• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

After today, everyone should understand you need a QB

AU-panther

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

You think drafting a good quarterback would be enough to turn this Panthers team around?

Yeah...Good luck with that.

It's why all my hope is gone. We're trash as long as Rhule is here and I've lost all faith in Tepper being able to put together a competent football organization and he seems to have realized that himself. We look like we're the new Bengals. 😞

27 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

nobody is saying picking one automatically makes you great, but historically the best way to find a franchise QB is to draft one, and draft one early, and develop him, which we haven't done.  We keep looking for shortcuts.

Will Grier is the only QB we've drafted since Cam, most teams generally pick one up every 2-3 years. I'd rather trust this staffs dumb luck over trying to fix other peoples cast offs

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You think drafting a good quarterback would be enough to turn this Panthers team around?

Yeah...Good luck with that.

For starters, obviously yes, strong QB play turns teams into instant contenders. This is a proven reality many times over. Secondly, to willfully miss the reality that the draft doesn’t center around this year but the next 10 years is an indictment on your tiny perspective.

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2

Just now, Borat said:

Tbh a lot of posts like this on this board are really just tacit defense of (the current version of) Cam. 

With Mr Scot its more a resentment of the way the game has changed. Winning a certain way is just as important to him as winning.

Nobody here misses the way the game was more than me but I’m not out to prove it should or can still be done a certain way.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

There have only been 4 "cant miss" guys that I can remember that everyone was in consensus for.  Elway, manning, Luck and trevor

Ironically, neither of the first three were the best QB’S of their respective eras.

Elway was a great QB, but he wasn’t he best QB of the 1980s or 1990s. You can make an argument that he wasn’t the best QB in the class of 1983 (Jim Kelly and Dan Marino were just as good). That era was dominated Montana and Aikman. Elway was physically more talented than both, but they had much stronger teams around them, If not for Terrell Davis leading the way with a devastating running game in 1997-1998, Elway probably would have retired without a ring. He was 0-3 in superbowls until the last 2 years of his career. Each loss was worse than the one that preceded it.

Manning was a great QB and great for the NFL. He’s not the most heralded QB of his era. Tom Brady was/is. Even Drew Brees deserves honorable mention. Brees beat Manning head to head in a Super Bowl, and statistically he was better than Manning and Brady from 2009-2013 a period in which neither won a title.

Andrew Luck had to retire early because of chronic injuries. Why was he hurt so much? He played behind a crappy Oline for most of his career. By the time they got the line fixed in Indy, Luck’s body had broken down. Does this sound familiar. Poor lines have hurt our QBs too ( Cam after the 2017 season …and even Darnold this year). And, even when he played, other QBs in the league was just as good (Manning, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Russel Wilson, etc)

Trevor’s just starting his NFL journey, but if history repeats itself, there’s a strong chance that he won’t be remembered as the best QB of his era either

Edited by SCO96

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

With Mr Scot its more a resentment of the way the game has changed. Winning a certain way is just as important to him as winning.

Nobody here misses the way the game was more than me but I’m not out to prove it should or can still be done a certain way.

I think it's fair to say most of us here would love to see the game played the way it used to be, with a NFL caliber HC.

2 hours ago, Growl said:

What does this mean?

do people who say stuff like this really not realize how small it makes their perspective look?

there is a world and an offseason and offseasons beyond just what the panthers do with this one singular pick 

with this pick however, you have to abide by the mechanics and realities of the draft and how the league operates

It means exactly what it says. We had a franchise QB in Cam Newton. The first two season with that franchise QB, he had an OL and set records across the league during his first two seasons. However, a leaky defense prevented the team from being able to make it to the postseason. In 2013, the defense is strong and the OL is solid (Gross-Wharton-Kalil-Scott-Bell) but has question marks on the right side. The team makes the playoffs but are promptly eliminated by the 49ers. They make the playoffs again in 2014 but mainly because the rest of the NFC South blows. The OL? Bell-Scott-Kalil-Turner-Jones to start, but towards the end of the season it was Bell-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Remmers. They're eliminated by Seattle after beating Arizona in the wildcard. In 2015 when the team had a top 5 defense and an OL with a legit LT? 15-1 (just imagine if Williams had replaced Remmers sooner) and a Super Bowl trip.

We see the tired debate of QB vs OL every offseason. The OP lists Burrow and Allen as reasons for going QB at #6, but if you want to talk about how small somebody's perspective looks then take a look at the idea that those QBs and QBs alone are why those teams are currently advancing in the playoffs.

Hell, we just watched Mahomes lose a Super Bowl because of a subpar OL. Let's actually learn from mistakes rather than repeating them and insisting it'll be different this time.