• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A draft/trade question for my fellow Huddlers. Is a franchise QB worth (3) #1 draft choices?

SCO96

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our last two quarterback decisions were signing Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold.

Would you suggest their failure was just "bad luck" or does it point to a problem evaluating the quarterback position?

Those were more swings and misses due to being in a less than optimal situation. I'm not so sure anyone thought off them as surefire franchise QBs. What made those decisions so eye-raising and utterly bad was either the draft compensation, the structure of the deal or both. Teddy is a higher profile backup at worst and a journeyman stopgap at best. We  signed him for too long and for too much money. He should've been on a one-year prove-it deal. If he wouldn't agree to that, we should've let him go to the Bears. We tried to kind of fix it by dumping some of his salary, but then we went batshit crazy again by giving up too much for Darnold (I thought a 4th was about the highest we'd go). What should've been a one-year prove-it deal was inexplicably extended. 

TLDR: it wasn't the evaluation of the QBs that really did us in, per se, it was the overpayment in draft compensation and money that screwed us. 

I think where the QB evaluation--in and of itself-- will really be telling in the coming years is the passing up of Justin Fields. 

On an off note, I remember distinctly telling you that just because Rhule and company weren't high on Fields or Lance didn't mean they were right. And now you're calling Rhule and company all kinds of dumbasses (albeit for different reasons).

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I think where the QB evaluation--in and of itself-- will really be telling in the coming years is the passing up of Justin Fields. 

On an off note, I remember distinctly telling you that just because Rhule and company weren't high on Fields or Lance didn't mean they were right. And now you're calling Rhule and company all kinds of dumbasses (albeit for different reasons).

Don't recall ever guaranteeing that they were, though again those evaluations are still up in the air.

I'm more concerned about the areas where they've already shown they're doing a poor job.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't recall ever guaranteeing that they were, though again those evaluations are still up in the air.

I'm more concerned about the areas where they've already shown they're doing a poor job.

I would argue that the area they've shown that they've done a poor job without question is Teddy's contract and Darnold's contract. Though some disagree, I don't think that fact automatically means that if Rhule and company ever decided that three firsts, or something akin to it, is worth a legit franchise QB, that automatically means that the deal is bad.

Edited by top dawg

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

Not only that but it’s gonna be years before they decide he’s not the guy. “He just needs more time. He’s learning and growing.” Think about what rhule keeps saying about Darnold. 

Do you think Rhule really means that, or is he just spouting coach-speak to save face? 

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Do you think Rhule really means that, or is he just spouting coach-speak to save face? 

He keeps mentioning “he’s still a young quarterback” but who knows. I mean they played Darnold the last couple of games over Cam so its not a stretch to say they think they can still develop him. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

He keeps mentioning “he’s still a young quarterback” but who knows. I mean they played Darnold the last couple of games over Cam so its not a stretch to say they think they can still develop him. 

Develop him into being what? 😂

They may as well go out and get the Red Rifle, because that's about what I see his ceiling as.

These are dark times. 🤣

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Develop him into being what? 😂

They may as well go out and get the Red Rifle, because that's about what I see his ceiling as.

These are dark times. 🤣

My guess is they try to shore up the line and see how he does next year. I hope we lose every single game if that’s the case. Gets him fired and a #1 pick with a new staff that Tepper hopefully gets right this time. 

100%. Getting the most important position locked down for 10+ years is worth 3 1st round draft picks, anyone saying otherwise isn't thinking it through. I do agree tho it depends on how you define franchise QB.. My definition is Matthew Stafford level playing at that level for 10 years. So I wouldn't trade 3 1st round picks for Russ because he's probably in his prime or right past it already. I would do it for Mahomes, Allen, Herbert etc. 

14 minutes ago, Borat said:

Yes, but only in hindsight. That Lance trade is looking pretty suspect. 

Way too early to call it suspect when people knew he was gonna need to sit for a year or two. He’s already shown flashes in spot duty. Gonna be pretty crazy if he plays up in Green Bay this weekend tho with Jimmy injured.

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

Way too early to call it suspect when people knew he was gonna need to sit for a year or two. He’s already shown flashes in spot duty. Gonna be pretty crazy if he plays up in Green Bay this weekend tho with Jimmy injured.

I think it's suspect already given how basically all the 1) currently good QBs who 2) were drafted in the past 5 years were all pretty darn good as rooks / first-year starters.

But yeah, if he turns into a Herbert, good trade. And agree that this weekend will be compelling to say the least.