• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did Matt Rhule even really want to be coach of the Panthers?

hepcat

I really wonder if Matt Rhule even really wanted to be head coach of the Panthers in the first place. Everyone should know it’s basic job interview 101 to not be to eager or act too desperate to take a job. I mean if you gotta offer a guy a top 10 coaching salary before he’s coached a single NFL game, maybe that’s not a good fit?

Tepper guaranteed Rhule so much money that he would be eating tens of millions to rip up his contact, after he basically begged Matt to uproot his family from a comfortable gig in Waco and move to Charlotte. He hand picked Rhule to come save his shiny new franchise from “mediocrity” and now it’s not working out, but damn, I do wonder if Tepper just feels bad booting the guy he begged to coach his team out of town. 

No wonder he hasn’t said a word to the fans. It’s legitimately embarrassing and I doubt David has ever been in a situation in his life where he’s made such an expensive, public mistake. I doubt Matt really wanted this job in the first place. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

we are stuck with rhule until year 5. he's not going to lose out on that much money

Not unless Rhule does very well next year we aren't. He has to make the playoffs or I bet he's fired next year (barring something like an injury to the QB torpedoing a great offense)

8 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I remember reading that Rhule went to the Giants to see if they would match Tepper. Giants ownership said no and probably laughed at the stupidity of it. 

That never set right with me. He came across as a straight up mercenary. I get everyone factors in the bottom line, but, he wasn't excited about coaching our team or looking for the best fit, he went to the highest bidder. I am surprised he didn't refer to us as the North Carolina Panthers in his first press conference.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

In his interview he leaned into analytics, nutrition, getting the most out his players, athletic evaluations etc.  None of that has carried over

Sure it has. Analytics and athletic evaluations caused him to pass on an All-Pro rookie LT because his arms were an inch too short and try like hell not to play our own rookie OL at LT for the same reason despite him clearly being the best option available.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Probably sure. He obviously knew little about the NFL so that's fun. I get the angle and I'm sure it's part of the bigger mess but everything about Rhule's ego led him to belive he could do here what he did in some blah level school programs. The money just made it an easy mistake to make.

Now I wonder if even decent schools would be like 'hard pass'. Yes I understand how easy it is to get a HC position somewhere at that level but it would be hilarious if he had to go back to the bottom to get back to his middling level of coaching before here.

• Beer 1