• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

OC Joe Brady...

musicman

The thing about coaching in the NFL is that no matter how good you are, the league catches up with you.

That means the ability ycreate a great scheme isn't enough. You have to be able to adapt and adjust your scheme like a chessmaster.

Lots of guys wind up being one year wonders because they can't keep up.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, musicman said:

Looking at how good Burrow was with Chase and knowing all the other top players on that team, maybe Brady had nothing to do with their success. Same with many OCs out there. Having great players is a big part of their success. A truly great OC can make any group of players and adapt his playbook and still win. 

Mmmmm. Sounds like the coaching skill set that Rhule promoted himself to Tepper as being. 

Coaches and players are a symbiotic relationship.  I think the player side is somewhat more important.  Good players can more easily carry a bad coach than a good coach can carry a bad player.  Ideally you have both sides.

Consider that LSU had all those studs on the roster the year before Joe Brady showed up, and yet Burrow was a 58% passer with 16 TD's to 5 INT's.  Brady arrives, Burrow becomes a 75% passer with 60 TD's and 6 INT's.  Same players, add Joe Brady, magic.

I think we had a good coach in Brady.  I'm not sure he was ready to be an NFL coordinator.  I suspect that when we look again in 10 years, Brady will be a successful coach.

2 hours ago, Smittymoose said:

..... He does not seem to have a good feel for in-game play calling. 

IMO, this is what jumps out about this coaching staff and is holding us back. 

Rhule, Brady, Nixon, Meyer....and to a lesser degree, Snow. They are college coaches competing against NFL coaching staffs. After enough tape shows up for opposing teams, we have for the most part, been dead in the water. 

We cannot adjust on the fly, have been outschemed for 2 years and I cannot think of a true "signature" win from this staff. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Every starter on that LSU team that won the championship is on an active NFL roster.

It also made me think Brady may have not had a ton of say with Rhule, maybe influenced the Marshall pick but it was disappointing not getting any of that line these past few years. Cushenberry, D Lewis, or Saahdiq Charles (I really liked him)

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Brady is young and made plenty of mistakes but was probably the most promising coach on the entire staff...of course he was the one fired. 

Really???

I think it was 1 of Rhule's biggest mistakes..

Hiring a coach with little to no experience and a high profile from a one hit season..