• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben McaDoo to interview for OC job

Jmac

2 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Yes, but there's precedent for flameout head coaches still being very successful as coordinators. Steve Spagnuolo comes to mind. And good or bad, I thing any NFL HC experience would be valuable on the Rhule coaching roster. Not saying McAdoo is at the top of my list, but I don't see anything here to merit the kneejerk dismissiveness the board is treating this news with. 

I would say 98% of the fanbase wants rhule gone. So any OC candidate outside of a very, very small few is going to get this kind of reaction. Especially after that glazer report of “needs to be a rockstar hiring.” McAdoo is underwhelming but he’s probably the best Matt rhule can do. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

You are aware how much potential for long term damage there is in one lame duck offseason, right?

I dont know about long term damage as long as they dont really really fug up this draft.   It worked out pretty well in 2001 and 2010.  Identical situations IMO.  The key as I stated is dont let rhule overdraft some jack off qb at 6 and trot him out behind this dogshit line.  That is a recipe for disaster.  That move would really really set us back a bit.  Build the line, make rhule play darnold, and keep plowing ahead.  2022 is going to suck no matter who the coach is.  0.0% chance we make the playoffs so might as well go all in on a rebuild.  Something as you know we should have done in 2020.

15 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Yes, but there's precedent for flameout head coaches still being very successful as coordinators. Steve Spagnuolo comes to mind. And good or bad, I thing any NFL HC experience would be valuable on the Rhule coaching roster. Not saying McAdoo is at the top of my list, but I don't see anything here to merit the kneejerk dismissiveness the board is treating this news with. 

No one trusts a coach, who is 10-23 in two years and has made almost every wrong personnel move at each turn, to select a competent person to be OC. McAdoodoo’s recent track record would indicate this will fail just like everything else associated with this failure of a head coach. 

2 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

No one trusts a coach, who is 10-23 in two years and has made almost every wrong personnel move at each turn, to select a competent person to be OC. McAdoodoo’s recent track record would indicate this will fail just like everything else associated with this failure of a head coach. 

zac taylor had 6 wins total after year 2.  Just playing devils advocate here

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

At least they looked competitive before Burrow got hurt last year. They was starting a third string qb as well. We haven’t even been competitive at all, and that’s with them thinking they had a franchise qb in Darnold. There’s no devils advocate here lol

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Obviously there are exceptions but there is nothing about this coach that makes me optimistic. There is a fundamental issue with his strategy and preparation for NFL opponents. The bengals also had a franchise QB.

Ignoring the "rockstar" report from Glazer, I agree with the people that say McAdoo checks all the boxes of an OC that Rhule wants/Thinks can help the team win. 

He was a HC, he was a successful coordinator, he has worked with elite players in the past.

He is by far the most qualified candidate for the job.

Do I think it will work out and he will actually help us win? No. This ship is sinking faster than the Lusitania and McAdoo can't fix that. 

I'm mentally preparing myself for "Interim Head Coach Ben McAdoo" after game 10 next season.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'm mentally preparing myself for "Interim Head Coach Ben McAdoo" after game 10 next season.

Thats probably going to happen but I would prefer rhule just take this puppy all the way home.  Let him go completely down with the ship instead potentially getting some new coach bounce and getting a win or 2 fuging up our draft position

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

I would say 98% of the fanbase wants rhule gone. So any OC candidate outside of a very, very small few is going to get this kind of reaction. Especially after that glazer report of “needs to be a rockstar hiring.” McAdoo is underwhelming but he’s probably the best Matt rhule can do. 

Yeah, pretty much this. Any other OC would probably need to come with a complete regime change. But IF we're saddled with Rhule, and IF we've got no other choice but hope for the current regime to turn things around, I don't hate McAdoo for the job.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Captroop said:

We're not talking about just flaming out in terms of losing games.

In McAdoo you've got a guy who totally lost the locker room and had multiple players actively speaking out about how bad he was.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Yeah, pretty much this. Any other OC would probably need to come with a complete regime change. But IF we're saddled with Rhule, and IF we've got no other choice but hope for the current regime to turn things around, I don't hate McAdoo for the job.

Saying mcAdoo is the best rhule can do isn’t a glowing endorsement. He’s trash. I’d rather go with pep Hamilton tbh.

• Beer 1