• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting back into the top 100 of the draft: A trade scenario analysis

Ricky Spanish

In players that we could move I think CMC would still garner some nice picks.  Maybe not a first rounder but possibly a 2nd and 3rd.  This all depends on whether we think Hubbard can carry the load.  He did well for a rookie and as much as I like CMC this is the season to do it.   Denver would lick their chops to get McCaffery 2.0 in Denver.  He definitely has trade value.

The only other position I would consider is WR.  Many have written Marshall off.  I think he has the potential to be a stud.  If I had the choice I would trade Anderson.  Anderson didn't have the impact he had in 2020 but can fill the deep threat role many teams covet.

I see us trading down as well.  The combine and the senior bowl will bring some cream to the top and someone will make us an offer.   Tepper has made it clear that we will not lose in a trade (points wise)   If we could somehow add a 2nd along with a latter round 1st.  I think we'd be in business.

Best case we trade CMC for a 2nd and 4th and get a 3rd for Anderson, we add a lower 1st rounder and add a 2nd.   We'd have 1st, 2 (2nd) a 3rd and 2 (4th) plus our lower round picks..

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

In players that we could move I think CMC would still garner some nice picks.  Maybe not a first rounder but possibly a 2nd and 3rd.  This all depends on whether we think Hubbard can carry the load.  He did well for a rookie and as much as I like CMC this is the season to do it.   Denver would lick their chops to get McCaffery 2.0 in Denver.  He definitely has trade value.

The only other position I would consider is WR.  Many have written Marshall off.  I think he has the potential to be a stud.  If I had the choice I would trade Anderson.  Anderson didn't have the impact he had in 2020 but can fill the deep threat role many teams covet.

I see us trading down as well.  The combine and the senior bowl will bring some cream to the top and someone will make us an offer.   Tepper has made it clear that we will not lose in a trade (points wise)   If we could somehow add a 2nd along with a latter round 1st.  I think we'd be in business.

Best case we trade CMC for a 2nd and 4th and get a 3rd for Anderson, we add a lower 1st rounder and add a 2nd.   We'd have 1st, 2 (2nd) a 3rd and 2 (4th) plus our lower round picks..

Jesus fuging Christ you guys are absolutely killing me.  There is no way on Gods green Earth we are trading CMac for multiple reasons.  Its not happening, its been discussed and the reasons are posted all over this message board.  He is not getting traded.  Stop this stupid fuging nonsense

From Person:

What do you think our draft strategy is considering the lack of top-100 picks? Trade back and get a second or third round or settle for just a top-10 pick? I think ideal would be trade back to mid-round and Cross is still available, then maybe QB second round. — Sean F.

A few of you asked about the possibility of trading back, including Logan T., who deserves a mention here since he was the first to jump in with a question after we opened up the mailbag Thursday morning.

After Fitterer was hired last year, he explained his philosophy on draft trades, which he brought from Seattle after his 20 years there. The Seahawks believed that if they were outside the first 18 picks or so, they could trade back as far as 40 and get the same caliber of player. Seattle was less inclined to move back on those rare occasions under Pete Carroll when they were picking early.

“If you’re not in the top part of the draft, we’re gonna try to acquire picks,” Fitterer said last January.

Sure enough, three months later, the Panthers stayed at No. 8 and took Jaycee Horn, then proceeded to make a flurry of trades later in the draft. All of which is to say that Fitterer figures to treat this year’s No. 6 like gold.

As mentioned above, the best plan for overhauling an overmatched offensive line would be to draft a left tackle, whether it’s NC State’s Ikem Ekwonu, Alabama’s Evan Neal or Mississippi State’s Charles Cross.

But the Panthers have several other needs — including at least one guard, a safety and a middle linebacker — and, as Sean F. noted, no other picks in the top 100 after No. 6. Their second- and fourth-round selections went to the Jets as part of the Darnold trade, and Fitterer dealt the third-round pick to Jacksonville in the Dan Arnold-for-C.J. Henderson swap.

The rest of the Panthers’ draft inventory includes a fourth, two fifths, a sixth and a seventh. It’ll take some draft-weekend magic for Fitterer to take that chicken slop and make chicken salad. It could mean moving players.

A personnel official with another NFC team said the Panthers’ top four trade chips are Christian McCaffrey, receiver D.J. Moore, defensive end Brian Burns and linebacker Shaq Thompson. And though Fitterer said he’s not looking to trade McCaffrey, he indicated he would listen to offers for everyone, the All-Pro running back included.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

A personnel official with another NFC team said the Panthers’ top four trade chips are Christian McCaffrey, receiver D.J. Moore, defensive end Brian Burns and linebacker Shaq Thompson. And though Fitterer said he’s not looking to trade McCaffrey, he indicated he would listen to offers for everyone, the All-Pro running back included.

While you rant and rave that it isn't possible Fitterer has said from day one he'd listen to any offer.   I have been an opponent of trading him but two seasons of injuries opens the door to the possibility.  Hubbard is not CMC but showed promise as a running back that could carry a significant amount of carries.  CMC is generational talent but no matter how great your skill level is, if you can't stay on the field you are a worthless asset.  If Fitterer felt he was getting a deal that would help us overall.  He'll make the trade.

Stop acting like you're a know-it-all.  YOU AIN'T.   

YOUR OPINION is we won't trade him and I'm OK with it but MY OPINION which is just as valid as yours is  IT'S Possible. 

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

While you rant and rave that it isn't possible Fitterer has said from day one he'd listen to any offer.   I have been an opponent of trading him but two seasons of injuries opens the door to the possibility.  Hubbard is not CMC but showed promise as a running back that could carry a significant amount of carries.  CMC is generational talent but no matter how great your skill level is, if you can't stay on the field you are a worthless asset.  If Fitterer felt he was getting a deal that would help us overall.  He'll make the trade.

Stop acting like you're a know-it-all.  YOU AIN'T.   

YOUR OPINION is we won't trade him and I'm OK with it but MY OPINION which is just as valid as yours is  IT'S Possible. 

Its not my opinion its just the facts.  Fitt has to say that.  The cap hit alone would cripple this team.  Its an impossibility to trade him this offseason.  Probably the same next year as the hit is still pretty heavy but more sustainable.  

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its not my opinion its just the facts.  Fitt has to say that.  The cap hit alone would cripple this team.  Its an impossibility to trade him this offseason.  Probably the same next year as the hit is still pretty heavy but more sustainable.  

GMs work all types of deals that can alleviate some of those concerns.  I am not going to argue your point on cap implications because I'm not a cap guru like many think they are.

It's a fair point. 

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

GMs work all types of deals that can alleviate some of those concerns.  I am not going to argue your point on cap implications because I'm not a cap guru like many think they are.

It's a fair point. 

Its 18 million dollars in dead cap.  Please show me a example of a team trading a player and navigating that hit. 

Oops just saw Goffs hit was 24 million so thats a first

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

But according to this we dont have the space to do it without revamping the contracts on the roster or outright cutting people.  Seems like a lot to do to just trade a player and get a pick(s)

Edited by mrcompletely11

Relevant tidbit from the Athletic mailbag thread...

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its 18 million dollars in dead cap.  Please show me a example of a team trading a player and navigating that hit.  You cant. 

So you can't offset it directly but indirectly you can.  You won't recuperate all of it but you will soft the blow with two to possibly 3 players under rookie contracts.  

True?

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

So you can't offset it directly but indirectly you can.  You won't recuperate all of it but you will soft the blow with two to possibly 3 players under rookie contracts.  

True?

I dont know what that means.  What rookies?  

Without looking at the contracts I am not sure you can free up that much money just to trade cmac.  It doesnt make sense.  And in looking at the goff trade they also sent draft capital to the lions for taking on that contract.   So we sure as hell are not doing that.

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont know what that means.  What rookies?  

Without looking at the contracts I am not sure you can free up that much money just to trade cmac.  It doesnt make sense.  And in looking at the goff trade they also sent draft capital to the lions for taking on that contract.   So we sure as hell are not doing that.

Goff was apart of a player for player swap.  If you trade CMC you are going for draft picks.  Those Rookies.  We aren't going to trade for another player we want picks.  Those two or three players won't make nearly what we are paying CMC.  Those players help with our overall Cap space.  How much I don't know but like I said, indirectly it would help.

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Goff was apart of a player for player swap.  If you trade CMC you are going for draft picks.  Those Rookies.  We aren't going to trade for another player we want picks.  Those two or three players won't make nearly what we are paying CMC.  Those players help with our overall Cap space.  How much I don't know but like I said, indirectly it would help.

What picks are you expecting? Three major contributors on rookie deals aren’t making up for the 18M cap hit that would hit immediately. They are already going to have a ton of players on cheap contracts and it doesn’t help if they don’t contribute immediately. 

Sorry but you are overvaluing a lot of these players. Burns and DJ Moore are  worth a first yes but that’s about it.

Derrick Brown hasn’t played well enough to get a first, we would be lucky to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He’s not shown improvement and he’s been average at best.

Reddick is a one trick pony. There is a reason why Carolina was able to sign him cheap after a 12 sack season. He’s under sized and not good at anything else. I think we would be lucky to get a mid round pick for him. I mean he had about the same numbers as last year, you honestly think that improves anything?

Roby Anderson had an awful year, we would be lucky to get a mid round pick for him because of his contract.