• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kirk Cousins Trade Potential?

AndrewLaskoski

Idk why everyone hates on Cousins. He isn’t flashy but he’s actually a QB who came into the league pretty raw and has been steady with around a 100 QBR and 67% completions every year. Threw 33TDs to 7 INTs. I think if you’re looking for a stable veteran and not someone who’s going to be “the franchise” he could be a good pickup. You bring him in and then draft a LT and someone like Strong…I wouldn’t be mad at that offseason. 

• Pie 2

36 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Idk why everyone hates on Cousins. He isn’t flashy but he’s actually a QB who came into the league pretty raw and has been steady with around a 100 QBR and 67% completions every year. Threw 33TDs to 7 INTs. I think if you’re looking for a stable veteran and not someone who’s going to be “the franchise” he could be a good pickup. You bring him in and then draft a LT and someone like Strong…I wouldn’t be mad at that offseason. 

Read up on Cousins from Vikings fans.  Not a pretty picture.  On the surface, he looks good stat wise, but his teams have never gotten over the hump.  Cousins is good for 7-9 wins a year, no more, and that's assuming everything is perfect.

Look at what happens to the receivers where he was?  In Washington, in Minny, great were chased off by Cousins and his crazy contract demands and his erratic play.  

He would absolutely be an upgrade, but he's not enough to see us to the playoffs and build sustained success no matter how good his stats look.  we'd have to eat his $35 million cap hit, which would require us to off load Darnold.  How is that going to happen?

If he's cut, you know he's not playing for a "prove it" deal.  He's going to extract every red cent he can.

44 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Listen to the interview posted above.  Its crystal clear why that motherfuger needs to steer clear of charlotte

Cousins is a good QB. Does he have a big contract? Yes but he is atleast good. Just because Minnesota can’t win in the playoffs doesn’t mean he sucks. It’s a team sport and Kirk hasn’t really had a good offensive line the entire time he’s been in Minnesota. Minnesota had a bad defense this year and I believe last year as well. Saying he just puts up good stats but sucks makes no sense. You don’t put up those kinds of numbers consistently if you are bad. He has always been on a average ton below average team and yet puts up about Top 10 qb numbers.

1 hour ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Cousins is a good QB. Does he have a big contract? Yes but he is atleast good. Just because Minnesota can’t win in the playoffs doesn’t mean he sucks. It’s a team sport and Kirk hasn’t really had a good offensive line the entire time he’s been in Minnesota. Minnesota had a bad defense this year and I believe last year as well. Saying he just puts up good stats but sucks makes no sense. You don’t put up those kinds of numbers consistently if you are bad. He has always been on a average ton below average team and yet puts up about Top 10 qb numbers.

Here's a good little pod about Kirk - 

http://tun.in/piBO0

Take it for what it's worth, but the takes on Kirk are pretty damning.  I would hate to see the Panthers trade even more assets for a QB who won't take us over the top.

• Beer 1

The 49ers are trying to get a 1st of of Jimmy G lol. So yeah, you can spend a ton of cap and any picks on a QB that's just not going to be good enough either way. Alex Smith proved all of this already and some of you didn't pay enough attention. 

It just doesn't make any sense. We have already massively overpaid for Sam, just suck it up and draft a guy or sign a guy for cheap like we should have last year. If you think either would get Rhule to the playoffs then you have not been watching the Panthers the last two years. 

• Pie 1

from a Minnesota paper, January 22, 2022:

Vikings’ Kirk Cousins likely will be traded in coming weeks

"It will be surprising if the Minnesota Vikings don’t trade quarterback Kirk Cousins and his 2022 $35 million guaranteed salary, which comes with a $45 million cap hit, before mid-March.

Carolina, Denver and Cleveland make the most sense for Cousins, who turns 34 in August. New Orleans could also be a destination, but Carolina seems most likely. It’s highly unlikely the Panthers will bring back Cam Newton as their starter.

Cousins probably would need a three-year contract from his new team. A trade might be able to fetch the Vikings a second-round draft pick in return. It also could require the Vikings to pay at least $10 million of Cousins’ current contract. The draft pick could depend on how much of Cousins’ salary the Vikings would have to pay."

link

They also mention swapping QB with Cleveland.  

I have Cousins on one of my fantasy football teams.   Here's the season summary on him:

"Though Cousins is highly scrutinized, he's now reached 30 passing touchdowns and 4,000 passing yards in three of his last four seasons."

Obviously the Panthers first have to fix their atrocious OL.  And any QB will have to mesh well with the new OC Ben McAdoo.  But I could think of a lot worse talent wise.  However the money and contract length discussed in the article above are pretty daunting.