• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which NFL team has the saddest / most miserable fans? (Spoiler alert: it ain't us)

PanthersATL

On 1/18/2022 at 4:41 AM, kungfoodude said:

I gotta be honest, I like Detroit.

Detroit can be okay to visit, but not to live there.  Any place in Detroit worth living in...isn't called Detroit.  The city is making a come back, but that still doesn't change how crappy the weather is.

I am from Michigan and have been a Detroit Lions miserable fan for many years.  And you see where I'm doing my posting now (Panthers forum).  The only real way to survive as a Lions fan long term is to dash all hopes and become cynical and jaded.  Here's a fun fact.  Until the Lions hired Bob Quinn in 2016, they had never had a GM with a single bit of front office experience outside of the organization the entire time the Ford's have owned the team.  A crappy organization, that did nothing but hire unqualified guys and double down on their understudies.  The first GM hire under Ford was a former Lions player and radio announcer for the organization.  He lasted from the 60s all the way until the 80s...despite the team being bad and only made the playoffs 3 times over that span (no wins).  That guy was allowed to appoint his understudy, who was actually a bean counter for the team...not a football guy.  That guy also had zero experience in another team's front office or scouting dept.  He had a football guy give him some help, but with only 1 playoff win he was still the GM for 12 years until Matt Millen was hired in 2001.  We all know Matt had zero front office experience.  Matt was given an incredible 8 years before he moved on...and once again the bad GMs understudy was given the job.  That was the most experienced guy to hold the position in the last 45 years.  He had done a 9 month internship in the Redskins personnel department.  That was it.

If anyone wants to get a good laugh and walk thru what its like to be a Lions fan for 8 minutes, this video gives you some insight. (it looks like the NFL is blocking it from display, not sure how to link it)

"Infamous Moments in Lions History - Refs take 6 minutes to figure out a way to take a safety away from Detroit with 6:59 to go in the 4th quarter, tied 13-13. Lions lose 16-13 in overtime."

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Wes21 said:

Detroit can be okay to visit, but not to live there.  Any place in Detroit worth living in...isn't called Detroit.  The city is making a come back, but that still doesn't change how crappy the weather is.

I am from Michigan and have been a Detroit Lions miserable fan for many years.  And you see where I'm doing my posting now (Panthers forum).  The only real way to survive as a Lions fan long term is to dash all hopes and become cynical and jaded.  Here's a fun fact.  Until the Lions hired Bob Quinn in 2016, they had never had a GM with a single bit of front office experience outside of the organization the entire time the Ford's have owned the team.  A crappy organization, that did nothing but hire unqualified guys and double down on their understudies.  The first GM hire under Ford was a former Lions player and radio announcer for the organization.  He lasted from the 60s all the way until the 80s...despite the team being bad and only made the playoffs 3 times over that span (no wins).  That guy was allowed to appoint his understudy, who was actually a bean counter for the team...not a football guy.  That guy also had zero experience in another team's front office or scouting dept.  He had a football guy give him some help, but with only 1 playoff win he was still the GM for 12 years until Matt Millen was hired in 2001.  We all know Matt had zero front office experience.  Matt was given an incredible 8 years before he moved on...and once again the bad GMs understudy was given the job.  That was the most experienced guy to hold the position in the last 45 years.  He had done a 9 month internship in the Redskins personnel department.  That was it.

If anyone wants to get a good laugh and walk thru what its like to be a Lions fan for 8 minutes, this video gives you some insight. (it looks like the NFL is blocking it from display, not sure how to link it)

"Infamous Moments in Lions History - Refs take 6 minutes to figure out a way to take a safety away from Detroit with 6:59 to go in the 4th quarter, tied 13-13. Lions lose 16-13 in overtime."

It all starts at the top. Tepper better get his poo together 

10 hours ago, PghPanther said:

Panthers have the most apathic fan base I've ever seen.......everyone from somewhere else.......corporate PSLs....

Over 50% of PSL’s are original owners from 1995, by definition locals…

…and of the overall PSL count the “corporate” slice is very small — big corporate owns the boxes. 

On 1/19/2022 at 7:47 AM, Wes21 said:

I remember watching this bullshit recapped on SportsCenter or one of the other highlight shows in 2005.  Both the Packers and Lions were awful that year so I think how truly inexplicably terrible of a call that was has been lost in the ether.

35 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

I remember watching this bullshit recapped on SportsCenter or one of the other highlight shows in 2005.  Both the Packers and Lions were awful that year so I think how truly inexplicably terrible of a call that was has been lost in the ether.

Its definitely not lost on Lions fans.  I have watched a ton of football in my life and there are a few teams that truly get screwed more than others...and a few teams that truly get preferred calls more than others...then most of the league kind of falls somewhere inbetween.  The league can continue to make bad calls in favor of certain teams and against certain teams because it gets lost in the shuffle.  Noone really cares that the Lions are on the far end of the spectrum because they still suck.  So it would be the difference of going 5-11 vs 3-13 or 7-9 vs 4-12.  They aren't suddenly going to be a contender if you flipped around the calls.

Here is a funny one that happened early in a playoff game.  They actually called pass interference on the Lions defender for getting his head ripped off.

image.png.b1518b336a37571e633c00f2fa485b13.png