• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't kill the messenger.. QB idea..

WOW!!

Jimmy G is essentially what we thought we’d be getting with Teddy.

The time for that type of QB has passed for this regime. I honestly don’t know what to put alongside Darnold but if it’s a game manager type, they’ll need to step TF up with the OL and skill position players. 

Need a OL, legit TE, game breaker at WR, and a better CMC backup to make life easier for a Jimmy G and that’s not happening. Someone like him would flutter out here.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Has he said he doesnt want to be there?  And "steep" in theory to obtain him would at least be a 3rd probably a 2nd.  Plus a new contract 5 year around 35 per.    So yeah steep

Garropolo has already had his big payday. Short of winning the Super Bowl, he's not going to stay in San Fran, and he's not going to get anywhere near $35 mil per because his body of work doesn't command that type of money. His status all hinges upon what happens in the coming days. Nothing else really makes sense.

55 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont think he is anywhere close to ready and nowhere near as good as jimmy g.  They have him on a deal they probably will just keep him as insurance

Now, no, but after more year of NFL experience...probably.  They will keep Jimmy G and redshirt Lance one more season.  Jimmy hits the FA market for probably a 3rd round comp and Lance has two NFL seasons under his belt.  I suspect Lance will get more reps next year in mop up duty and if Jimmy is dinged at any given point.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 2

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Now, no, but after more year of NFL experience...probably.  They will keep Jimmy G and redshirt Lance one more season.  Jimmy hits the FA market for probably a 3rd round comp and Lance has two NFL seasons under his belt.  I suspect Lance will get more reps next year in mop up duty and if Jimmy is dinged at any given point.

You guys are going out on a limb. Just saying. I've heard entirely different for weeks. 

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You guys are going out on a limb. Just saying. I've heard entirely different for weeks. 

Lance is more physically gifted and talented than Jimmy G.  Jimmy has two things Lance doesn't have yet, veteran knowledge of the NFL and game experience.  Once he grasps that, he's a better QB than Jimmy G.

Jimmy is better than Sam, but that still doesn't mean Jimmy is good.  He's perfectly meh.  For a team that's probably going to be a 5-6 win team again at the absolute best...we really trying to trade draft capital to add 1-2 wins to our overall record? 

We've already cycled through a couple of Trent Dilfers in Teddy & Darnold. I don't really have interest in adding a 3rd in Jimmy G. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Jimmy is better than Sam, but that still doesn't mean Jimmy is good.  He's perfectly meh.  For a team that's probably going to be a 5-6 win team again at the absolute best...we really trying to trade draft capital to add 1-2 wins to our overall record? 

We've already cycled through a couple of Trent Dilfers in Teddy & Darnold. I don't really have interest in adding a 3rd in Jimmy G. 

I can see why fans would and wouldn't want Jimmy G. He's been tabbed as essentially a game manager who hasn't proven that he can put the team on his shoulders and raise everyone's level of play. He's also a winner though, whose stats for the most part are an improvement upon Teddy's, an obviously a huge improvement upon Darnold's. 

I am not averse to obtaining Jimmy G. I also wasn't against acquiring Teddy or Sammy. The problem was what our FO decided to give up--sacrifice--to acquire the two. If they're going to make stupid decisions regarding the money, structure and/or length of the contract, then they shouldn't explore Garropolo. If they can be sensible, then Garropolo could be a good bridge QB until we can do better. 

I don't think he'll be a Panther at the end of the day regardless. I believe that some other franchise ahead of us on the curve to legitimately competing will be a better fit for him. 

45 minutes ago, top dawg said:

What have you "heard" because my people I listen to say there is no way they move on from Jimmy without knowing 100% Lance is ready.  And right now based on his last time playing he aint ready.

https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/2022/1/13/22882119/jimmy-gs-last-stand-staffords-swoon-and-round-1-million-dollar-picks-with-ben-solak-peter-schrager

Bill Simmons and Ben Solak discuss the options that both parties have.  Its an interesting scenario

Jimmy G is more than $5.4mm better than Darnold. Plus, there's no way they'd want a $19mm backup if they're indeed moving on from Jimmy G. And why would they trade him for someone with zero value when they could get picks or a serviceable player at another position?

Edited by Borat