• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis Williams-Carolina Panthers must decide what to do with Brady Christensen. The film is telling

ladypanther

Just now, ColumbusCounty said:

If we cant sign Brown, Armstead, etc .. that makes things interesting. 

Do you trust Brady at LT enough to pass on Neal? Do you pick Neal and move Brady to LG? Or pick Linderbaum and let Brady develop? Sadly I dont think they have enough game tape of Brady playing LT here to fully come to a solid conclusion either way (and without an attribute bias).

Alot of situations for Rhule & Fitterer... I just have an extreme lack of faith in their Oline evaluation skills (Rhule atleast).

I'm not certain I trust Neal at LT. I think I might take Cross and/or the NCSU kid over him. But honestly I haven't watched a ton of any if them. We've needed a LT for the majority of the past 12 years but until we get a QB and a HC, not much is going to excite me. Put prime Jonathan Ogden on the field next year with Darnold at QB and Rhule and whatever scrub he puts at OC on the sidelines and we're still picking top 5.

If we had a new coach and they liked a QB in this draft, I’d be all for taking one at 6 or back a few spots. Since our coach is a lame duck coach who can’t develop talent, I’m leaning towards just staying put and drafting a NFL ready OL. Let shitty Sam start at QB and our next coach can draft Young/Stroud next year and have a good young OL core to protect him. Hopefully Rhule is handcuffed this year and can’t use next year’s cap or assets this year to give our new guy a lot of space to work with. 

Just now, mc52beast said:

Brady could probably become a very reliable LT, but he’s no way going to be as good as the guys we could draft at 6. Slide the guy inside, let him backup LT.

Plan B could be play the rookie at LG and BC at LT. If BC is solid and the rookie is the real deal we could trade BC like the Ravens did with Brown and slide our rookie over to LT the next year, 

1 hour ago, Castavar said:

Stick him at LT. Trade down and draft Linderbaum. Start Deonte Brown. Just like that our line looks competent.

This is my favorite scenario currently I think. 

We get a year to look at BC at LT with what could be our future line and actually judge his ability to man the position.  If he struggles, cool he's an OG with backup LT potential.  All the while, our cap is in much better shape to sign a new LT to play with our rookie QB.  I won't complain with any OL in the 1st, but Linderbaum is my current favorite to help give the middle of our line some stability for the next decade. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree. And if Christensen is your LT, I think #6 is down to two choices. QB or auction block. Take a QB or trade down.

You DO NOT take a QB with this offensive line unless you have the 1st or 2nd pick. You go offensive line all three days of the draft this year, use Darnold and hope he either develops or then you know for sure to draft someone for 2023, a much deeper class.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

This is my favorite scenario currently I think. 

We get a year to look at BC at LT with what could be our future line and actually judge his ability to man the position.  If he struggles, cool he's an OG with backup LT potential.  All the while, our cap is in much better shape to sign a new LT to play with our rookie QB.  I won't complain with any OL in the 1st, but Linderbaum is my current favorite to help give the middle of our line some stability for the next decade. 

Agreed. I feel this scenario just gives us more flexibility. It lets us recoup some draft picks, let's us get a HUGE upgrade for the interior line, and also let's us evaluate the youngins in a lame duck year. Win win win.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree. And if Christensen is your LT, I think #6 is down to two choices. QB or auction block. Take a QB or trade down.

There’s no way in hell I’m taking any of these qbs at six. Hardly know are showing up on any of the mock drafts, that would be a huge mistake

• Beer 2

Brady is our new Travelle Wharton--play him at LG and let him backup LT.  Hopefully, Brown will be ready to play RG.  Sign a C in free agency, draft a T (and if you want to trade down, you can--if you miss the T, you still have BC--it allows you to be a bit aggressive in the draft.)

33 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

You DO NOT take a QB with this offensive line unless you have the 1st or 2nd pick. You go offensive line all three days of the draft this year, use Darnold and hope he either develops or then you know for sure to draft someone for 2023, a much deeper class.

Wrong.  First round QB's are a coin flip, statistically speaking.  Whether it's pick 1 or pick 32.

The only thing that matters in drafting a QB is whether your scouts and staff believe you've identified a franchise QB.  If that guy is available at your pick, and you don't have one, you draft the QB.  It all comes down to your evaluation.

If there isn't a franchise guy (according to your evaluation) that's your cue to pick other guys.

• Pie 1

I don't know if BC is a LT of the future or not. He looked better than anything we've fielded in a while. He didn't look the part as a guard. Trading down is going to prove difficult I think. With the 2 picks above and below us both identical teams, our pick has very little advantage and without it being a QB class, this isn't a very trade desirable scenario for us. I hate to say it but I think if we could trade down, at best it could maybe be for a pick in the 20s and a late 2nd or a 3rd and maybe a 6th and that's it. This just isn't the year for teams wanting to spend capital to move up to our spot at least. 

That said, I think we roll with BC at LT, Moton at RT, Brown at RG, Elfein at C. If we can trade back and grab Linderbaum, great. If not, I don't really know. Rhule screwed the pooch so badly this season that he left the offseason positions with far too many questions and very few answers. 

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

Wrong.  First round QB's are a coin flip, statistically speaking.  Whether it's pick 1 or pick 32.

The only thing that matters in drafting a QB is whether your scouts and staff believe you've identified a franchise QB.  If that guy is available at your pick, and you don't have one, you draft the QB.  It all comes down to your evaluation.

If there isn't a franchise guy (according to your evaluation) that's your cue to pick other guys.

I think the dolphins would flip Jake Long for Matt Ryan all day.