• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis Williams-Carolina Panthers must decide what to do with Brady Christensen. The film is telling

ladypanther

Matt Rhule will be like….look, he doesn’t have the ceiling to be a Jonathan Ogden.  Therefore I’m going to find a homeless man and give him the LT job.  Deonte Brown is going to do punt returns.  While he impressed you schmucks he will never achieve the elite G play I want.  So I’m going to have Robby Anderson play G.  

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

One of my biggest "oh man how did this happen" situations is that 2 of the more coveted LTs still on the younger/mid career level are Dave Bakhtiari and Dion Dawkins.  Both HEAVILY considered that OG/T mid-round fringe type who eventually excelled because the league has changed a bit defensively and needs flanking each o-line. 

McDermott knew we wanted Dawkins, traded up for him one spot ahead of us in his first draft.  We landed Moton.  Earlier on in our times, Hurney drafted *yack...Edmund Kugzilla and the VERY next pick was Dave Bakhtiari. 

Those are my 2 biggest OL miss outs we've had, I would say even bigger than this whole 2020 Wirfs or 2021 Slater convos.  We ended up with long term potential starters so its not as detrimental as getting fleeced.

• Pie 1

But speaking to that both Bak and Dawkins were these OG/Ts that people didn't think would translate to LT.  And they did.  They're also such obvious examples of why many GMs and HCs aren't doing this strict measurables or out standard we apparently hold.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Castavar said:

Stick him at LT. Trade down and draft Linderbaum. Start Deonte Brown. Just like that our line looks competent.

If we'd taken Creed in the 2nd and Trey Smith in the 6th we'd be done already...Who knows if any would have actually got playing time under Rhule though

8 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

If we'd taken Creed in the 2nd and Trey Smith in the 6th we'd be done already...Who knows if any would have actually got playing time under Rhule though

Not to mention Sam Cosmi, Jackson Carman (has been awesome), or Dillon Radunz.  Plenty of OL talent we traded back (hopefully still targeting) and ended with Terrace Marshall & Tremble with our compensation.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

NFL S&C is a lot different than BYU. Well, it is in most NFL organizations. We probably have some jackass from Temple running ours.

Gonna have to disagree with you here.

S&C at major college programs these days is easily at NFL level.  Paying an elite S&C coach and assistants to run your S&C program is a minor budget issue compared to other budgetary aspects of a program.  The expensive part is building an elite S&C facility as well as an accompanying dietary facility and *most* elite programs are willing to do that.  Bama, UGA, Auburn, and BYU (etc.) are paying the money to train their athletes in S&C, I assure you.  Akron, Wyoming, and Buffalo (etc.)?  Probably not.

Now, as always, there are always differences in S&C philosophies.  Some S&C coaches love to concentrate on lower-body (movement, quickness) for OL players.  Others prefer upper-body (arms, reach, push-back).  It all depends on the philosophy of the HC who hires them.

But, trust me, elite college programs provide their athletes with elite S&C.

The only thing limiting them is the time they are allowed to directly train.  NCAA rules limit the amount of direct coaching and training all college athletes receive.  I know there are NFL/NFLPA limits on the amounts of time that athletes at the NFL limit are in "camp" and are "trained", but I can't say for sure if that applies to their time in S&C training though.  If it does, then I gotta say that there probably isn't a helluva lot of difference between the two.

• Pie 1

Brady is NOT a fuging guard period. He does not have the power in his ass to handle DTs every snap. 

He needs to remain at LT or swing tackle off the bench. Let him get used to different stunts and zone blitzes on the edge because that was for sure his biggest problem. The guy could fight pretty good heads up. Not a world beater, but he fought. 

2 hours ago, Swaggasaurus said:

Brady is NOT a fuging guard period. He does not have the power in his ass to handle DTs every snap. 

I have no idea why some fuggers have the fugged up logic that "Oh, my gosh, he can't play tackle? MAKE HIM A GUARD!"

To play OG at the highest level requires a physical mentality and physicality over and above that which it takes to play OT.  Yeah, OT has its *own* requirements when it comes to mentality and physicality, but those are totally DIFFERENT than those it takes to play OL in the interior.

I laughed for a few year at those who, after their Hurney dreams failed at Greg Little being the newest bestest OT for the Carolina Panthers, decided that they could cover for their idiocy by begging that Greg Little play OG.

LOL!

Greg Little was NEVER of a mental state for the physicality of OG.  And its very likely a fact (for differing reasons) that BC isn't either.

He's an OT... or he's fugging not.

STOP pretending that the Rhule thinking that OL are swappable in whatever positions is true.

ITS NOT.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, davos said:

Not to mention Sam Cosmi, Jackson Carman (has been awesome), or Dillon Radunz.  Plenty of OL talent we traded back (hopefully still targeting) and ended with Terrace Marshall & Tremble with our compensation.

My favorite lineman from last draft.  Creed, Carman, and Trey.   Trey at left guard, Creed in middle  and Carman at right and we would fielded a young improved oline.  Cam Erving would still be a weak link but upgrading him this draft would be a option. Instead we need an entire oline basically.  

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not certain I trust Neal at LT. I think I might take Cross and/or the NCSU kid over him. But honestly I haven't watched a ton of any if them. We've needed a LT for the majority of the past 12 years but until we get a QB and a HC, not much is going to excite me. Put prime Jonathan Ogden on the field next year with Darnold at QB and Rhule and whatever scrub he puts at OC on the sidelines and we're still picking top 5.

I would take Neal or Ekwonu. The thing about Ekwonu is he’s built like and quick enough to be an elite LT. But he has the mean streak of an OG. 

So…you literally could put him or Christensen at Tackle and be fine. If Christensen comes back to camp and looks like he can be a pro bowl left tackle then it’s not like you’ll waste Neal or Ekwonu. Either of those guys is going to the pro bowl as a guard and we’ve got our Quenton Nelson setting the stage for a 2000 yard rushing offense. As long as you don’t pass on those guys when they’re there then you will win the draft. 

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

NFL S&C is a lot different than BYU. Well, it is in most NFL organizations. We probably have some jackass from Temple running ours.

I realize this statement was made to be one part true and then one part funny but you are so damn correct and I would not doubt if some Temple guy is in charge of our S&C. God this is sad and scary.

13 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

We aren’t winning anything next year. We don’t need an “immediate starter” but honestly half of them would be playing better than Sam by the end if they year. 

That is saying a whole lot though as I feel like we could add most NFL teams second option at QB to start for us and they would be playing better than Sam by the first game.