• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2022 Panthers Mock Offseason

Jay Roosevelt

A RB? In the 2nd? 

Chubba looked fine. He is a rookie.  He progressed as the year went on….and ran behind one of the worst OLs in the NFL with the downfield pass totally disregarded by defenses.  

I don’t think you should draft a RB in the top 3 rounds.  Better investments out there.  If you have a OL and a QB….you can find a RB on the streets practically. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

A RB? In the 2nd? 

Chubba looked fine. He is a rookie.  He progressed as the year went on….and ran behind one of the worst OLs in the NFL with the downfield pass totally disregarded by defenses.  

I don’t think you should draft a RB in the top 3 rounds.  Better investments out there.  If you have a OL and a QB….you can find a RB on the streets practically. 

This. With the issues on this team, drafting a RB when we have CMC/Chubba seems like a luxury pick at a luxury position when guys off the street can do just fine.  Drafting a RB in the first couple of rounds is for teams that don't have a guy at all or are a piece or two away. We're neither of those. 

3 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I don't see any possible way we can fix both QB and the OL in one offseason other than signing two starting guards and a starting center and using our 1st rounder on a QB, which seems unlikely. Not only does Rhule seem to have a hard on for Sam Darnold, but Fitterer seemed to indicate during his press conference that drafting a QB early wasn't in the cards for us. Plus, using #6 on a QB obviously means we won't be able to trade down and recoup any of the picks lost in the Darnold/Henderson trades.

They don't; my assumption here is that we're unlikely to draft a QB whereas they might be willing to move up for someone like Kenny Pickett or Sam Howell, especially since the Giants pick right after us and could go QB after picking Evan Neal at #5.

Yes, a RB in the second round. McCaffrey can't stay healthy and while Chuba's a decent enough option, he's not exactly someone who can be a featured back long-term. So in this scenario taking one of the top RB's in the draft in the 2nd round makes plenty of sense, IMO.

Not gonna happen if any team picks a QB is gonna be us and Tepper will force it.

Also RB are not even worth a second round pick. Hubbard was better as rookie than Mccaffrey 

28 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

So we’re keeping a lot of expensive dudes and we’re rolling with Brady Christensen as the only option at LT. Sounds promising. 

Your suggestions would have us trade away our best player while crippling our cap. There aren’t a ton of promising outlooks for 2022. Fortunately, things could change quickly with our cap situation going into 2023 and, if played right this off-season, plenty of draft capital + comp picks. 

Edited by ECHornet

10 hours ago, CRA said:

A RB? In the 2nd? 

I actually disagree that Chubba Looked good. I think Chubba actually looked pretty bad throughout the season. He can't block, he can't catch, and he would get tripped up really easily. He only averaged 3.6 yards per carry which is... not good. 

I'm honestly not that high on Chubba and think that we could probably find a better backup in this year's draft. 

10 hours ago, CRA said:

A RB? In the 2nd? 

Exhibit A being Elijah Mitchell being an absolute force outplaying Sermon (beyond his injuries). Early vs late rounders taken in the same draft.

Which is also why I’m a huge fan of using late rounders this year on WR and RB. OL 1-4, 5-7 BPA

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

Your suggestions would have us trade away our best player while crippling our cap. There aren’t a ton of promising outlooks for 2022. Fortunately, things could change quickly with our cap situation going into 2023 and, if played right this off-season, plenty of draft capital + comp picks. 

Our best player has played 30% of the games the last two years. Our OL is terrible and he’s avg 4.6 ypc. We’ve also shown no desire to start him at a position he’s probably more physically suited to play. 

The Rams just straight up released Todd Gurley with a very similar situation and they carried 15 mil of dead cap. Hasn’t really hurt them too badly…..

Idc about the dead cap. I really think as long as you’re not carrying a ton of contracts with dead cap the team can build and recover. More importantly it allows the offensive staff to move on and gameplan without CMC on their mind. Bc a gameplan WITH him is completely different than a gameplan without him. Unless that player is healthy 100% of the time it becomes a hindrance. 

On 1/17/2022 at 12:11 AM, Jay Roosevelt said:

2022 NFL DRAFT:
The goal is to trade down and recoup some of the picks we gave away in the Sam Darnold trade. 

Oof

the goal of the draft is not to make Sonny SofaSurfer’s offseason more interesting by having Lots Of Picks.

chasing your own tail trying to overcompensate for the mistake the darnold trade was would only be doubling down on that mistake. The panthers can work with the offseason they have relative to their needs.  Overreacting is only going to make the problem worse.

also all those picks are bad

Edited by Growl

there’s also a bunch of other weird inconsistencies here that don’t make sense

the giants intend to take a QB but wait until their second selection to do so? Why would they do that? Why put a franchise guy at risk? 

if teams love a QB enough to come up for them, why would the panthers pass on him? To “get back picks from the darnold trade”…? Picks don’t fix the panthers. Valuable picks fix the panthers. A second would be nice (not the player you projected though) but it is vastly less valuable than addressing the need at the QB position. You can buy quality center play for pennies on the dollar. Nothing about this maneuvering improves the panthers chances of winning games.

you have the panthers give up the 6th pick in the draft and all they get out of it are the literal Darnold trade picks they haven’t made up for yet, they don’t even get multiple 1’s??

do you have any idea how much valuable 6 is than 11?

Edited by Growl

39 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I actually disagree that Chubba Looked good. I think Chubba actually looked pretty bad throughout the season. He can't block, he can't catch, and he would get tripped up really easily. He only averaged 3.6 yards per carry which is... not good. 

I'm honestly not that high on Chubba and think that we could probably find a better backup in this year's draft. 

Agree except I think we can upgrade that position with UDFAs.

• Pie 1