• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quote from Mike Shanahan and why Matt Rhule isn't NFL head coaching material.

hepcat

46 minutes ago, hepcat said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/01/16/mike-shanahan-kyle-shanahan-sean-mcvay-matt-lafleur-nfl-playoffs/

Good read on Mike Shanahan and his impact on the NFL. Three of his assistants from his time in Washington are head coaches on teams in the NFC playoffs. Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, and Matt LaFleur. 

One quote really resonated with me:

I found this quote to be extremely pertinent to Matt Rhule and the current Panthers team. Two seasons in as head coach and he's fired numerous staff members, including an offensive coordinator in-season, and the team has been terrible. 

Matt Rhule had one season of NFL experience before he was hired, as assistant offensive line coach on the 2012 Giants. As Mike Shanahan said, you need to know all the positions on the field, not only so YOU can coach, but so you can tell if your staff are good coaches. 

It is clear Matt Rhule has no idea how to build an NFL caliber staff. I don't think he knows enough about all the positions on the field to do what Shanahan said - show what assistants might be a good coach and who might not. How could he? He coached in college for most of his career. And the NFL game is a few steps up from what positions require in college....

So Rhule hired a bunch of his long-time friends and colleagues to fill his staff, along with some other random coaches of varying experience, and the results have been terrible. 

A head coach on a winning NFL team should be developing coordinators who are ready to become NFL coaches. All the great NFL teams have seen this happen. Hell, even Ron Rivera's top DC Sean McDermott is one of the best head coaches in the NFL. I don't see that happening on Matt Rhule's staff. It seems more like he needs an experienced former NFL head coach on the staff to save him.

It's just depressing to think about the future of the Panthers being undermined by an unqualified coach like Matt Rhule. He's an average college head coach at best and has no business being a head coach in the NFL. 

Actually Sean McDermott was a Hurney call when Rivera couldn't get Steve Wilks as DC. Sometimes unfortunate events work out. With that said Hurney hiring any NFL HC is a bad idea. It's been rumored that he didn't want Fox or Rivera but he loved Rhule. 

• Pie 2

I recently picked up Michael Lombardi's Gridiron Genius: A Master Class in Winning Championships and Building Dynasties in the NFL and it's been a very good read.

The very beginning, he speaks about Bill Walsh and his dedication to culture first. I found that odd, as many talking heads will say that's a college thing. It also makes a comparison to chef's and how all of the coaches, players, etc are the ingredients. When folks go and hire one of those assistants in an attempt to copy the blueprint for success, they're just extracting one of the ingredients. If that "ingredient" doesn't know how to prepare and cook the dish, then you're stuck with disappointment.

Was an interesting way of putting it. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Rhule evidently doesn’t even know much about the one position he has NFL experience in.

I was surprised when I looked back and saw Rhule was only the assistant OL coach on the Giants. He’s never even been a full position coach in the NFL. Unreal this guy is the head coach of an NFL team. 

• Pie 5

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Actually Sean McDermott was a Hurney call when Rivera couldn't get Steve Wilks as DC. Sometimes unfortunate events work out. With that said Hurney hiring any NFL HC is a bad idea. It's been rumored that he didn't want Fox or Rivera but he loved Rhule. 

MCD got scapegoated in Philly after trying to replace longtime DC great Jim Johnson.

Hurny bassakwards fell into a good hire.

Even his victories are the retarded bumblings of a drug addled fool.

GAHHD I HATE THAT BASTARD

Peace Composure GIF by Desiigner

• Pie 3

$70mill purchase of Fhules Gold. 

A man who is afraid to go to the Hornets game is a coward. Is that what you teach your players? Your kids? To hide? To point fingers? The culture of cowards and finger pointers and backstabbers. Total lack of honor and discipline.

Last thing you need is a coward on your team especially not your coach. Another year of Head Coach being the top underperformer yet again with absolutely no self awareness or self accountability will make this place exactly what the NFL wanted. Stoogetown, bottom feeder bay, Teppertown.

Fix it. We deserve better like Cam said. NOW!

Nut up. Get out your checkbook and part ways NOW! Nobody has time for this foolishness.

Edited by rippadonn
  • Pie 1

14 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

I'm ready for the 2022 season to be over.

I think it would be worse if we go .500 in 2022 and we're stuck with this insane project another year.

I completely agree with the OP.   Rhule thinks the buddy buddy system will do what he did in college.  Not in this league.   The Temple, Baylor connection to include coaches and players is insulting.  We are never going to win with all those connections.  

I hope he learns but I think Tepper has enabled Rhule's project and as long has he's in control of everything.  The Panthers will be bottom dwellers.