• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

After today, everyone should understand you need a QB

AU-panther

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I'd take a 1st team All-Pro OG over a 2nd team All-Pro QB. 🤣

Quenton Nelson over say...Baker Mayfield, sure.  Especially if they grade out that way in the pre-draft process.  One is a corner stone and the other keeps you a middling franchise.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Wrong, you draft the best players, period. If at #6 there is a player rated higher than your top QB, you take that player.  Believe me there absolutely will be. QB desperation on this board reeks of a geek hanging out after school to watch cheerleading practice from the bleachers by himself.  It's just sad.

No.  Incorrect thinking.

It's not a question of desperation.  It's a question of evaluation.

The first question is trust.  Do you trust your scouts?  If the answer is no, get new scouts.  Assuming your organization is functioning in a responsible way, the answer should be "Yes, we trust our scouts".  Again, I'm commenting at a philosophical level here.  I'm not making any commentary on the Panthers organization.

Once you've established that you trust your scouts, you simply ask them the question:  "Do you see a clear franchise QB in this draft?"  If your scouts say "Yes, we do" then there is absolutely no excuse for not drafting the guy.  It doesn't matter what pick number you may have.  If your scouts tell you a guy is a franchise QB, if your team doesn't have one, and that guy is available when your team is on the clock, you draft that guy.

It's when your scouts say "No, we don't see a clear franchise QB" that you start to look at other things.  The point being that there should be NO PLAYER on your draft board rated higher than a clear franchise QB.  Ever.  There is no more valuable player in the NFL than a franchise QB.  It's not even close.

You can't think of a franchise QB like any other player, because he's not.  There is no such thing as a "draft ranking" for a franchise QB.  Franchise QB's exist on a board all their own.  If you have a player on your franchise QB board, you draft him.  Simple as that.  College QB's who are not clear franchise guys (according to your scouts) can certainly go on the "normal" board.  Franchise guys are different gravy.

13 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The bears were universally mocked for moving up for Mitch.  I will try and find the article where the niners were openly laughing at that pick

Watson and mahomes were good prospects with insane physical skills

If they were that highly rated they wouldn't have made it to pick 10.  You are looking at it with hindsight.

Their fan bases were probably saying the same thing you are, "lets wait until a loaded class with a can't miss prospect."

2 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

In the long term especially with the rookie salary cap it’s cheaper to use your first rd. picks at QBs vs what we have done with trading picks and wasting salary cap on Teddy and Darnold.

People here only hated the darnold trade once they realized it cost us draft picks for nothing. 

it was heralded at the time because we “didn’t have to use a 1st on a QB.”

as if there is anything more worthy of a 1st round selection.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

This next season is fuged regardless. I said if I had to pick a qb at six it would be Malik with the plan to get a new staff to groom him. If rhule is longterm here no way would I want him grooming Malik. 

Sure but Willis is the rawest of the raw.   So I doubt rhule wants to roll the dice on picking someone thats not even going to play.  ANd if that dumb motherfuger tries to start willis next year behind our line then holy hell he is stupid

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

A franchise QB on a rookie contract is the biggest cheat code in today's NFL.

Which makes me question why this organization doesn’t use it. I know as a fan I know very little compared to professionals but how do you go Teddy and Darnold when we have been picking in the top 10 for the last two years?

After what the Cards did it showed me you should never be married to any QB unless he shows you he is blue chip. Screw feelings this is a business in the end of the day. 

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

If they were that highly rated they wouldn't have made it to pick 10.  You are looking at it with hindsight.

Their fan bases were probably saying the same thing you are, "lets wait until a loaded class with a can't miss prospect."

do you see any guys in this draft with the skill set of watson or mahomes?

1 minute ago, Growl said:

People here only hated the darnold trade once they realized it cost us draft picks for nothing. 

This is exactly - EXACTLY! - the case.

There is no player more valuable than a franchise QB.  There is nothing more valuable.  Look at what was being talked about as the cost for Deshaun Watson before his legal issues came to light.  Just to have a conversation the cost was three first round picks!

1 minute ago, firefox1234 said:

Which makes me question why this organization doesn’t use it. I know as a fan I know very little compared to professionals but how do you go Teddy and Darnold when we have been picking in the top 10 for the last two years?

After what the Cards did it showed me you should never be married to any QB unless he shows you he is blue chip. Screw feelings this is a business in the end of the day. 

Because they are fuging stupid. 

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

Exactly. What is easier to get rid of? A QB on a rookie deal or the FA QB you signed for 20m to 30m a year? It’s like this franchise purposely deleted common sense from their memory banks. I’m surprised we even lucked out into drafting Cam

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

Because while these guys were talking about a rebuild and a five year plan their actions showed that they thought they could create a very fast turnaround.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

do you see any guys in this draft with the skill set of watson or mahomes?

Like I said, can't miss QBs don't fall to pick 10 in the league.  

There is more to a QBs skill set than running fast or throwing the ball far.

You are probably the type of fan who thought Burrow would be a bust because his "ceiling" was too low.

6 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

Exactly. What is easier to get rid of? A QB on a rookie deal or the FA QB you signed for 20m to 30m a year? It’s like this franchise purposely deleted common sense from their memory banks. I’m surprised we even lucked out into drafting Cam

Honestly the cam selection wasn’t luck (he went back to school)

ill give Marty his due, he made that pick despite the world telling him not to because the media was telling him there’s no QB worth a 1st overall pick and the fanbase was telling him “games are won in the trenches” and to take the SURE THING in marcel dareus

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 1