• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers conducting 2nd interview with Jay Gruden today

UNCrules2187

6 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Of course, even considering that, there's always the chance I am wrong in my assessment of Rhule and that this is actually going according to plan and that there will be a monumental change in our fortunes next season. It could happen and it does happen in the NFL. I'm not seeing any signs of it, but there's always a chance I'm wrong.

You win the optimist award for the day.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, 1st down said:

Regardless of who is hired as OC, nothing will change as long as the offensive line is constantly blown up

FIFY

And .. I'm not going to blame Rhule for not having the offensive line straight after only two seasons. If it took only two seasons to fix an offensive line every team would have a good one.

An offensive coordinator that has reached the playoffs several times is good enough for me.  While you can say he never got out of the wildcard game the defense is partially to blame for that loss.  Something you can't hang on Gruden.  

What it does tell me is that he knows how to make in game adjustments and counter what defenses bring to him.  Something we haven't had in a VERY VERY long time. 

Gruden may not be the pick but I hope and pray that whoever they bring in has the mental capacity to counteract what a defense throws at us.

I would be happy with Gruden. 

• Pie 4

While not the "rockstar" everyone wants he'd actually be a solid hire for OC. Having someone with NFL connections and experience could be able to help bring in more NFL level assistant coaches instead of the current rhule's temple and baylor boys club that we have right now. He was a big part in developing Kirk cousins form RG3's backup to a starting caliber QB. By no means does that mean that we should trade for Kirk at his current price as that would be cap suicide.  

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

While not the "rockstar" everyone wants he'd actually be a solid hire for OC. Having someone with NFL connections and experience could be able to help bring in more NFL level assistant coaches instead of the current rhule's temple and baylor boys club that we have right now. He was a big part in developing Kirk cousins form RG3's backup to a starting caliber QB. By no means does that mean that we should trade for Kirk at his current price as that would be cap suicide.  

U think Fhule will allow him to get rid of his guys?

Hadn't looked previously because there wasn't any indication outside of the original rumor, but checking Gruden's background he and Rhule actually have some assistants in common.

TE Coach Brian Angelichio was previously with Gruden in Washington. Former QB Coach Jake Peetz was with him there for a short time as well (as a QC coach in 2014). Plus as previously mentioned, Tony Sparano was part of the Jacksonville staff when Gruden was OC there.

Heck, he even worked with one of his competitors for the OC job. Ben McAdoo was Jacksonville's QB coach in 2020.

Gruden has a couple of connections to Scott Fitterer too. Fitterer's old colleagues Scot McCloughan was the GM who hired him in Washington. We also worked with offensive assistant Shane Waldron who later moved on to Seattle.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hadn't looked previously because there wasn't any indication outside of the original rumor, but checking Gruden's background he and Rhule actually have some assistants in common.

TE Coach Brian Angelichio was previously with Gruden in Washington. Former QB Coach Jake Peetz was with him there for a short time as well (as a QC coach in 2014). Plus as previously mentioned, Tony Sparano was part of the Jacksonville staff when Gruden was OC there.

Heck, he even worked with one of his competitors for the OC job. Ben McAdoo was Jacksonville's QB coach in 2020.

Gruden has a couple of connections to Scott Fitterer too. Fitterer's old colleagues Scot McCloughan was the GM who hired him in Washington. We also worked with offensive assistant Shane Waldron who later moved on to Seattle.

Thanks a heap Mr. Scot for the valued inside information you always bring and share to the Huddle

• Pie 1

This is not thought to be a good job but with this offense, there is nowhere to go but up.  Any OC that comes in here and improves the offense is going to look good.  And as we have all speculated, they could get an interim HC gig.  I would think that one of the things they would want is to be able to pick their assistants. I wonder how that will go.

• Beer 2

Jay’s probably the most experienced aside from maybe McAdoo.  If we’re looking for a solid hire with experience, he’d be a good one.  Unfortunately, it’d probably end up with us having a mediocre record instead of a bad one.  I’d rather just flounder to a #1 overall pick and send Rhule packing

28 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

This is not thought to be a good job but with this offense, there is nowhere to go but up.  Any OC that comes in here and improves the offense is going to look good.  And as we have all speculated, they could get an interim HC gig.  I would think that one of the things they would want is to be able to pick their assistants. I wonder how that will go.

I would say Rhule would have to finish sub. 500 to be fired and it might take a complete breakdown. Either way I doubt the offense will be doing very good for that to happen so interim HC would be far fetched. Especially since Tepper is allowing Rhule to pick his OC.