• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This Boy got a Photon Cannon..

WOW!!

I don't care if a QB has a howitzer arm. Arm strength helps. Accuracy helps. Mobility helps. Toughness and calmness in the pocket help.

But the thing that matters the most is processor speed. Can you take the hike, move back into the pocket, go through all your progressions, make the right selection and fire the ball off safely in two seconds? If not, then you aren't going to make it in this league. Seriously, if it takes three seconds to do the job, you're toast. No matter what else you can do. Two seconds and boom, make the pass. Every time there's a play, two seconds is all you are guaranteed, you have to be able to make that.

At least 32 guys get to be starting QBs in the NFL each season. Of those, maybe only 10 can do this. That's all. They win the most games. They get the big contracts. They become the franchises.

Can this guy do it? Can anyone?

• Beer 1

He had a lot of pro-concepts and had a lot of presnap reading involved with the offense so he's ahead of where a lot of prospects are from that point of view.

Beyond the injury (which he appears behind) the one thing that gets me: escapability

A lot of immobile QBs can still be very sly about escaping pressure through quick footwork and the small nuances.  He tends to get sloppy under pressure footwork wise which can affect the throws to his second and third reads.  He can get to those reads quickly though so his progression is above-average from what I saw.

Mechanics: check (near top of class)

Progression/Reads: check (average to above-avg)

Arm: check (top of class)

Presnap: check (top of class)

Leadership: check (nothing out of this world)

Mobility: none (bottom of class)

Footwork: average (middle of class)

I like Strong, a lot. I think he has everything needed to be successful and has the ability to learn the things he's deficient in. Problem is, he needs to sit a year or two like Arron Rodges, and given the hottest of seats for Rhule, I dont think that's possible. I also want to see Zappe. Not a fan of Corral as I see a less talented Baker Mayfield. To me Pickett is the best on this draft, but we have got to fix the OL. 

1 minute ago, GOAT said:

Hmm makes you wonder about Kenny Pickett this year then.

Well he's technically Jersey but close enough.

It’s more a fun fact. The QBs I’m referring to are from a long time ago and has no relevance to any current QBs evaluation. 

Blanda

Montana

Kelly

Marino

Namath

Unitas

Carson Strong NFL Scouting Report

Pros
  • Top tier arm strength
  • Displays great touch on downfield throws
  • Clean throwing motion
Cons
  • Ball placement in all areas
  • Major risk taker
  • His lack of mobility is constantly evident

Carson Strong is a three-year contributor for the Nevada Wolfpack. He possesses good height and solid weight for the quarterback position in the NFL. As mentioned previously, Strong should post one of the slowest 40 times at the NFL Combine. In 2021, Carson Strong led the Nevada Wolfpack to an 8-4 record and a spot in the Quicklane Bowl. He was able to record 4,186 yards for 36 touchdowns and just eight interceptions on the year. He was awarded Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year honors for the second time in his career.

The first thing that jumps off of Carson Strong’s film is his natural arm strength. Easily able to push the ball down the field, he can throw 65 yards with ease. While some believe this ability is overrated, it is still something the defense must respect. It also pops up in other areas as his velocity to all levels of the field is consistently great. This gives Strong the ability to put the ball into windows that other passers couldn’t even attempt. Strong may have the strongest arm in this draft class. Furthermore, he also displays good touch down the field making him an exciting deep passer. He does all of these things rather seamlessly as well as he couples them with a clean, easy throwing motion that allows him to get the ball out quickly.

However, while Strong does have a talented arm, he is not without flaws. To begin with, his ball placement is routinely off. This makes throws that should be easy completions far tougher and sometimes just incompletions. It also handicaps the offense as Strong’s inaccuracy limits the chances for a run after the catch. In addition to this, he has never seen a throw he didn’t think he could make. Of course, this works in his favor oftentimes in college as his arm can make it happen. In the NFL however, he will not get away with these passes as often. His lack of mobility could also present a problem. As NFL pass rushers become increasingly more athletic, a QB’s ability to escape becomes more and more prevalent, and Strong simply doesn’t have it.

Edited by KatsAzz
  • Pie 1