• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

After today, everyone should understand you need a QB

AU-panther

33 minutes ago, Icege said:

No thanks.

We already lived through having a franchise QB without an OL and/or defense. When the team had all 3, they went 15-1 and to the Super Bowl. With just the OL, Cam set records his first two seasons.

I'd rather have a competent offensive line with an NFL-quality OC in place before finding any long-term solution at QB.

I'd also rather have a QB that isn't Sam Darnold starting for the Panthers next season.

I just don't think that bringing in a top QB prospect just to change coaching staffs + coordinators the following season does anything to set them up for success. Unless, of course, you want to keep Rhule and understand that the only way he is retained is if he gets lucky on a QB.

So we would have been better with a great O-line and Clausen as a QB?

The QB is the most important and hardest piece to find, this idea of waiting until the rest of the team is great and then you can just add a franchise QB when it is convenient is rather risky.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much.

Do you need a good / great / franchise / whatever quarterback? Yeah.

But does picking a potential one of those automatically make you a great team?

No.

If you believe it does, lemme introduce you to the 2021 Chicago Bears.

(and that's just one example among many)

nobody is saying picking one automatically makes you great, but historically the best way to find a franchise QB is to draft one, and draft one early, and develop him, which we haven't done.  We keep looking for shortcuts.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The talk about Burrow lacking elite traits coming out of LSU baffled the hell out of me. Did they not watch him throw dimes 40+ yards down the field on the move? That's elite traits.

Like, people really actually watched video game poo like this

BrokenBitterBabirusa-max-1mb.gif

and were like *yawn* "lacks elite traits" 😂

Yeah but you also thought Herbert was trash....

• Beer 1

Why not both.  Why can't we build the oline and take a QB?   We need to be careful with our level of desperation for a QB.  Philly is getting manhandled right now.  It does not look like the Jalen Hurts experiment has worked. Then we have the Justin Fields gamble two future first round picks and an uneven season by the rookie is looking like snake eyes.  Or the prior mistake the same bears made with Tribisky.  How bout Daniel Jones who is on his way out of new York?  As Trey Lance and Jordan Love warm benches they are learning but NO return on investment yet. 

TLDR the try and try again desperation move for QB can handicap a team. The oline is terrible.  A second tier QB is headed for disaster if the oline is not addressed.  

Edited by mickeye76
Misspell

Priority is a QB...watching these playoff teams...lines don't hold off D for 3-4 seconds for qb to find someone open...i think after we go 0-17..1-16 we'll be able to get the one we want...but...thats 2 years off...provided these mufkers dont fk these drafts up...

Edited by Pimpdaddy

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but you also thought Herbert was trash....

LG has got too much flack about Herbert.

There were a lot of people who had their doubts about him.  He was the typical guy taht looked the part and had some physical traits, but he had accuracy issues in college.  Also he played terrible in some big games.

Everyone tried to say I told you so after the fact.

9 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

LG has got too much flack about Herbert.

There were a lot of people who had their doubts about him.  He was the typical guy taht looked the part and had some physical traits, but he had accuracy issues in college.  Also he played terrible in some big games.

Everyone tried to say I told you so after the fact.

I am just teasing him because he was so ardently anti-Herbert. I was a huge Herbert fan.

I was also not a big Burrow fan. I saw crazy intangibles but not a lot of elite traits. 

Rhule will take a QB as it's the only thing that's going to save his job, or maybe he won't because he's too dumb to realize it.

Right now Rhule is hated by the Panthers fanbase, more than any coach I can recall. We have people chanting "FIRE MATT RHULE" at Charlotte Hornets games. As the season begins, and progresses, people will become more heated towards Rhule, and a 5-8 win season isn't going to save him. Right now a 5-8 win season would be a rosey projection considering the players that will be lost in free agency, and the many holes in the roster.

So what can save Matt Rhule? A fresh quarterback that plays marginally well. Bringing in someone that could be the new face of the franchise.

If Matt Rhule found a quarterback that played moderately well, and gave fans something to cheer for, he would probably get another chance. Right now fans are already on, or can't wait to jump onto the tank. If we loose any of the first few games that tank is going to be overflowing, and fan pressure on Tepper to fire Rhule will be overwhelming.

However, if we have a rookie QB that has played okay, or looks like he has a chance, there's going to be a lot of fans on the fence. I mean there's always that contigent of diehard fans that see the front office as doing no wrong. These fans on the fence could save Matt Rhule. 

And if he somehow picks a great quarterback. Boom. It's like he was just hired.