the players from practicing as hard as they should be able to, so the muscles, joints, ligaments, and tendons don't get the same work during the offseason that players in a climate controlled location does.  Sounds weird but it's actually a legit problem.

Then we draft best offensive lineman available with the 6th pick.  This can truly be anyone, because every single position on the line could use either an upgrade or depth.  Move Brady to LT, get Deonte in at either guard spot.  

Trade CMC for a 2nd round pick and pray to God we strike gold with a QB in the 2nd round.

Goddamnit we are not trading CMC for fuging anything.